• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

marine corps vs. navy

gryffindor

Listen guys I'm sorry if I affended anyone. I'll be the first to admit that I'm ignorant about some things. That's why I joined this website, to become more informed. I respect all of your opinions, and I am especially thankful for you guys who replied with informative advice.

Thanks,
Gryffindor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
chance of flying the -14 slim to none, being phased out. What squeeze says is right... also on the navy side of the house, if you go in with the attitude that you only want to fly fighters, you are most likely going to be dissapointed. Most Navy and marine Corps pilots are helo pilots.

Only about 25% of Navy pilots last year were helo guys. Our old XO had just gotten done with a tour at the Bureau of Personel (BUPERS) and gave us a presentation on promotion boards and all that good stuff. One of the more enlightining slides was the breakdown of all the pilots in the Navy and what they flew. It was pretty evenly split from what I remember, with helo types making up around 25% of the fleet (that is pilots, not including NFO's). The percentage of helo pilots will probably rise but it will probably be gradual and over the long term.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
Flash said:
Only about 25% of Navy pilots last year were helo guys.

It was pretty evenly split from what I remember, with helo types making up around 25% of the fleet (that is pilots, not including NFO's). The percentage of helo pilots will probably rise but it will probably be gradual and over the long term.

Didnt look like that when I was selecting out of Primary. More like 80% helos. 25% cant be right.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Flash said:
Only about 25% of Navy pilots last year were helo guys. Our old XO had just gotten done with a tour at the Bureau of Personel (BUPERS) and gave us a presentation on promotion boards and all that good stuff. One of the more enlightining slides was the breakdown of all the pilots in the Navy and what they flew. It was pretty evenly split from what I remember, with helo types making up around 25% of the fleet (that is pilots, not including NFO's). The percentage of helo pilots will probably rise but it will probably be gradual and over the long term.

Real interesting fact, I wonder what the date was on that report though? Selection since I have been in the training command, almost a year and a half now have always been very heavliy weighted toward the helo side. Like 1 or 2 jet dudes, P-3's came in spurts and E-6s were an abnormality. Not disputing u, just not really seeing it from this end.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pap said:
Didnt look like that when I was selecting out of Primary. More like 80% helos. 25% cant be right.

Think about these numbers (active duty only):

16 operational VP/VQ squadrons-35-40 pilots per squadron
36 operational VF/VFA squadrons- 15-18 pilots each
13 operational VAQ squadrons- 6 or 7 pilots
10 operational VAW- not sure but 2 pilots per plane for 4 planes, probably 6 crews, about 12? pilots
2 VRC squadrons- I haven't a clue? (Bunk22?)

10 operational HS squadrons- ???
12? opertional HSL squadrons- ???
6? operational HC squadrons- ???
2 HM squadrons-???

I don't know the numbers of pilots in the helo squadorns but unless there are 75 pilots a squadron, they do not make up a majority in the Navy, much less 80%. What you saw over a couple of months in TRACOM is not represenative of the Navy as a whole, on several levels.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
bch said:
just something you might want to think about buddy.... you want to know the biggest difference between a marine aviator and a navy avaitor after the TBS brainwashing wears off??? A camo helmet instead of a white one.

Don't forget about the haircut. Marines aren't authorized to sport a mullet.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Bigworm true true, u guys do perfer the improvised, horse shoe on the head with a mix of mohawk...

Flash not sure on the exact numbers, but I do know that HC-11 (just one sqd) has close to 75-80 officer's in its wardroom. They are not the norm, and not sure on the size of the rest... that being said, I can only speak from the selection numbers that seem to be pretty constantly helo heavy... all those pilots have to go somewhere.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
Flash, any stats on NFOs?

A general rule of thumb for most aircraft units is that you want about 1.2 to 1.5 crews per aircraft. This is because you can utilize aircraft at a higher rate than people and you want out get the most out of them. This is to the best of my knowledge and has and will change for particular platforms. Also the numbers of aircraft are what a squadron is suppose to have. When a squadron is deployed that number is usually met but during the home cycle it hardly ever is. These are for operational squadrons only, not RAG's.

