• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...My oldest son went to college, applied for PLC, went to OCS, finished college, got his eyes cut, waver approved for SNA and commissioned. He's now at TBS with Mike Co waiting for a slot with Charlie so he can begin living the dream in P'cola....

you forgot the part about him throwing back the beers with Mike Company's finest :D

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
you forgot the part about him throwing back the beers with Mike Company's finest :D

Surely not. Golden boy told his momma he didn't drink.

After re-reading my post I can see that I didn't leave out much of anything else. When I'm bored I run my mouth too much :icon_smil

Aren't you glad you guys aren't out freezing with Bravo? Not that what you want makes a damn LOL.

great_daines

So if you're in PLC after you enlist in the reserves, and you get called up and have to miss college, do you lose your flight contract? is what they said about PLC superceding a reservist contract not true?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
So if you're in PLC after you enlist in the reserves, and you get called up and have to miss college, do you lose your flight contract? is what they said about PLC superceding a reservist contract not true?

He was told by the enlisted recruiter that a PLC contract did supercede the reservest contract. He never got far enough to find out for sure though. The IA issue might complicate things as well. My assumption is that if PLC does supercede reserves then IA wouldn't be a problem but who knows.

I would strongly advise talking to an OSO about this as well if you are thinking about going that route.

Then I would suggest that simple is always better than complex.

KISS would be the word IMHO.

Slammer2

Contributor
Is there a difference between ensliting in the reserves and then one day down the road deciding to do PLC compared to doing the PLC-reserves thing right out of highschool (as in signing up for PLC before you go to recruit training)? I remember one guy who graduated HS and then talked to the OSO before enlisting. He did the plc/reserves thing right from the start. I am just wondering if he contracted with the OSO before he even went to MCRD. As in IF you graduate recruit training, IF you graduate college, IF you graduate PLC...you have a contract to commission - all in one contract. Or was that more of a "talk to me when you graduate Parris Island and then we'll sign you up for PLC"?

If there is a difference, can the PLC-reserves program (if there is one) keep you from deploying, where the enlist first, then later on try to join PLC potentially make you deploy? The now-Lt who I was refering to before signed some form with the OSO which kept him from deploying.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Is there a difference between ensliting in the reserves and then one day down the road deciding to do PLC compared to doing the PLC-reserves thing right out of highschool (as in signing up for PLC before you go to recruit training)? I remember one guy who graduated HS and then talked to the OSO before enlisting. He did the plc/reserves thing right from the start. I am just wondering if he contracted with the OSO before he even went to MCRD. As in IF you graduate recruit training, IF you graduate college, IF you graduate PLC...you have a contract to commission - all in one contract. Or was that more of a "talk to me when you graduate Parris Island and then we'll sign you up for PLC"?

If there is a difference, can the PLC-reserves program (if there is one) keep you from deploying, where the enlist first, then later on try to join PLC potentially make you deploy? The now-Lt who I was refering to before signed some form with the OSO which kept him from deploying.

Don't know for certain. BG and I never talked to an OSO just the enlisted guy. It was more of "OK you are accepted to college so enlist and get thru boot camp as a reservist. Then get thru a semester of college to meet the PLC requirements and apply PLC. Because you have gone thru bootcamp you will be more likely to get accepted at PLC and if you do you won't have to drill".

I'm all but certain there was never any actual or established paper pipeline that led to PLC.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Yes, I DID talk to the OSO before going to Parris Island. He suggested I go to boot camp to help with selection and PFT scores. It did. The PLC Contract DID supercede the reserve contract...until they voided the "Drop to IRR" option. Now the only way the PLC Contract can pull rank on the reserve contract is if the "Candidate has completed OCS training and is awaiting a commissioning upon posting of degree." That means that the contract has no weight to it until after Seniors. You can get FAP and CTAP after Juniors, but if your reserve unit mobilizes before you ship to seniors...U Signed the Mvthaf*ckin Contract. Do your tour and HOPEFULLY, you'll make it home safe and finish school. Something that at least 7 of my personal friends can claim in various orders.

great_daines

He was told by the enlisted recruiter that a PLC contract did supercede the reservest contract. He never got far enough to find out for sure though. The IA issue might complicate things as well. My assumption is that if PLC does supercede reserves then IA wouldn't be a problem but who knows.

I would strongly advise talking to an OSO about this as well if you are thinking about going that route.

Then I would suggest that simple is always better than complex.

KISS would be the word IMHO.

Alright thanks I'll talk to an OSO about that. That would suck to get a flight contract and lose it because of deployment!

great_daines

I just talked to an OSO from salt lake city that said your flight contract would only be postponed. I'm glad to hear the reserve itself doesnt screw up your chances of being an officer aviator as much as i thought it did.

8WOOD

Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but how long does it usually take to get a decision back from the board? I just signed my air contract for PLC 199 ( may 30 2008) with the OSO at Salt Lake City Utah. OOO-RAH.

Anyone else trying for air 199 here?

Slammer2

Contributor
perhaps this is the wrong thread, but how long does it usually take to get a decision back from the board? I just signed my air contract for plc 199 ( may 30 2008) with the oso at salt lake city utah. Ooo-rah.

wtf?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but how long does it usually take to get a decision back from the board? I just signed my air contract for PLC 199 ( may 30 2008) with the OSO at Salt Lake City Utah. OOO-RAH.

Unless your OSO happens to be Doc Brown and has his Delorean, your chances of getting into 199 are absolutely ZERO. 199 was last fall.

8WOOD

Unless your OSO happens to be Doc Brown and has his Delorean, your chances of getting into 199 are absolutely ZERO. 199 was last fall.

LOL! Now that's wit.

Wow, I totally got my numbers wrong! It is the PLC starting June 2009. Yup I've been having some real bad luck posting accurately as of lately.:D

Slammer2

Contributor
The OCC class going this summer would be 201. I found out in a few weeks that I was selected. Its different for everyone. SOme poeple waited months. Others heard back in a few days. It depends on when the board meets and how soon before that board your package gets turned in.

Status
Not open for further replies.