• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

marine corps vs. navy

jonahw

I am an upcoming freshman at NC State university and have recieved a four year NROTC scholarship. I have been given the option of joining the Navy or Marine Corps. My question is would I have a better chance of flying jets in the Navy or in the Marine Corps. Thanks alot.

jonahw

I am an upcoming freshman at NC State university and have recieved a four year NROTC scholarship. I have been given the option of joining the Navy or Marine Corps. My question is would I have a better chance of flying jets in the Navy or in the Marine Corps. Thanks alot.

jonahw

Thanks for the replies. I am fully aware that the main reason I am joining this program is to serve my country as a Naval Officer. But I also feel I must find a job that is exciting and challenging, which to me, means looking no farther than the field of aviation. One must set goals to attain if they are to be successfull. After all perseverance is what drives us from day to day. Each and every Officer must fullfill a certain task, if they did not they would be of no use to the military. The Navy doesn't have Officers just so they can say they have a chain of command. The Navy has Officers to perform the duties for which they have been trained.

I know I have a long way to go, but if it were easy the military would be nothing but aviators, now wouldn't it?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I suggest you stop now while you're ahead, do a little reflecting, and then ask yourself Matt's question over and over and over again. Just to reiterate, he said to ask yourself which service would you enjoy more if you don't get to fly jets. I further challenge you to take that one additional step and ask yourself which service would you rather serve in (if any) if you don't get to fly at all, or heaven forbid, you end up not even liking aviation (military or otherwise). These are very real possibilities and you must prepare for them.

As for other jobs in the military that are exciting and challenging, there are numerous. Aviation is not the only one. There are things out there that non-aviation navy and marine corps officers do that you could not possibly fathom at this stage of your military education. Do not limit yourself now by being closed minded about what the Marine Corps and Navy both have to offer. Each certainly have their own strengths and weaknesses. Take some time to learn about each branch. Study their histories, the roles they play, types of missions they carry out, and types of jobs they offer. You have the time now to ponder these questions. You can accept your scholarship now as a midshipman and later switch over to Marine Corps option (if that's what you end up choosing).

A couple other things. Perseverence is not something that drives us. We are not driven for the sake of perseverence. The act of being driven and continuously pursuing our goals with the possibility of failure nipping at our heals is 'perseverence.' Also, in response to what you said:

quote:The Navy doesn't have Officers just so they can say they have a chain of command. The Navy has Officers to perform the duties for which they have been trained.

While it is true that military officers (and enlisted personnel for that matter) peform the duties which they have been trained, that is not why the military has them. Furthermore, I can assure you that we perform many more functions and duties for which we have not been trained.

--Steve

Rainman

pilot
jonahw-- there is no good answer to which is better for jets. Both have 'em. Both are very competitive.

There are several posts on this site that discuss differences between Marine and Navy 'naval aviation'.

I agree with Steve in that you should analyze each service and their role and what you like about the non-aviation side. Nobody wants to admit that they could 'fail' at anything or that you made a career mistake (if aviation isn't right for you); but in the military all bets are really off. I remember an API instructor telling us that when he went through primary the bottom 40% of all API, Primary, Intermediate, and Advanced students got axed (the first major drawdown after the Reagan years). That, of course, is an extreme example but-hey--keep it in mind. Read some books, talk with some Marines and Sailors, read previous posts. Only you can figure out what you'd be happy with.

Dave Shutter

I understand how you feel about which service you want. I had a lot of trouble getting my SNA slot and several times I thought about other services as a means to get into a plane, but my ultimate goal was to be a Navy Officer. I was in the Army and have close friends and family in pretty much every other service and for me, this time, it was all Navy.

Yes, you can be "designated" as an SNA before you sign but let me tell you. As far as flight training goes I'm on about step 2 out of 20 and I've lost count of people I know personally who've parted ways with the program, wether by their own accord or for other reasons. A lot can happen to seperate from your designator, some causes may be beyond your control, which is why the other gentleman advised you to think about things other than aviation. I am, you never know.

Carrier aviation looks awesome on the Discovery channel, and it's something I dearly hope I hope I have the oppurtunity to do, but it's a small part of a bigger job. The 24/7 military lifestyle is the reality you face and it's something you have to accept for about 10 years min. as an aviator. Congratulations on you scholarship and best of luck.

Valion310

Something else to think about, no matter which service you choose, in all respects they will have many of the same type jobs. When you do your "dream sheet" on jobs you generally will list 3 to 5 different ones. There are A LOT of challenging jobs, for example, my first two listed on my OCS packet is Pilot with NFO being second, my third choice is Intel which is a whole universe in itself. Both Navy and Marines have VERY VERY extensive Intelligence communities which can take you places you've ever even dreamed of ... (just a thought.) Gook luck and congratz on your scholorship.

Valion310 out-

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I suggest that you not listen to Dave, he just doesn't want to cut his hair that's why the transition from the Army to the Navy was so easy. In regards to this forum question, I think it has been answered perfectly. Professional and succint. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

mcbride_t_m

When I entered flight school, all I wanted was to fly jets. I was blown away, like most young guys, by Top Gun. Mav got the women, the jet, the inverted dive... Cool stuff. And then I started to research all the other platforms my service had to offer. When I really dug deep, I realized that I would be happy flying any frame. Each one has its own distinct charms. I switched jets to my second choice and was lucky enough to pick up my first, KC-130s. My point (I was eventually getting to it)... Don't be "enchanted" by jets, or by any airframe for that matter. Really look into all aspects of what each has to offer- deployment, varying missions, flight time, crew or no crew, oppertunities outside the field, etc... There is a great deal of experience and knowledge in these forums. Pick some brains before laying down at the Mav altar. Cheers.

cooley4277

Look, no matter what service you join, Navy or Marines, you WILL enjoy flying whatever you get, whether it's jets, P-3's, C130's, or helo's. Decide on whether you want to be a navy officer or a marine corps officer first, then decide. Whatever you decide, the pilot side of life will probably be the same no matter what you select. As far as selecting jets, it's about the same possibility, whether you're navy or marine. So, the big question is, do you want to be a marine corps officer or a naval officer?

Mike26

quote:
Look, no matter what service you join, Navy or Marines, you WILL enjoy flying whatever you get, whether it's jets, P-3's, C130's, or helo's. Decide on whether you want to be a navy officer or a marine corps officer first, then decide. Whatever you decide, the pilot side of life will probably be the same no matter what you select. As far as selecting jets, it's about the same possibility, whether you're navy or marine. So, the big question is, do you want to be a marine corps officer or a naval officer?

Mike26

I don't necessarily think that is true, for example I am in the Air Force and currently have an application in with the Navy for a SNA slot. If I can't fly in the Navy I would rather be an officer in the Air Force. I still want to serve my country but my goal at this time is to fly, it does not matter who I fly with, who ever will take me; if not I will attempt to stay in the Air Force as an officer. There is a big difference in life styles between the services but I am willing to accept the differences for an opportunity to fly as a Military pilot. That's just something to think about.

Paige

Deviating slightly from the topic.... What is the best way to start researching what aircraft the Navy has to offer? I'm on my way to flight school but I'm the first in my family to go military. I picked up a little lingo from college but I get confused with the names and numbers when I start talking to people who know what they are talking about. Is there a good place to start?

leonsparx

Paige:

Yes. The Navy's web site has a 'fact file' page:

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ffiletop.html

There you will find a list of aircraft flown by the Navy, their roles etc.