• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine aviation options/chances

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are so right in the A-10 not being a fighter. How stupid of me. Of course the A-10s kill the enemy a lot closer in. More than likely have a higher body count too. 30mm works wonders.
That’s why it’s an attack platform. Kinda tough to man a DCA lane without a radar.

SaucyGoon1776

Did the T-45 fleet get red striped and therefore there aren't any jet slots when you select? Timing.

Is there an osprey draft the week that you select? Timing.

Did manpower screw up and now there are too many Marine SNAs in the pipeline, so the NSS just went up and now you're attriting with the same score that 2 months ago guys were getting winged with? Timing.
ive already signed an air contract for PLC, so should I still be worried about not getting SNA? and what is NSS?

SaucyGoon1776

So you want to be a fighter pilot and nothing else I suppose. There's only 1 way of getting a fighter/attack slot guaranteed if you can pass all the trip wires along the way. You must apply directly to an USAF ANG or USAFR fighter/attack squadron. You can select the type of aircraft and location you wish. But then again, the USAF only has 5 fighters to pick from, F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35, A-10 and you won't have the wonderful opportunity in attending TBS. There could be an F-22 in Hawaii for you. If you don't want to wear the Blue, good luck on your journey in getting fighters, cargo, MV-22 or helicopters. Your desires will come in dead last.
but on the flip side the air force cant garuntee that I get any flight training at all even after completing OCS or whatever they call it.

BarryD

Contributor
That’s why it’s an attack platform. Kinda tough to man a DCA lane without a radar.
The fact the Air Force calls their A-10 squadrons "Fighter Squadrons" has always been a source of confusion for me.

alwyn2nd

SauceyGoon1776

but on the flip side the air force cant garuntee that I get any flight training at all even after completing OCS or whatever they call it.

ALL military services can guarantee a pilot slot BEFORE you are obligated in serving, if slots are available. The USMC is the only service that will allow pilot contracts as a freshman, sophomore or junior in college through the PLC program. As of today, the USMC no longer trains NFOs with the recent retirement of the EA-6B airframe.

The USAF ANG and USAFR are the only ones that can guarantee you a fighter/ATTACK aircraft or any aircraft of your choosing providing you meet all of their requirements. Remember, USAF ANG and USAFR are initially part time positions, once you complete training in your aircraft.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True but you sure can ruin somebodies day with it!
But that somebody is unlikely to be a fighter type aircraft, which is just one of many reasons the A-10 is not a fighter. Let's be precise - the question wasn't if the A-10 is good at killing bad guys on the ground, or whether the A-10 would be an awesome airplane to fly. The question was, is it a fighter... and it is clearly not. Something Sen. Martha McSally probably needs to have explained to her as well.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are USMC NFOs in the training pipeline now who will be in the back of F18s.
Not for long, and unfortunately for them, the USMC has zero qualms with cornholing their people when they sundown a platform. They did it with the A-6, H-46, EA-6B, and they'll do it again when the F/A-18D goes away.