-VF/VFA has 12 aircraft (soon down to 10) with 1 pilot (1 NFO) per crew and 15-18 crews in a squadron.

-VAQ has 4 aircraft with 1 pilot and 3 NFO per crew and 6 crews per squadron.

-VAW has 4 aircraft with 2 pilot and 3 NFO per crew and 6? crews.

-VS has 6-8 aircraft with 1 pilot and 1 (or 2?) NFO per crew and 10? crews.

-VP has 9 (what now?) aircraft with 3 pilots and 2 NFO's per crew and 12 crews per squadron.

-VQ (EP-3) has 3-6 aircraft with 3 pilot and 3 NFO per crew and 8 crews.

-VQ (E-6) has 7-8 aircraft with 3 pilots and 2 NFO's per crew and ? crews.

-VRC has ?? aircraft with 2 pilots and ?? crews.

-HS has 6-8? aircraft with 2 pilots ?? crews.

-HSL/HC/HM have ?? aircraft with pilots per crew and ?? crews.

That should give you some idea of the makeup of a lot of squadrons.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
Bigworm true true, u guys do perfer the improvised, horse shoe on the head with a mix of mohawk...

Flash not sure on the exact numbers, but I do know that HC-11 (just one sqd) has close to 75-80 officer's in its wardroom. They are not the norm, and not sure on the size of the rest... that being said, I can only speak from the selection numbers that seem to be pretty constantly helo heavy... all those pilots have to go somewhere.

Needs of the Navy right now, helo pilots. Believe me, I was a little suprised at the numbers too (I expected 40%) but when you look at the number of squadrons, it makes sense.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Flash said:
-VF/VFA has 12 aircraft (soon down to 10) with 1 pilot (1 NFO) per crew and 15-18 crews in a squadron.

-VAQ has 4 aircraft with 1 pilot and 3 NFO per crew and 6 crews per squadron.

-VAW has 4 aircraft with 2 pilot and 3 NFO per crew and 6? crews.

-VS has 6-8 aircraft with 1 pilot and 1 (or 2?) NFO per crew and 10? crews.

Couple questions:

1.Why drop the number of aircraft per squadron? (VF/VFA)

2.Are your VAQ/VAW numbers for squadrons or dets?

The reason I ask is I want to get a feel for what the needs might be when I get to being an NFO.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There are two VRC squadrons with 12-14 aircraft depending with about 20 pilots per squadron. Each det deploys with two aircraft and 6 pilots. Were are probably the smallest or one of the smallest aviation communities in the navy.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
have you considered helos take up 2 pilots? maybe that was an "aviator" statistic and not just pilots? I dunno.. i've heard there transitioning to a mostly helo navy.. i.e. 60-70%

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
just something you might want to think about buddy.... you want to know the biggest difference between a marine aviator and a navy avaitor after the TBS brainwashing wears off??? A camo helmet instead of a white one.

I'm going to have to take issue with this one. Though I have a great deal of respect and many friends who are aviators in the Navy our mentalities and outlooks are very different in all type model series. If by "TBS brainwashing" you mean a commitment to the Marine on the ground or a commitment to being a Marine first and a pilot second it doesnt wear off and if it does get out immediately because we dont want you. A Marine aviator is commited to that 19 year old Lance Corporal on the ground in a way that no other service is. There are Phrog guys who will and did land under fire that would turn every one else away because they are needed. There are Marine Hornet guys practice and perfect CAS much more than their Navy brethren and are the ones we want when it counts. And a lot of Cobras came back with a lot of holes in support of Marines trying to beat the Army to Bagdad.
Marine aviators go and do tours with the infantry show me a Navy pilot even willing to think about that one. I hope in my heart once you get out of the training command all this becomes apparent to you.