• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

marine corps vs. navy

Dave Shutter

Janes Defense has a magazine that comes out every month or so which is full of info. Combat Aircraft is another good one, every month they usually have at least one big article on Naval Aviation. Go to an airshow and talk to military pilots, tell them you're interested in joining and you'll be surprised at how much they have to offer.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I have found the following site to offer a lot of info about all US military planes...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/index.html

Click on a particular plane/helo, and it will give you info on mission, different models, specs, pictures, etc...

gryffindor

I am graduating from the University of Florida next year and am applying to the Marine Corps aviation program right now. My OSO has informed me that the advantage that I have with the Marine Corps is that I am guaranteed a flight contract if I am accepted. This is very appealing to me as I have no previous flight experience. He says that being accpeted to the Navy doesn't mean you will be accepted to flight school. Any seasoned Marine Corps or Naval aviators willing to affirm or contest this?

If this is true, does anyone know the typical credentials needed to be accepted to flight school in the Navy?

Moreover, I feel that I have an unmatched desire to become a fighter pilot. I'm ready to work harder than I ever have and do whatever it takes to accomplish this goal. I'm in great physical shape. I have a strong mentality and I'm a quick learner. Honestly, what are the odds of getting to fly the F-18 in the Marine Corps or the F-14 and F-18 in the Navy?

Just want to be well informed before I make any life altering decisions! :confused:

Thanks,
Gryffindor

zulu240

SNA nov 13 OCS
when i got into OCS it was under the "Aviation Officer Candidate Program" basically if i get through OCS i have a seat at flight school

NuSnake

Both garuntee it, the Marine Corps just advertises it more. They arent gonna get you to OCS without knowing what you will do after

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gryffindor said:
Moreover, I feel that I have an unmatched desire to become a fighter pilot. I'm ready to work harder than I ever have and do whatever it takes to accomplish this goal. I'm in great physical shape. I have a strong mentality and I'm a quick learner. Honestly, what are the odds of getting to fly the F-18 in the Marine Corps or the F-14 and F-18 in the Navy?

Go join the Air Force then. Don't join the Corps to be a "fighter pilot" (of which we have none anyhow).... join the Marine Corps to be a Marine.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
chance of flying the -14 slim to none, being phased out. What squeeze says is right... also on the navy side of the house, if you go in with the attitude that you only want to fly fighters, you are most likely going to be dissapointed. Most Navy and marine Corps pilots are helo pilots.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gryffindor said:
I am graduating from the University of Florida next year and am applying to the Marine Corps aviation program right now. My OSO has informed me that the advantage that I have with the Marine Corps is that I am guaranteed a flight contract if I am accepted. This is very appealing to me as I have no previous flight experience. He says that being accpeted to the Navy doesn't mean you will be accepted to flight school. Any seasoned Marine Corps or Naval aviators willing to affirm or contest this?

If this is true, does anyone know the typical credentials needed to be accepted to flight school in the Navy?

Just want to be well informed before I make any life altering decisions! :confused:

Thanks,
Gryffindor

Just a couple of quick things:

People in the know can correct me if I am wrong, but I am 99% sure that you will not be able to select the F-14. I read on this site that they are no longer taking new students to learn to fly it.

Also, wanting a strike fighter platform is great - lots of people want that. Just be sure that you would be OK with something else before you sign a contract. Because odds are that you could easily end up with something else.

As far as the Marines guaranteeing a flight school seat - I have heard that before and really don't understand it. While I am sure that they do in fact offer this guarantee, SO DO OTHER SERVICES. I am in what is called the BDCP program that the Navy offers. I get a paycheck each month (about $2000) to stay in school and stay in shape. After I graduate from college I will attend Navy OCS. After that, I am GUARANTEED to go to flight school. I am already designated as a Student Naval Aviator, as in right now, today. This is a great program and I am thrilled to have been selected for it. The only way that the flight school spot could be taken away is if I were somehow medically disqualified or if I quit OCS.

In addition, I rarely promote the Air Force, but you can also get into their OTS with a pilot spot if you want (I THINK). I also believe you can go into some sort of program with the Army and become a helicopter pilot, guaranteed.

I am not trying to discourage you from pursuing a career with the Marine Corps. Just don't do it for the wrong reasons. If you want a guaranteed spot in a fighter jet, apply for a seat in an Air National Guard squadron that flies the F-16. You would have to be accepted and pass flight school, but you would be guaranteed a position piloting an F-16.

So, to reiterate, you CAN get into the Navy with a guaranteed spot in flight school. I am willing to bet that your Marine OSO knows this, but I obviously could not say that for certain. I looked into the AF, Navy, and Marine Corps, but I chose to go Navy. Do the research and make the decision that is right for you. There is a ton of great information all over this site, as well as some great people who will do whatever they can to help you out. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. In the meantime, look around the forums and see what kind of information you can find about BDCP and OCS. There is a forum dedicated just to that program, available here: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Again, feel free to ask all the questions you want. We're only here to help.

Good luck,
Ben

gryffindor

thanks guys for all the replies. this is some good info.

ben -
i'll do some research on the Air National Guard. Is the Air National Guard it's own entity or is it a division of the AF?

by the way, i have spoke with my local officer assessions recruiter for the AF. according to him, competition to get into AF flight school is pretty insane nowadays. to be a player with other candidates you need a pilot's license and 500 flight hrs. unless you are coming out of the AF academy or from an aviation school, such as embry riddle (where some students are flight instructors before they even graduate) you don't stand a chance.

all in all, i think the navy seems to be a bit too laid back for me unless i'm a fighter pilot or a seal (which i can only imagine is more competitive), not to offend any of you navy comrades. i grew up up in a large navy town and two of my mentors are retired naval aviators, but i think the marine corps is a better fit for me.

thanks again,
Gryffindor

VAmookie

gryffindor said:
thanks guys for all the replies. this is some good info.

ben -
i'll do some research on the Air National Guard. Is the Air National Guard it's own entity or is it a division of the AF?

by the way, i have spoke with my local officer assessions recruiter for the AF. according to him, competition to get into AF flight school is pretty insane nowadays. to be a player with other candidates you need a pilot's license and 500 flight hrs. unless you are coming out of the AF academy or from an aviation school, such as embry riddle (where some students are flight instructors before they even graduate) you don't stand a chance.

all in all, i think the navy seems to be a bit too laid back for me unless i'm a fighter pilot or a seal (which i can only imagine is more competitive), not to offend any of you navy comrades. i grew up up in a large navy town and two of my mentors are retired naval aviators, but i think the marine corps is a better fit for me.

thanks again,
Gryffindor

HAHAHAHA... SEAL? Who is this guy, is he for real?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
gryffindor said:

wha??? :angel_125 :icon_hamm

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
just something you might want to think about buddy.... you want to know the biggest difference between a marine aviator and a navy avaitor after the TBS brainwashing wears off??? A camo helmet instead of a white one.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gryffindor~
Good luck with whichever route you choose. I was going for an aviation contract with both the Marines and the Navy. The one thing I really liked about the Marines route is that I got my flight physical during the application process rather than the first few days of OCS, like in the Navy. The Marines had me go to Corpus to do my flight physical so that I'd know if I was medically qualified, which saved me from a lot of suspense. Of course, this is not a reason to gear your preference to either branch... it's just an interesting sidenote I thought I'd mention. :)