• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Check out this thread at MarineOCS.com (specifically the post from ICTHRUCHAOS, he's a doc)... PLC PRK procedure is a bit different from OCC

http://marineocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10832

Just a point of order on ICTHRUCHAOS on Marineocs.com.

"I see thru chaos" is not a doc but a very experienced HRA (Human Resources Assistant) at an OSO's office.

ICTHRUCHAOS is a fantastic resourse about anything to do with OSO "administrative issues or challenges". I wouldn't limit what ICTHRUCHAOS can help with to just medical issues.

Via PMs he/she was kind enough to advise and coach someone I know well when they were having trouble fixing a botched SNFO to SNA MOS change. The change was supposed to be done before commissioning but he found out it wasn't when he reported to TBS. All better now

Good stuff.

TSUflyboy

Hello--

So, I made sure to read the entire thread before I posted this, my first post, which has led me to these conclusions:

A) I'll skip the "who I am, what I'm fixin to do" BS...if you really wanna know what it is I'm looking to do, read my profile.
B) See A.

Sorry I don't have any cool stories, but at least I don't post youtube videos of myself doing stunts in a prop and think it makes me cool, and I'm not Canadian.

I've looked around, maybe I just didn't search right, but I couldn't find the answer to this question so I thought I'd ask here:

How does plane selection work?

I had considered going AF (and was AFROTC for a while), and I know (thanks to my cousin who flies the Viper) that in the AF, plane selection depends on your rank in your flight class....same MO for Navy/MC flight school?

Also, if you have a PPL do you still have to do the initial flight stuff before you go to primary? Meaning the flight stuff, not the ground schooling.

Thanks in advance.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Hello--

So, I made sure to read the entire thread before I posted this, my first post, which has led me to these conclusions:

A) I'll skip the "who I am, what I'm fixin to do" BS...if you really wanna know what it is I'm looking to do, read my profile.
B) See A.

Sorry I don't have any cool stories, but at least I don't post youtube videos of myself doing stunts in a prop and think it makes me cool, and I'm not Canadian.

I've looked around, maybe I just didn't search right, but I couldn't find the answer to this question so I thought I'd ask here:

How does plane selection work?

I had considered going AF (and was AFROTC for a while), and I know (thanks to my cousin who flies the Viper) that in the AF, plane selection depends on your rank in your flight class....same MO for Navy/MC flight school?

Also, if you have a PPL do you still have to do the initial flight stuff before you go to primary? Meaning the flight stuff, not the ground schooling.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a PPL, you bypass IFS.

Selection is done twice, once out of primary and then again after winging. First you chose Pipeline, ie, jets or helos. Then you choose airframe ie, if you had choosen helos, you then choose form your options there, like 53s, Cobras etc.

Your choice is based on three things, Needs of the Corps, What your grades are and what you want.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome, thanks!

Just out of curiousity, any ideas/speculation about the JSF and when it'll be on line?

The latest I saw was IOC for the Marines is supposed to be 2012, the USAF in 2013 and the Navy in 2015. All dates are subject to change due to a variety of reasons.

Njc242

If a "pilot" slot is what you want...I would think the odds of getting a pilot slot are somewhat better in the USAF...considering, that's your main role and all.

Your chances of getting a pilot slot would likely be much higher in the Corps.

ah, I forgot how much I have missed this place :D

Even though I am not new to these forums I sometimes still get confused because of posts like the above. Even though I believe PhrogDriver more due to the fact that he IS a USMC Pilot it still gets to me..

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
ah, I forgot how much I have missed this place :D

Even though I am not new to these forums I sometimes still get confused because of posts like the above. Even though I believe PhrogDriver more due to the fact that he IS a USMC Pilot it still gets to me..

