• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May 15TH Selection Board

PigzFly

Enjoy your body comp. Mine is all jacked up. I am 5' 10" at a stretch, and cent get below 215. I have one ab muscle (ha ha) and have not been below 200 lbs since I was 12. I am built short and wide. I have given up weights in order to drop the pounds. It has helped, but I feel like I get weaker and weaker every day. I seem to continue to lose number on my push up and sit up maxes continuously. I guess I just have to keep working.

PigzFly

I eat between 6 and 8 times a day, all small portions. the same thing I have been doing for the last six months. Every couple of weeks I will go and have something fat and nasty to boost my metabolism, ive got a couple of months. I just have to bust it!

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Pigz,

Just curious, have you noticed your bp coming down as the weightloss program has progressed?

Insomneo

I'm no expert on fitness, but if you're losing numbers on your maxes for the PRT due to not lifting maybe you could just lift lighter weights but higher reps? I'm assuming you're like me and enjoy weight lifting. For you this seems like lighter weights/more reps would be the best alternative.

Oh yeah, the Kansas City Cafe, from the scene in Top Gun where Goose played Great Balls of Fire ironically caught on fire. Sucked because I was stoked to see it. I did get some pictures of the outside though. The piano even went up in flames.

PigzFly

I kind of got lazy for a couple of weeks. Summer school and a lot of hours at work put working out on the back burner for a bit. I have recently plunged back in to the training. I hate doing the push ups and sit ups, so I wasnt doing them as much. I still have been focusing on running to lose weight, but have started the pu and su's again. Anyone who understands how the body works would agree that the body becomes used to a strenuous routine and fights the weight loss, and actually slows the metabolism. There are two basic ways to push through what is considered "the training plateau." To push harder until it is final broken, which can take a while, or to revert to alternative training and/or reduced rigor. I hit the plateau and instead of pushing harder to break it, or cross training, I just got kind of lazy. Now that I have kicked it back up, I have lost over two pounds through the weekend.

The strength thing I think is just that I havent been doing as many push ups and situps as I should be. I know I am losing strength that I previously had bc I am not lifting weights, but If I do more push ups and sit ups I will increase my numbers. The thing is that push ups are a completely different exercise than the bench press. Some of the same muscles are used, but in different manners and different form. Of course increasing the strength of the muscles used will increase the ability to adapt easier to perform more push ups, but just being strong in the chest doesnt make someone able to do more pushups. Thats why seals, who do more push ups than any normally sane person ever would, are usually small guys. The big strong bulky guys usually have trouble through BUDs. All in all its just about busting ass and getting it done. NO EXCUSES

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Pigz and I have already done our fair share of this but I just wanted to hammer on a really good point. Train for pushups and situps for the PRT, but don't get comfortable with passing PRT scores.

At OCS, they will be making us hold uncomfortable positions for seemingly endless periods of time. The 'resting' position for pushups is in the 'up' position. So, in between the actual exercises, your DIs will want you to stop and hold in the up position so they can tell you whatever it is you did wrong to get there in the first place. Same goes for any other exercise - resting will not be resting, it will be painful.

Moral of the story - get used to doing sets of pushups without putting a knee down or breaking form. Do 20, then hold in 'up' for a minute or two, then do 20 more. Apply this to your core workouts too - 6 inches, 90 degrees, hold 6 inches for a while. Hope that made sense - we got a ton of that in my rat year in the VTCC.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I was just doing the 4 OCS NKO courses, and the one pertaining to the PRT says you can rest in either the up or down position for curl-ups. However.. it was also referencing Pensacola, so it might be a bit out of date.

That is true for curl-ups. Keep in mind that there's way more to OCS than just the PRT. We're going to be beaten to the point where the PRT feels like recreational exercise.

betbbent

Hello Every one.... I was Pro- Rec on May 26th then found out on June 5th that I was TNPQ.... so I decide to wait before I posted I found out on 14th of July that I was Medical cleared... On the 22nd of July my CO and XO gave me my final select and Welcome aboard letter... I will be going to OSC on 21 SEPT 08.... Just waiting for those orders to pop.... This website helped time pass....

Nikki2184

for both sit-ups and push-ups the "resting" position is the up position at OCS. DIs make the rules, not Navy regs. So, for sit-ups, if you want to rest, you've gotta do it in the up position which is still working your abs. Be careful about this, cuts down how many sit-ups you can do.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
for both sit-ups and push-ups the "resting" position is the up position at OCS. DIs make the rules, not Navy regs. So, for sit-ups, if you want to rest, you've gotta do it in the up position which is still working your abs. Be careful about this, cuts down how many sit-ups you can do.

but it's only 2 mins. i find its not an issue of resting during the 2 mins, its trying to cram as many as i can in 2 mins and finding ways to do them more quickly. holding feet tight seems to be important in this, and if any one has any suggestions for ideas for speeding up the situps more, i'm all ears.

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
I had surgery on my nuts (it sucked), it wasn't on the waiver guide and no one knew what to do with me. I eventually had an appointment with a flight surgeon and was cleared. normal waivers should only take about 3 weeks though (or so I hear).