• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine aviation options/chances

SaucyGoon1776

Your selection will be dictated by:

1. The needs of the Marine Corps the week you finish primary flight training.
  2. How good at “being a Marine” type of stuff the COL feels you are.
  3. Your grades and instructor feedback in primary flight training.
  4. What you want.
You’ve got about a 10-20% chance at jets, 10-20% chance at Skids, 10% chance of getting attrited due to airsickness, 10% of becoming a ground guy because you suck at flying, a 30% chance of an Osprey draft, a 1-5% chance of flying Herks, the rest of a % chance of you flying Shitters, a 0% chance if you don’t make it through OCS, TBS and API first and a 100% chance of the Marine Corps not ever caring about what you desire.
what exactly are herks, skids, and sh*tters?

SaucyGoon1776

Great point. As we all know, showing up as an overconfident Lieutenant is a fantastic way to ingratiate yourself in a HMLA Ready Room!

P.S. The MCX on the I-5 gate can help out with the AstroGlide
do you mind explaining this a little more? HMLA is like flying vipers and super cobras right? i dont see anything wrong with that.

1000 possible pitfalls... and your timing (which you don’t control) works out... then you have a non-zero chance of selecting a platform which may possibly lead to you being a fighter pilot.

What do you mean by the timing - is this the graduation timing at Primary, or timing within the Fiscal Year (USN Training funding deadlines). I heard it is a combination of both.

Python

pilot
Contributor
What do you mean by the timing - is this the graduation timing at Primary, or timing within the Fiscal Year (USN Training funding deadlines). I heard it is a combination of both.

timing: if the time you are up for selection, there happens to be what you want. It varies week to week. You don’t know what is available each week. So your timing could be favorable or unfavorable, and you’d never know if it was your timing that was the cause of you getting what you wanted or not.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Did the T-45 fleet get red striped and therefore there aren't any jet slots when you select? Timing.

Is there an osprey draft the week that you select? Timing.

Did manpower screw up and now there are too many Marine SNAs in the pipeline, so the NSS just went up and now you're attriting with the same score that 2 months ago guys were getting winged with? Timing.

Did manpower screw up and now there are too many Marine SNAs in the pipeline, so the NSS just went up and now you're attriting with the same score that 2 months ago guys were getting winged with? Timing.

Good point - depressing but true. Hopefully not that often - hopefully never.

alwyn2nd

So you want to be a fighter pilot and nothing else I suppose. There's only 1 way of getting a fighter/attack slot guaranteed if you can pass all the trip wires along the way. You must apply directly to an USAF ANG or USAFR fighter/attack squadron. You can select the type of aircraft and location you wish. But then again, the USAF only has 5 fighters to pick from, F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35, A-10 and you won't have the wonderful opportunity in attending TBS. There could be an F-22 in Hawaii for you. If you don't want to wear the Blue, good luck on your journey in getting fighters, cargo, MV-22 or helicopters. Your desires will come in dead last.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you want to be a fighter pilot and nothing else I suppose. There's only 1 way of getting a fighter/attack slot guaranteed if you can pass all the trip wires along the way. You must apply directly to an USAF ANG or USAFR fighter/attack squadron. You can select the type of aircraft and location you wish. But then again, the USAF only has 5 fighters to pick from, F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35, A-10 and you won't have the wonderful opportunity in attending TBS. There could be an F-22 in Hawaii for you. If you don't want to wear the Blue, good luck on your journey in getting fighters, cargo, MV-22 or helicopters. Your desires will come in dead last.
The A-10 is not a fighter.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I actually had a great time at TBS. Having said that, ANG is the way to go. Especially if you are set on a specific platform.