Realize that pepole with wings know what they are talking about like you said, they ARE naval aviators. Tons of people make asumptons in their posts and are wrong hence people correcting them.

spinspilot

I would of rather seen the video of stunts than read that question. Search function is located at the upper panel of the site. BTW, if you do have such video, post it.

smulet

Age Waiver

I had posted on this thread a while back about getting an age waiver. I'm a 29-year-old female looking for a flight contract. I wanted to update those who may want to know that I have been approved. I do caution you that this is probably a result of the "outliers" effect. I know the Marine Corps is looking for women, and my accomplishments during my 20's probably helped a lot. I can't say they would approve all age waivers, but there is a possibility! Good luck for those who are trying.

crucible724ind

Reserve Unit??

(Just noticed the thread dates but maybe my post will still give you some insight on what's on my reservist son's mind LOL)

Here is real world experience. I have two sons. Both wanted to be Officers of Marines. Both are Marines now but they have two very different stories to tell.

The youngest jumped first using the logic above. Join the reserves, graduate boot camp, go to college, apply for PLC and after acceptance do Jr's and Sr's. No reserve drilling. Graduate college and commission.

Looks good on paper and might have worked that way in a perfect world. Nobody ever dreamed that he would get mono his first semester and end up with less than a 2.0 GPA. No PLC and now he is a reserve Marine. OK no problem. So the plan is to stay in school, get the GPA up and he can still apply for PLC in a few semesters.

Not so fast. In his second semester his reserve unit tells him to prepare for an IA tour in Iraq. (Mortuary Affairs) This IA tour will begin before his second semester is over so he drops out of college. His reserve unit then decides they don't need him to IA after all. Now he is out of school with no job etc. (and I'm thanking God he didn't have to go to TQ and prepare the Angels for their journey)

He's a sharp kid, MOS 0656, Data Marine. His reserve unit XO offers him a job with XOs companie's IT dept making great money. Now he loves his job, they love him and he's a drilling reservist. A year later he gets his IA orders.

This network switch and router guy, who joined the Marines to be an officer, goes to Fallujah as a .50 cal gunner on an armored up Humvee. (He's loving this shit because he is a data geek behind a machine gun LOL.) He survives over 100 security missions outside the wire and comes home without a scratch. His platoon loses 4 KIA.

Now he is home, a proud Cpl of Marines. He enjoyed his IA tour. It looks like his old company wants him back enough to offer him a promotion and a lot more money. He'll take that but Afghanistan is on the horizon. It's been over 4 years and he hasn't applied for PLC yet.

My oldest son went to college, applied for PLC, went to OCS, finished college, got his eyes cut, waver approved for SNA and commissioned. He's now at TBS with Mike Co waiting for a slot with Charlie so he can begin living the dream in P'cola.

Real world not theory.

Sir,
May I ask which one your Cpl Son is being a reservist in ??

Z-Man

full deflection
This is for Rocketman,

How did your second son go about getting his vision corrected?

Was it done by the military or a civilian doctor?

Did he go through OCS/PLC with uncorrected vision and manage to get a contract? Or was the surgery done before PLC?

I'm sorry for the questions, but I'm in the same situation. My eyes are the only things keeping me from being fully confident about receiving an air contract.

Thank you.

MackOhare

I'm well aware of the 6 month wait after PRK for SNA applicants before they take their physical, but does anyone know if there is the same wait for ground contact, particularly for infantry MOS??

capitoljake13

I'm well aware of the 6 month wait after PRK for SNA applicants before they take their physical, but does anyone know if there is the same wait for ground contact, particularly for infantry MOS??

Are you also on MarineOCS.com forums? I just noticed a thread on that exact topic go by a couple days ago.

http://marineocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73&start=45

Ground contracts don't follow the same guidelines as NAMI (Naval AEROmed...) Also, I HAVE even talked to some Ground's who have had LASIK if their particular MOS doesn't require PRK (Shorter recovery time) ... (searching memory for thread...)

http://marineocs.com/portal/modules...&postorder=asc&highlight=eye+surgery&start=15

Regardless, you'll find a LOT more ground info over on that forum. Caution though if you're not a member already.. Before you make a post follow site rules and post an intro or they'll castrate you. If you ARE a user .. well then. RightOn.

Status
Not open for further replies.