• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marriage

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
A4sForever said:
if you have to ask others "when" to get married ... I would suggest the answer might be: NEVER.

Onyssius, I do believe you've been owned.

A4sForever, thank you, sir. I've been trying to get him that good for years.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Just to show that I place no value on the advice given in this forum, I proposed to my girlfriend on thursday night.

Holy $hit I'm gettin' hitched!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DocT said:
Just to show that I place no value on the advice given in this forum, I proposed to my girlfriend on thursday night.

Sucker! ;)

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
DocT said:

Congrats Doc... welcome to the club.

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
DocT said:

Congratulations!!

Onyssius

Getting back on subject, my question was regarding when the best time would be to get married while I'm in flight school. I've had the ring for a month, and I'm gonna propose next time I see her. All I really want to know is if there is enough down time while I'm in flight school to have a wedding, or if we should wait til later to have one. That's it...and I'm catholic.

KimberlyD

Onyssius, I get the Catholic thing now & wanting to get married in the Church, we're Southern Baptist so it wasn't as big a deal.

I would like to reiterate that there is NEVER a good time to get married. My husband & I planned a wedding for November 3, 2001. He was returning fr deployment mid-October & we were going to have plenty of time to get stuff done. The Command knew & supported him in getting married & taking leave. We were even told it was a great time b/c coming fr a squadron, they do 2 week leave periods in 2 shifts, my husband would just get the 2nd leave period. 9/11 occurred & instead of getting married on November 3rd, I attended my friend's 1 year old's birthday party. November 9th the Airwing flew in & we went to the JOP.

The best laid plans can get shot to hell.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Onyssius said:
That's it...and I'm catholic.

To be a little more helpful,

My fiance and I are also Catholic. The thing we're running into snags with is scheduling the Pre-Cana classes so we can go together, which is preferable to attending separately. The problem: I'm in API in P-cola right now and she's in college near Philly. We're kinda cutting things close for a June wedding.

The Church has a few things that need to be done prior to marriage. And yes, best laid plans do often get shot to hell.

I'm scheduled to get married on June 10. That timeframe (not exact date) was decided upon when I thought I was going to be a SWO and not a NFO. Which brings another sticking point... I may very well be in primary at that point. And I've been getting a million and a half versions on how much or if i can take leave.

Kimberly brings up a point.. the JOP is an option. I personally am not going to do it (I'm a traditionalist when it comes to ceremony), but I have freinds who have, and then had the Church ceremony afterwards.

ip568

None
The top two guys in my AOCS class (snowflakes) dropped out of flight training because their wives began giving them so much grief about the "danger" and "time away from home." I suggest you and your girl discuss this in depth. Your mileage may vary.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
TheBubba said:
Umm... 42?

So THAT'S the ultimate question to life, the universe, and everything. And I always thought it was "What's 6 times 7?"

If you got that last joke, rejoice, you are a geek too.

KBayDog

TheBubba said:
My fiance and I are also Catholic...the JOP is an option. I personally am not going to do it (I'm a traditionalist when it comes to ceremony), but I have freinds who have, and then had the Church ceremony afterwards.

@Onyssius: Talk with your priest in order to find out what your local Diocese policies are before you consider a JOP. It may be hard to have the Church recognize the marriage unless the marriage is performed by a priest during a mass (or even just a liturgy).

My wife and I are "traditionalists," kind of like Bubba, and had ours during a full mass. The actual marriage docs were signed after the mass was completed.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
BurghGuy said:
So THAT'S the ultimate question to life, the universe, and everything. And I always thought it was "What's 6 times 7?"

If you got that last joke, rejoice, you are a geek too.

Great... all of my cool points just turned into geek points...