• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine aviation options/chances

SaucyGoon1776

So I just got an air contract as a freshman with the PLC, going to OCS this summer. I want to be a fighter pilot obviously or a least attack helicopter (viper/supercobra). Just wondering what my chances really are for getting something like that, but also open to other opportunities in aviation or infantry. I’ve heard of different things like CAS, WTI, and a some other stuff and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction to some more options or just show me kind of how the whole aviation world works. By the way my ASTB scores were 7,7,6 54.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
This is a question that gets asked a lot and there really isn't an answer. You could be the best student pilot the training command has ever seen, and there just aren't any jet/cobra slots the week you select. All you can do is give your absolute best and hope you get what you want, but at the end of the day its out of your hands. Timing will matter more during your career than anything, and you don't have control over that timing. Better to be lucky than good.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No not at all just a little confused. Seems strange to just throw random numbers out. Was actually expecting something not nearly as precise
What, exactly, were you expecting then? How am I to precisely assess your chances?

SaucyGoon1776

This is a question that gets asked a lot and there really isn't an answer. You could be the best student pilot the training command has ever seen, and there just aren't any jet/cobra slots the week you select. All you can do is give your absolute best and hope you get what you want, but at the end of the day its out of your hands. Timing will matter more during your career than anything, and you don't have control over that timing. Better to be lucky than good.
Honestly man that’s kind of a relieving thought. Is there any way to change your platform later on though if you get selected for something you don’t want, or are you stuck with that aircraft until your contract is up?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Honestly man that’s kind of a relieving thought. Is there any way to change your platform later on though if you get selected for something you don’t want, or are you stuck with that aircraft until your contract is up?
Stuck.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
You'll spend so long in flight school just trying to get the grades, that 90% of your time and thoughts will be dedicated to passing the next event or whatever is on the flight schedule, if you even make it out of API. You'll learn about all the communities, and your goals and life desires may change after talking to actual fleet aviators. I would advise you that at this stage, don't worry about what you'll fly because its years down the road. If you want to fly in any of the birds the corps has, its a good start. You shouldn't go through thinking, I only want jets or I'll drop. You get what is issued to you, sometimes irrespective of your aptitude. "Quality spread, crushing dreams."

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
No not at all just a little confused. Seems strange to just throw random numbers out. Was actually expecting something not nearly as precise
42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

You're not searching and you're barely reading.

SaucyGoon1776

You'll spend so long in flight school just trying to get the grades, that 90% of your time and thoughts will be dedicated to passing the next event or whatever is on the flight schedule, if you even make it out of API. You'll learn about all the communities, and your goals and life desires may change after talking to actual fleet aviators. I would advise you that at this stage, don't worry about what you'll fly because its years down the road. If you want to fly in any of the birds the corps has, its a good start. You shouldn't go through thinking, I only want jets or I'll drop. You get what is issued to you, sometimes irrespective of your aptitude. "Quality spread, crushing dreams."
Heard man. I don’t know though. I just really want to be involved with what’s going on on the ground so flying transport would really be a disappointment for me. What happens if I don’t make it through API?