• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marksmanship

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Not sure if the OP has lost interest in this thread or not, but signing on with the Navy marksmanship team (usnmt.org) is also an option. I think they generally want you to volunteer at a few matches before shooting. Even if a CMP match doesn’t get you a qual, it’ll get in with the SAMI mafia, and getting small arms quals in the Navy often seemed to involve those kind of mafia relationships.
This is an option for anyone in the Mid-Atlantic. When I was at ROLC in Washington I met a JG that was on that Navy team, he invited me over to Quantico where they shoot, but never took him up on the offer.

OP can also join the Expeditionary side of the reserves (Cargo, NSW, Seabees) they qualify as it is part of the EXW qual PQS (enlisted qual). We had intel types at our range day (E and O).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Where do you draw the line as to what's fundamental to a particular rate or designator? I had to complete the swim qual, the damage control trainer, and the basic firefighting school when I went to ODS. While I enjoyed each of them, it is highly unlikely that I will ever go on a ship. If I never need those skills, why are they fundamental?

And, as FLGUY eloquently points out, the "save money" part is hilarious: the amount of ammo I would consume to get qualified would be a rounding error on a rounding error on a rounding error.

In all seriousness, I am very aware that I am a POG. I don't think I'm special, and I don't think my designator is special either. However, I do think that everyone in every branch of the armed forces should be able to qualify with their branch's choice of firearms.

What could be more basic in the armed forces than knowing how to shoot?
If me, as a nobody GS-12 with a clearance can go to the range and shoot copious amounts of M-4 and M17 ammo on Uncle Sugar's dime, you as an actual uniformed member should be able too. ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If me, as a nobody GS-12 with a clearance can go to the range and shoot copious amounts of M-4 and M17 ammo on Uncle Sugar's dime, you as an actual uniformed member should be able too. ?
The reason the USAF has extra ammo for the CAP is because they got nothing to shoot at!?

I know many of us agreed to disagree, but maybe a marksmanship weekend would have saved us from this embarrassment (not knowing the CO, I hope there’s some sort of explanation)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
AF Security Forces folks now have optics on pistols. Very Gucci and cool!

This is the way.
Seriously? What for? Even with optics most pistol fights still look like the gun fight at the end of the movie Open Range…lots of shooting but not too much hitting.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

I know many of us agreed to disagree, but maybe a marksmanship weekend would have saved us from this embarrassment (not knowing the CO, I hope there’s some sort of explanation)
Agreed. It’s a joke either way, and despite how ignorant the USN insists on remaining with small arms (outside of select units, at least), the armorer and RSO in this situation should have known better.

I maintain that everyone in the military should know how to shoot, and basic firearm safety. It’s not that hard.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Agreed. It’s a joke either way, and despite how ignorant the USN insists on remaining with small arms (outside of select units, at least), the armorer and RSO in this situation should have known better.

I maintain that everyone in the military should know how to shoot, and basic firearm safety. It’s not that hard.
That CO got set up by his MA. I'm sure he's great at what he does, but how the F does this happen during a PR photo shoot...not the end of the world, but jeez

I'll say this (every Marine a rifleman), I've seen some stupid shit on deployment WRT small arms handling from aircrew.

If you're going to be responsible for handling a weapon, the currency of the training should exceed all the other BS annual training.

sevenhelmet

pilot
If you're going to be responsible for handling a weapon, the currency of the training should exceed all the other BS annual training.
This. I have always seen basic small arms as a fundamental military skill, just like learning how to march in formation and properly wearing a uniform. Even if you don’t know how to properly set up the optic, it should be obvious something (several things, in fact) is/are seriously wrong with that rifle, and you should hand it back to the armorer, not yeet away like a hillbilly (who, ironically, would likely know better, and suggest a fix.)

This one really speaks to our studied ignorance on firearms in general, which is a larger cultural issue. I’m teaching my kids basic firearm safety and marksmanship not because I expect them to like firearms, but because- in part- it’s a fundamental life skill that might help them recognize ignorance like this.

Ok, I’m really done now. Sorry, this one just grinds my “old man yells at cloud” gears. ;)

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
This. I have always seen basic small arms as a fundamental military skill, just like learning how to march in formation and properly wearing a uniform. Even if you don’t know how to properly set up the optic, it should be obvious something (several things, in fact) is/are seriously wrong with that rifle, and you should hand it back to the armorer, not yet away like a hillbilly (who would likely know better, and suggest a fix.)

This one really speaks to our studied ignorance on firearms in general, which is a larger cultural issue. I’m teaching my kids basic firearm safety and marksmanship not because I expect them to like firearms, but because- in part- it’s a fundamental life skill that might help them recognize ignorance like this.

Ok, I’m really done now. Sorry, this one just grinds my “old man yells at cloud” gears. ;)
I'll relay some observations (from a guy, as a 10 yr old, who shot a hole in the family TV with a.BB gun rifle while whole family was in the room watching Sunday football...I thought I was dry firing)

-1st deployment to Iraq: E-4 shoots a hole through meaty part of his palm, while trying to teach E-3 how to strip down the M-9 pistol. Evac'ed to Germany.

-2nd deployment to Iraq: Pilot inadvertently fires round into the clearing barrel prior to going into the chow hall. Later in the deployment, a pilot accidentally killed himself in the RR with his M-9.

Yeah, it's deadly important to be properly trained, like you said.

sevenhelmet

pilot
I'll relay some observations (from a guy, as a 10 yr old, who shot a hole in the family TV with a.BB gun rifle while whole family was in the room watching Sunday football...I thought I was dry firing)

-1st deployment to Iraq: E-4 shoots a hole through meaty part of his palm, while trying to teach E-3 how to strip down the M-9 pistol. Evac'ed to Germany.

-2nd deployment to Iraq: Pilot inadvertently fires round into the clearing barrel prior to going into the chow hall. Later in the deployment, a pilot accidentally killed himself in the RR with his M-9.

Yeah, it's deadly important to be properly trained, like you said.
I’ll bet the USN’s response wasn’t to ensure the individuals/units in these incidents were properly trained. It was probably to add more rules and restrictions, and effectively disarm more members of the military. Example: when I flew into combat, I wasn’t allowed to load my pistol. Pure bureaucratic stupidity.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
To the OP and others:

There used to be a semi-public, USMC-run range at Norfolk (Camp Ellmore? the name got changed at least once) where you could pay $50 for a Navy pistol qual and $60 for Navy rifle qual. This covered range time and ammo but not much in the way of instruction. Seems like a great option for reservists as it’s not impacting the range time or ammo of active units needing quals, yet they know how to administer the Navy qualification standard and generate the qual paperwork. I qual’d there but it was very much ad hoc. YMMV

FWIW, any RSO can administer the Navy rifle and pistol qual. The regs are in OPNAVINST 3591.1F.

With respect to the comments about “requirements” and mob, you will be given weapons training if and when you need it. The Navy actually codes this to your NE/NN billet number. If you aren’t being told to receive it, you don’t need it.

I might have shot more ammo as an 1835 than any other 1835 (excluding their time as an 1830 or previous rate/designator, and only counting in uniform with issued weapons, not sport shooting on own time/dime outside the Navy). You reach a point when you don’t want to shoot any more. It was pretty fun but like all fun it has an end.