• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marksmanship

AU_Aviation

Curious if anyone knows how I could locate a base, or facility, that will allow me to shoot the course for the pistol and/or rifle marksmanship badge(s). I'm currently with a joint unit that drills at an Air Force Base but am willing to travel a reasonable distance if needed.

Currently located in Missouri, 1.5 hours south of St Louis and 2 hours north of Memphis.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Curious if anyone knows how I could locate a base, or facility, that will allow me to shoot the course for the pistol and/or rifle marksmanship badge(s). I'm currently with a joint unit that drills at an Air Force Base but am willing to travel a reasonable distance if needed.

Currently located in Missouri, 1.5 hours south of St Louis and 2 hours north of Memphis.

Why not reach out to your local / closest Navy Reserve Center?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Not to be a dick, but unless it's a requirement for your job, please don't waste resources just so you can get a ribbon. Nobody is going to waste their NCEA on some reservist rando.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Brett brings up a good point that I failed to cover. Unless you're getting MOB'd or your specific RUIC billet requires it... it may be difficult for someone (either the NRC or elsewhere) to support you with gun quals.

AU_Aviation

Not to be a dick, but unless it's a requirement for your job, please don't waste resources just so you can get a ribbon. Nobody is going to waste their NCEA on some reservist rando.
I understand this, and that wasn't my intention or point of the original question.

I've been trained continuously on the civilian side, and LEO side, but wanted to see if there was an opportunity to translate that over to the Navy in any way. Not looking for a gift, or to force my way into anything just for a cert, but if there was an open space in a class I'd join.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I understand this, and that wasn't my intention or point of the original question.

I've been trained continuously on the civilian side, and LEO side, but wanted to see if there was an opportunity to translate that over to the Navy in any way. Not looking for a gift, or to force my way into anything just for a cert, but if there was an open space in a class I'd join.
I’d expect this to be difficult to nigh impossible. The military, and the USN in particular, places far less emphasis on small arms training than you might think. Outside of ROTC rifle/pistol teams, Specwar, and MPs, not many people get a chance to shoot for qualification more than a couple of times in their career.

As squadron MO, just getting squadron pilots and shore det maintainers over to the range to get qualified before deployment was a far bigger chore than it should have been.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I’d expect this to be difficult to nigh impossible. The military, and the USN in particular, places far less emphasis on small arms training than you might think. Outside of ROTC rifle/pistol teams, Specwar, and MPs, not many people get a chance to shoot for qualification more than a couple of times in their career.

As squadron MO, just getting squadron pilots and shore det maintainers over to the range to get qualified before deployment was a far bigger chore than it should have been.
I hear that random civilian dude in Pensacola is still selling the Pistol and Rifle qualification course, and apparently guarantees expert ;)

I’m kidding please don’t be one of those guys.

number9

Contributor
I would ask anyway. My unit has a rifle and pistol qual monthly. Ranges have been canceled because not enough people signed up.
My unit doesn't offer the ability to qualify, and my NRC doesn't offer it either.

While I realize that none of us is ever going to kick down a door, we are fundamentally (part of) a warfighting organization and I think qualification on small arms is something we should have the opportunity to do. ?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
My unit doesn't offer the ability to qualify, and my NRC doesn't offer it either.

While I realize that none of us is ever going to kick down a door, we are fundamentally (part of) a warfighting organization and I think qualification on small arms is something we should have the opportunity to do. ?
Unless you're going to do it as primary part of your job it's a waste of time, money, and resources. How many days in your Navy career do you expect to be carrying a side arm?

If you wanted to shoot every year you should have joined the Marines.

number9

Contributor
Unless you're going to do it as primary part of your job it's a waste of time, money, and resources. How many days in your Navy career do you expect to be carrying a side arm?

If you wanted to shoot every year you should have joined the Marines.
I don't agree, but that's ok.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

A pistol is not your primary weapons system. We operate platforms. If you need a small arms qual because you face a SERE scenario, then you’ll get that qual.

BigRed389

None
Why don’t you agree, because you should be in absolute agreement. What’s your designator and why does it require qualification on small arms?
Definitely agree it’s pretty much useless for a non deployed or anybody without a real need.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to ask if somebody wants to do it on their own time and a range and qualified SAMIs are running a course anyway. 9mm and 5.56 NCEA for the basic qual is decimal dust.

number9

Contributor
Why don’t you agree, because you should be in absolute agreement. What’s your designator and why does it require qualification on small arms?
I'm just an 1835, so my platform is a desk and a chair and PowerPoint.

While I realize that I seem to be in the minority on this, I cannot think of a more fundamental skill to have in the armed forces than knowing how to fire a weapon. ?