• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

marine corps vs. navy

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was finally able to find the article in the Navy Times from 3 1/2 years ago. I know that they are a bit old but imagine they have not changed that drastically. The biggest variable would be S-3's going away. They only had numbers for the total number of aviation rated officers in each community so I did the basic math and used standard crew numbers (Prowler had around 750 total, 25% being pilots = 188 pilots). I know that it is a bit of a rough number but I found that helo pilots accounted for about 42% of all pilots in the Navy and about 29% of all NA's and NFO's. So, it is somewhere in between the 25% I thought (it was a total aviation officer number that I saw) and the 60-80% that some people were saying.

With the S-3's going away, P-3's contracting and helos expanding, I can see how the number will rise in the next few years. I would love to see the projected numbers for the next 5 years. I am still a little wary of 60% but I can see how it can happen. An interesting side note related to this, does anyone realize how few helo Admirals there are in the Navy? Not too many, and definitely not that many when compared to their percentage of total pilots. It will be interesting to see if and when that changes.

I can post the numbers I used if people want.

reapergm

vettemuscle - College Park, eh? I am a Terp alumni. Hows Cornerstone, Bentleys and the Fe? Do you go to UMD? Or are you CP local?

reapergm

Awesome to see a fellow Terp!!! I miss CP bad!!! Was a good time. I was there when they won the bball championship. It was crazy. Were you there? I graduated 2002, Psychology BA.
- But as much as I would love to be a in CP, I would rather be in Quantico starting OCS. Good luck to you !

reapergm

LOL... maybe not. The "riots" were funny. Kids burned their sheets to make a bon fire in Fraternity Row... and then cops came. Then for the championships, cops came and shot paintball pepper balls into the crowd to get people to disperse. Kids reacted by throwing and breaking things. Go figure... Of couse I would never participate in such reckless behavior.. ;) :icon_smil .. but MAN WAS IT FUN TO BE THERE!!!!! No thrill in the world like being at a sporting event like college basketball championships. Whether you were a jock, a stoner, a book nerd... that night... you were outside partying, going nuts!!!Thousands and thousands of kids. Its a sight I will never see again! Sad... Go Terps :D

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
How great was that though... everyone in the dorms watching, and as soon as we won... it was the mass exodus to Frat-Row... I was in denton... they tried to keep us there by offering us free pizza! HAHAHAHA we wanted the sweet smell of tear-gas.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can we please get back to the original topic? You guys can PM about your college memories...

/end being an ass