• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine F/A-18 Mishap 12-8-08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, how does this work for those that had losses/damages?

I beleieve the government will usually negotiate some sort of compensation for them. HJ probably knows more.

Follow-up question: Is the any way the pilot could be held personally liable for this type of situation? What if there was just property damage but no one was killed?

I very seriously doubt it. I am not sure of the legalities behind it but I think that since he was in the line of duty there is little or nothing a private citizen can do against a member of the military. Again, HJ probably has more detail.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
man, what a shitty day. I cant say that I like that CNN released a photo of the pilot. Im sure the residents are sharpening their pitchforks now.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
man, what a shitty day. I cant say that I like that CNN released a photo of the pilot. Im sure the residents are sharpening their pitchforks now.

Wow. I just saw that. That is so beyond f*cked up to me, if that is indeed the ejectee. I wouldn't be surprised if some dumb candy assed reporter walked up and asked him how he felt about the results, god I hate the news with a passion sometimes. However, my thoughts and prayers are with the families, a truly tragic event for all involved.

Josh

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I beleieve the government will usually negotiate some sort of compensation for them. HJ probably knows more.

I very seriously doubt it. I am not sure of the legalities behind it but I think that since he was in the line of duty there is little or nothing a private citizen can do against a member of the military. Again, HJ probably has more detail.

Agree with Flash...arghhhh....about the damages. I've experienced two similar instances as ASO; USN paid.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
It won't stop some blood sucking ambulance chasing lawyer from trying.

Most likely not. The pilot probably doesn't have much money. The government is where the money is at. It doesn't do and good to get a $2m against someone if they can only pay $100k. The first thing that they teach lawyers is to sue whoever has the deep pockets regardless of if they are at fault. Blame them anyway.

tlord82

pilot
Said he was coming from the boat too. Anyone heard of taking a D to the boat?

Unrelated to this mishap, yes, we do take Ds to the boat for CQ at the RAG. Safe the back seat and you're good to go. You just have less gas (a lot less gas the newer D it is) and thus less passes before gassing up or heading to the beach. Actually, we almost brought a B to the boat in 125...but that got nixed.

srqwho

pilot
The first thing that they teach lawyers is to sue whoever has the deep pockets regardless of if they are at fault. Blame them anyway.

My fiance must have missed that part -- I may tell her to take a look at her notes again and to stop donating her time to people and organizations who can't afford good legal help.

phrogpilot73

Just heard on the news that (and I didn't catch all of it) someone is "calling for the Marine Corps to release the maintenance records for all fighter jets."

I say give it to 'em. Don't just go with the ADB. GIve 'em everything, the ADB, the Engine & Airframe logbooks, and print out every fucking MAF ever generated over the history of the aircraft. If you can find pre-NALCOMIS green ones, even better. Load it up in a dump truck and dump it square on whatever idiot is asking. Problem solved. Can't hear retards talk when under 2 tons of paper.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Just heard on the news that (and I didn't catch all of it) someone is "calling for the Marine Corps to release the maintenance records for all fighter jets."

I say give it to 'em. Don't just go with the ADB. GIve 'em everything, the ADB, the Engine & Airframe logbooks, and print out every fucking MAF ever generated over the history of the aircraft. If you can find pre-NALCOMIS green ones, even better. Load it up in a dump truck and dump it square on whatever idiot is asking. Problem solved. Can't hear retards talk when under 2 tons of paper.

That idiot is Duncan Hunter, the senior Republican on the House Armed Services Committee. And, he is asking for the all the maintenace records on all FA-18D Hornets.

I agree, give him hard copy of everything on all D's all the way back to acceptance. That should shut him up.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
That's just one of those freak accidents that just never happens. Unfortunately, it did and my condolences to the families of those who were lost. Just make sure you appreciate what you have because it can all be taken away in a heartbeat.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
That idiot is Duncan Hunter, the senior Republican on the House Armed Services Committee. And, he is asking for the all the maintenace records on all FA-18D Hornets.

I agree, give him hard copy of everything on all D's all the way back to acceptance. That should shut him up.

That's the first thing I thought of when I heard that on the news.

Clux4

Banned

Unfortunately he does not have to deal with the butt load of aircraft records. That is why they hire interns.
There are more auto accident on route I-5 than there are aircraft related accidents in the state of CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.