• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marksmanship

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
I remember when I was told every Marine was a rifleman and then proceeded to never qualify on a rifle after TBS. Some good dumpexs off the fantail when the grunts had spare NCEA to burn though!

number9

Contributor
The things you've listed are requirements, while your proficiency at shooting a pistol isn't. Your chances of winding up in the drink during a deployment at sea, for example, far outweigh your chances of needing to use small arms during that same underway period.
"It's a requirement because it's a requirement" is not a particularly compelling argument to me. I'm still just an ENS but I know many, many reservists in the IWC who were deployed to shore billets during the GWOT -- but I'm not sure I can think of a single one who was deployed to a ship.

People with expertise have made those decisions for you and codified them as policy. They've done the thinking for you.
Well, thank goodness the Navy never gets a policy decision wrong ;)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Unless you're going to do it as primary part of your job it's a waste of time, money, and resources. How many days in your Navy career do you expect to be carrying a side arm?

If you wanted to shoot every year you should have joined the Marines.
As a SWO on a ship, I carried a pistol on my hip far more often than I ever thought I would. I know it may not be the same for all officers.

The amount of money you would “save” the government by….. -checks notes- not signing up to knock out your pistol and rifle qualifications is such an inconsequentially small amount of money and resources that it would have next to zero effect on “efficiency”, nor would it detract from an Officer’s overall stance on the efficient use of resources.

If there is a unit somewhere that has open slots on a range, and they allow anybody to sign up, don’t feel like you shouldn’t because “it’s not required for your designator”. Just make sure you aren’t taking any resources away from any SEALs waiting in the wings. ;)
The SEALs, SWCCs, and EOD bubbas all have a minimum amount of ammo they have to shoot every so often. Believe you me, they are not hurting for NCEA or range time.

number9

Contributor
As a SWO on a ship, I carried a pistol on my hip far more often than I ever thought I would. I know it may not be the same for all officers.
Ok, this is a contrived example but: If I was a qualified SWO and some QMSN came up to me and said "Hey Sir, I have some free time*, could you please help me get better at navigation" I would put down whatever I could safely do so and help a shipmate get better at a fundamental part of being in a maritime service.

It would never occur to me not take a chance to improve my skills (or someone else's) at a fundamental part of serving in the armed forces.

* Given that you were a SWO on a ship, you can tell me just how laughable this prospect is :p

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I’m with @number9 . If you are attuned to it, the underlying attributes of being a good, safe shooter transfer over to other skills.

If you feel strongly about it, there are plenty of great civilian training programs available in CONUS that are far better than a “one and done” USN marksmanship drill that essentially teaches you nothing beyond basic M11/M17 manual of arms. The civilian courses just don’t give you a medal if you win.

I’ve done way more with marksmanship, appropriate defensive use of force, and practical shooting skills in the civilian world than the military had time or resources to teach me (not because of any deficiency- small arms proficiency wasn’t my job on AD.)

HuggyU2

None
Call the AF bases around you and get the number for CATM... Combat Arms Training & Maintenance. Those folks should be able to point you in the right direction if something is available.

number9

Contributor
If you feel strongly about it, there are plenty of great civilian training programs available in CONUS that are far better than a “one and done” USN marksmanship drill that essentially teaches you nothing beyond basic M11/M17 manual of arms. The civilian courses just don’t give you a medal if you win.

I’ve done way more with marksmanship, appropriate defensive use of force, and practical shooting skills in the civilian world than the military had time or resources to teach me (not because of any deficiency- small arms proficiency wasn’t my job on AD.)
I have two very small kids at home so free time is at a premium. But this is very good advice! Back in the day I shot IDPA regularly and really, really enjoyed it.

Call the AF bases around you and get the number for CATM... Combat Arms Training & Maintenance. Those folks should be able to point you in the right direction if something is available.
I didn't know that was a thing, thanks! I live near Hanscom AFB.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I have two very small kids at home so free time is at a premium. But this is very good advice! Back in the day I shot IDPA regularly and really, really enjoyed it.
I’m with you. Kids and work are why I don’t shoot competition any more (to say nothing of ammo budget…)

But I do make time for drills and classes a few times a year. It’s a great way to stay interested, proficient, and “shift gears” a bit from work and home life.

number9

Contributor
I’m with you. Kids and work are why I don’t shoot competition any more (to say nothing of ammo budget…)

But I do make time for drills and classes a few times a year. It’s a great way to stay interested, proficient, and “shift gears” a bit from work and home life.
I recently treated myself to a rack-grade M1 Garand from CMP.. would really love to get out there and try it some time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm still just an ENS
Yes, and I'm trying to help you chisel away at the word "just" with a little big picture perspective. While you may not agree with the rationale, you cannot disagree with its logic. You will encounter this principle often during your career. Whether the resources you're managing are people, time, money or material, there is never enough to go around and at some point YOU will be required to perform triage so as to maximize the benefit that your organization gets from those resources. That's all that this is.

Happy Thanksgiving

BigRed389

None

I was actually thinking the same. The basic quals are just that…basic. You can hit the broad side of a barn and probably not shoot yourself. Congrats.

If you really feel the need for self improvement in the fundamentals of the armed forces, shoot on your own time and dime. Very few states where you can’t pretty much get the equivalent of issue gear (or better if you so choose) and train like you would fight.

VMO4

Yea....every Marine a rifleman....I remember getting pulled off the flight line wearing overalls and a cranial, deep into a phase inspection, to go out on the grass next to the hangar and practice "echelon left" squad formations and hand signals, yet never qualified after Parris Island, funny what the leaders who "did the thinking for us" came up with as far as what was and was not the fundamental requirements of our job.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Yea....every Marine a rifleman....I remember getting pulled off the flight line wearing overalls and a cranial, deep into a phase inspection, to go out on the grass next to the hangar and practice "echelon left" squad formations and hand signals, yet never qualified after Parris Island, funny what the leaders who "did the thinking for us" came up with as far as what was and was not the fundamental requirements of our job.
And do it at MOPP 4 for the extra fun points!

number9

Contributor
Yes, and I'm trying to help you chisel away at the word "just" with a little big picture perspective. While you may not agree with the rationale, you cannot disagree with its logic. You will encounter this principle often during your career. Whether the resources you're managing are people, time, money or material, there is never enough to go around and at some point YOU will be required to perform triage so as to maximize the benefit that your organization gets from those resources. That's all that this is.

Happy Thanksgiving
One of the benefits of being new to an organization is that you are not beholden to the status quo, and you are more willing to ask "Why do we do it this way?" Anyway, happy thanksgiving to you too - I'm deep frying a turkey today! My in-laws will definitely be asking me "Why do you do it this way? :D