• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marriage

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
I don't know for sure, but based on other peoples responses and bits of knowledge it seems as though they'll give you time to get married, but not necassarily for a week-long honeymoon.

KBayDog

TheBubba said:
How's the leave policy (like leave not over a holiday) a training command? Is it like "maybe" or more like "hell no"?

Depends on your command, but I wouldn't count on it. What I've seen (of the few folks I've known who have gotten married while in the middle of flight training), you may get Friday off, but you've got to be prepared to brief/fly on Monday. I knew one guy who got Thursday through Sunday off (not for a wedding), but he was blazing through the program and was far above/ahead of his peers.

The problem with being out of the cockpit for any length of time is that your skills will atrophy (meaning you will have to spend time re-learning the material), and you will require "warm up" flights if your skills fall too far (or you are out of the cockpit for a really long time).

If you're really counting on that time off, your best bet is to let your chain of command know about it the day you check in. That will give them time to either work with you or tell you to take a hike.

Really, the only "long-term" leave you can count on is emergency leave or PTAD if you have a kid.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
I think that I addressed the the leave in VT land on a holiday standpiont, but the question is now leave in a "not holiday" time period. Your leave goes through STUCON, and the CO/XO usually goes with their recommendation if they say it should be a no go. I agree that you should bring up your dates right away, but I can tell you that every VT out their has some version of the same check-in speach, and that speach goes something to the tune of "each individual case will be looked at here, but unless it is an extremely rare situation or an extreme emergency, don't plan on taking any leave here because it will not be approved. You have no time for leave from now until you are complete!" Trust me, that is pretty close to the way all the VT's give it to you on the first day. Not only is the skill degradation from time out of the cockpit an issue, but with MPTS and class flow sytems to work through, you have a very set time to make it all the way from start to finish in primary, advanced, etc. Each squadron has production goals that have to be met and you are already slated to be somewhere else in a certain amount of time at the start of whatever phase you are entering. This is especially true of advanced but applies to all none the less. There is about 2 weeks of fudge built in to your syllabus, and that is usually burned up with delays due to wx, med down, squadron behind, hurricanes, any other unforseen event, etc. In short, there is not much time for or any time built into the system for leave. Your focus is expected to be flight training. As was stated above. and pretty well, any of these that we have had on a non-holiday situation have been AT BEST Friday off, back to work first event monday morning. Hopefully that helps answer your question.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
KayBay & Stinkster, thanks for the info. Pretty much answers my question.

Cheers, Bubba

zelda

Nomad
I'm a big fan of there's no rush. :) A legal wedding may make sense for those who want to get a head start on setting up all the military benefits (healthcare, pay, BAH, etc). Planning a large wedding can be tough - although a lot depends on location (wedding close to you, close to home, or other destination), costs (you and spouse paying or in-laws & family helping, etc - will you need time to save $$), and of course time of year.

Not sure how much help that is, but give it a go! Do what will make most sense for the two of you guys. Who knows, you may decide to get married but then do the big schbang wedding on your one-year anniversary :icon_smil .

Isela

Raptor2216

Divorce rate for ages between 20-24 is up near 70%...and i'm sure most of those people loved each other very much at the start so to put it simply, prenup is a must!

FlyingBeagle

pilot
P_ubhi18 said:
Divorce rate for ages between 20-24 is up near 70%...and i'm sure most of those people loved each other very much at the start so to put it simply, prenup is a must!

I don't think statistics should play any part in this kind of decision. About the prenup, who knows, you might come out ahead with some of her cash.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyingBeagle said:
I don't think statistics should play any part in this kind of decision. About the prenup, who knows, you might come out ahead with some of her cash.
By not getting a prenup, your basically saying that you're not ever planning on achieving anything in your life and that there's no possibility that you'll ever make more money then you do now. If someone had told me at age 20 that I'd be making a six figure income and be getting a $125,000 bonus from the Navy to continue to fly jets, I would have laughed in their face. The chances of getting in an automobile accident are much lower then divorce, yet you buy car insurance. A prenup is just another form of insurance.

Brett

KBayDog

Brett327 said:
The chances of getting in an automobile accident are much lower then divorce, yet you buy car insurance.

True, but the laws in many states require insurance (or paying an "uninsured motorist fee") in order to put your car on the road. Therefore, insurance basically becomes mandatory.

No so with a prenup.

*EDIT: By the way, since you brought up the car analogy, riddle me this: We go through training to learn how to drive, to learn to ride a bike (mandatory for DoD), to learn how to fly, to get a CCW, etc.

Why, then, are we so reluctant to go through the appropriate training prior to the life-changing process called marriage? Maybe it's just due to my Catholic faith, but I found the pre-marriage counseling (and training since I've been married) to be nothing but beneficial and positive experiences. I like to consider that my insurance policy - not insurance for my money, but for something much more valuable to me.

ThetaChi

pilot
Brett327 said:
By not getting a prenup, your basically saying that you're not ever planning on achieving anything in your life

Wow..... I bet chicks at the bar love that line...

zelda

Nomad
FlyingBeagle said:
About the prenup, who knows, you might come out ahead with some of her cash.

Interesting point FlyingBeagle. So the guys are in it for scoring some of her cash? ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This is one of the weakest threads I have seen in the 14 or so months I have been on this website. --- it will warp your mind if you read it more than once.

Someone, please, put it out of it's misery.

I don't have to read it ... I know that .... but let's be clear --- if you have to ask others "when" to get married ... I would suggest the answer might be: NEVER.

Cheers .... and lots of AW :) 's for the virtual honeymoon.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
A4sForever said:
I don't have to read it ... I know that .... but let's be clear --- if you have to ask others "when" to get married ... I would suggest the answer might be: NEVER.

I made a post like this before I got married and was misunderstood in the same way. The question is about scheduling around his Navy obligations, not "how old should I be before I get married."
Assuming he was asking what you thought, I completely agree. If there is the slightest doubt in your mind if you should get married the answer is no, and if youu have to ask when, the answer is not yet.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
True, but the laws in many states require insurance (or paying an "uninsured motorist fee") in order to put your car on the road. Therefore, insurance basically becomes mandatory.
I anticipated this angle. As an example from my own life, my vehicle is paid off, but I maintain full coverage insurance beyond what the state requires.

@ Theta: Hopefully, I'm not proposing in a bar as I'm meeting the woman in question. Usually, the women are the ones who pressure their men into getting married with various ultimata and whatnot. I say, if they're so intent on being married, then they can make with the prenup.

@ P_ubhi18: It's called ACCP (Aviation Career Continuation Pay), or more commonly "The Bonus." As it stands now, you become eligible after your initial commitment is up. Taking the bonus means you're obligated to another 5 years of aviation service and you receive $25K per year for those five years.

Brett