• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS Liberty

labella7020

My husband is currently attending OCS. I wanted to know if liberty starts after week 3 or week 4. I keep reading conflicting answers and just wanted to know if anyone who has gone recently could clarify this for me. Thanks in advance.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Wait till he calls you, or sends you a letter with the lowdown. Aside from him not having a really great idea of what's going on, a lot of times people get stuck with duty platoon which secures your liberty to on base. It would be a total bummer to spend your weekend eating at Subway on base and not holding hands as you walk down the streets of Q-town.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Wait till he calls you, or sends you a letter with the lowdown.

x2. Watched two classmates at OCS fume because their girls were waiting well over 8 hours for them to be secured for liberty. :icon_rage I was mad we weren't secured also, but I didn't have anyone waiting for me.

labella7020

Thanks guys. this has been alot of help as its hard to get straight answers from ones who don't know. I have been receiving letters but I will wait to plan my trip when I have more concrete information from him. This is just the beginning of his 3rd week and it has been a big transition for me and I'm sure it is for him as well. I'm just ready to see him. Thanks again!

AJB37

Wait till he calls you, or sends you a letter with the lowdown. Aside from him not having a really great idea of what's going on, a lot of times people get stuck with duty platoon which secures your liberty to on base. It would be a total bummer to spend your weekend eating at Subway on base and not holding hands as you walk down the streets of Q-town.

The duty platoon can go to Q-town... not that it makes duty platoon suck any less, but they can still go into Q-town.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The duty platoon can go to Q-town... not that it makes duty platoon suck any less, but they can still go into Q-town.

Granted, but what I meant was that the Thought Police would take you away if they saw a Party member holding hands in public. Telescreens are everywhere in Q-town and Stafford.

btw...If you don't get it, your public school education sucks.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Granted, but what I meant was that the Thought Police would take you away if they saw a Party member holding hands in public. Telescreens are everywhere in Q-town and Stafford.

So what they're REALLY doing at OCS is training new brave soldiers for our ongoing war with Eurasia?

I see....doubleplusgood. :D

AJB37

Don't worry my public edumacation is up to par.:D

jpmatta16

Thanks guys. this has been alot of help as its hard to get straight answers from ones who don't know. I have been receiving letters but I will wait to plan my trip when I have more concrete information from him. This is just the beginning of his 3rd week and it has been a big transition for me and I'm sure it is for him as well. I'm just ready to see him. Thanks again!
Keep in mind that he gets liberty after the third week there, so that means the 4th weeknd because he reported on a wednesday and week 1 donesnt start untill monday. I'm also married and I went through OCS this summer and it was tough on my wife, she made it up there my second weekend of liberty meaning the end of week 4 for us but it was our 5th weekend there. And trust me is as hard on him as it is for you, he might not be able to think about it much during the day but he will at night. This is my own advised and it was what worked form me, write him letters daily because for me there was nothing better after having a hard day to get a leter from my wife and my son. hope this helps you in some way

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor

http://www.wytestonesuiteswoodbridge.com/

This is a good place for you guys (or just him if you aren't there) to go for R and R. Great value for the money and within walking distance to everything important to a Marine on libo from OCS. You can throw a rock and hit an Outback Steakhouse and walk to Potomac Mills Mall. Once you get there you never need a car or cab. My son stayed there often.

labella7020

Keep in mind that he gets liberty after the third week there, so that means the 4th weeknd because he reported on a wednesday and week 1 donesnt start untill monday. I'm also married and I went through OCS this summer and it was tough on my wife, she made it up there my second weekend of liberty meaning the end of week 4 for us but it was our 5th weekend there. And trust me is as hard on him as it is for you, he might not be able to think about it much during the day but he will at night. This is my own advised and it was what worked form me, write him letters daily because for me there was nothing better after having a hard day to get a leter from my wife and my son. hope this helps you in some way

That was exactly my question- thank you. I was confused because he checked in on Thursday Oct. 1 and I was thinking that counted as a week. So he will probably not get libo until Oct. 31. That makes sense. Was your wife able to visit you often? Did you have platoon duty alot or were you ever not allowed to go on libo? I write him everyday, sometimes twice a day and I pray that it helps him get through it. I can't imagine what he is going through. He was prior enlisted and sometimes I wonder why he would want to put himself through that again. I worry that they are harder on priors but maybe not...I support him all the way, especially if that is what makes him happy. Just a quick question...have you received your TBS orders and is your family going to accompany you. Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate your insight.

labella7020

http://www.wytestonesuiteswoodbridge.com/

This is a good place for you guys (or just him if you aren't there) to go for R and R. Great value for the money and within walking distance to everything important to a Marine on libo from OCS. You can throw a rock and hit an Outback Steakhouse and walk to Potomac Mills Mall. Once you get there you never need a car or cab. My son stayed there often.

Thank you so much for the link. I will check it out. This forum has been a great help!

jpmatta16

That was exactly my question- thank you. I was confused because he checked in on Thursday Oct. 1 and I was thinking that counted as a week. So he will probably not get libo until Oct. 31. That makes sense. Was your wife able to visit you often? Did you have platoon duty alot or were you ever not allowed to go on libo? I write him everyday, sometimes twice a day and I pray that it helps him get through it. I can't imagine what he is going through. He was prior enlisted and sometimes I wonder why he would want to put himself through that again. I worry that they are harder on priors but maybe not...I support him all the way, especially if that is what makes him happy. Just a quick question...have you received your TBS orders and is your family going to accompany you. Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate your insight.
My wife went to visit me 3 times, but it gets expensive. She went after week 4 and then again after week 7 and the last time was for graduation. On the first time she went I had duty PLT but my PLT Sgt was the best and gave me special libo and I was allowed of base. The reason for that was that my wife bought the tickets for my son and her to go up before I even knew what duty PLT was, so I explained him and he understood. I was lucky enough and never had to stand post during libo because we had many guys in Batallion probation and they would stand post, so it was never a problem for me. Keep in mind that if you go on a weekend that they have duty PLT and he gets special permit he will have to have a buddy with him, so you may be paying for his buddy hotel as well ( I had to do that). For what I heard by priors in my PLT OCS was a joke to them, and if they were square away in all their stuff the PLT staff was easy on them. I have not received orders and probably wont for a while since im PLC so I still have a year left in school, but to answer your question, yes my family is going with me to TBS, it puts a lot less stress in the family you know, and in my opinion is good to bring your support system for the hard times. if you have anymore questions just ask away dont worry.