• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May-Ish 2015 SWO Rolling Board Thread

MIKEH

Glad to be here! I've been reading these threads long enough that I figured it was time to join!

25/Male
Non-prior
Some decent Professional experience (Banking, Investments)
3.46 in Finance
45 OAR (not good I know, but I had some outside circumstances effect this score. Excuses are worthless, so I'll spare the details and plan on re-testing asap if not picked up)
Already passed MEPS the day after taking the OAR in Feb.

Good luck to you all!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Glad to be here! I've been reading these threads long enough that I figured it was time to join!

25/Male
Non-prior
Some decent Professional experience (Banking, Investments)
3.46 in Finance
45 OAR (not good I know, but I had some outside circumstances effect this score. Excuses are worthless, so I'll spare the details and plan on re-testing asap if not picked up)
Already passed MEPS the day after taking the OAR in Feb.
Yes, your OAR is a bit below average, but the 3.46 GPA could help offset that. Get a few (4-5) quality LORs from Professors, Coachs, Supervisors, or Military Officers (SWOs if possible), and you could possibly make it on the next board if the selection % is favorable. If not... retake the OAR & resubmit. Meanwhile, peruse the SWO, OCS and other Forums, and learn as much as you can about the life you are seeking!:eek:

Keep your eyez on the prize!;)
Surface_Warfare_Officer_Insignia[1].png
BzB:cool:

goldmanharry91

@USSMaximus can't figure out how to get my states to show underneath my posts.

SWO/Supply
23/Male/Non-Prior
American University: B.A. International Relations conc. in International Business, 3.44 GPA
OAR 49

@BusyBee604 I already have in 4 LOR that I consider to be pretty strong: A former supervisor, a college professor of mine who really liked me, and then two close family friends who have known me for 10+ years. If I knew a SWO, know him O.K. but more like an acquaintance than a friend, would it be good to ask for a LOR?

Last edited:
New to the forum! Applying for SWO, finalized my kit Saturday and my OR turned it in yesterday. Still waiting to hear if everything is 100% correct and it's good to go in front of the board. My OR told me that he had received an email requesting for more SWO applicants (as well as 2 other positions that escape me). Not sure how valid it is but my OR has been reliable so far. So really not trying to start rumors, just adding some info I was given and seeing if anyone heard similar?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
... can't figure out how to get my states to show underneath my posts.
Go click on Information on your Profile, scroll down to bottom of the page and type in stats under Signature. They then will appear under every post.
I already have in 4 LOR that I consider to be pretty strong: A former supervisor, a college professor of mine who really liked me, and then two close family friends who have known me for 10+ years. If I knew a SWO, know him O.K. but more like an acquaintance than a friend, would it be good to ask for a LOR?
Yes, it's not a "must", but may help. SWOs are a 'clanish' bunch!;)

Your LORs look solid.
BzB

USSMaximus

I am on my phone, so it's a little difficult to type. However, you both have great stats. your GPAs will make up for the OAR scores. The board also likes to look at the whole person concept, so have great LORs and such.

Having LORs from friends and family isn't bad, but from what I read, the boards don't credit them as much because they are expecting them to be great. They seem to like LORs from people with titles like professors, bosses, etc. I think you will be completely fine, but if for some reason you don't get picked up, that would be something that I would change.

@DJKinsella89, welcome to the forum! I'm not sure if what your OR said will be a good thing or a bad thing. From what I heard, there were a lot of applicants at the board in February, and it had a 60% selection rate. So, most of the people who got a "no" will have to wait 6 months, and will be missing this board. From what it sounds like, there may not be a lot of applicants this board.

Anchors_Away

@USSMaximus good to know about the selection rate. From my understanding, in terms of numbers - we might have a few of the folks that applied to Pilot/NFO, were not selected, and put SWO as a second choice in this board depending on the most recent Pilot/NFO selection rate from earlier this month. Any idea what that was?

It sounds like the last two SWO boards had a large selection. My OR told me SWO is typically a 30% selection, which even that is larger than most other positions apparently. Hopefully the large selection rate continues into this upcoming board, and if what my OR said is at all true, there's a good possibility that it will be. And if total apps are down do to the last board, well I can't see how that would be anything but positive for those of us who have applied (except if they delayed the board all together to wait for more apps...). One other bit of info my OR said was he's been hearing June timeframe for the SWO board to meet. Again, not trying to start anything just relaying info I've been told.

And I posted them in another thread but might as well post my stats in this thread too:

SWO Hopeful
26/Male/Non-Prior
University of Central Florida, B.S. Sports and Exercise Science, 3.48 GPA
OAR 57
LORs are from previous employers. I unfortunately don't know any O's well enough to start asking for a LOR from them.
MEPS cleared and squeaky clean criminal and drug history.

USSMaximus

The last few SWO boards were like in the 60 and 90 percentiles. Other than the waiting, they could also be picky at the board since there are not a ton of apps, but who knows. I'm staying optimistic. They said it would be "May-ish", but I can see it being early June if they are lacking applications. I want it to be in May! Who is your recruiter? You can pm me if you want @DJKinsella89