• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
This is for Rocketman,

How did your second son go about getting his vision corrected?.

PRK

Was it done by the military or a civilian doctor?.

Civilian doc

Did he go through OCS/PLC with uncorrected vision and manage to get a contract? Or was the surgery done before PLC?.

He went to OCC with a PLC SNFO contract with the intent of doing the PRK after being OCC complete and graduating from college, applying for SNA contract change, passing P'cola NAMI flight physical, signing the SNA contract then commissioning and attending TBS. That's exactly how it happened.[/quote]

I'm sorry for the questions, but I'm in the same situation. My eyes are the only things keeping me from being fully confident about receiving an air contract..

No problem ask away and DO NOT assume all of this will be done automagicly. OSO's are looking for take charge applicants who can make things happen. First have a strong package. If you do your OSO won't mind you being proactive and pushing the process. You are responsible for your career not your OSO. There will be delays and word changes even when the process works as is should. If you don't educate yourself and take ownership of the application process expect more delays yada yada.....

MackOhare

Are you also on MarineOCS.com forums? I just noticed a thread on that exact topic go by a couple days ago.

http://marineocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73&start=45

Ground contracts don't follow the same guidelines as NAMI (Naval AEROmed...) Also, I HAVE even talked to some Ground's who have had LASIK if their particular MOS doesn't require PRK (Shorter recovery time) ... (searching memory for thread...)

http://marineocs.com/portal/modules...&postorder=asc&highlight=eye+surgery&start=15

Regardless, you'll find a LOT more ground info over on that forum. Caution though if you're not a member already.. Before you make a post follow site rules and post an intro or they'll castrate you. If you ARE a user .. well then. RightOn.

Thanks Jake for the site info/advice. No actually that's not me -- haven't come across that site before and I've only recently started to think more seriously about going Marine and/or ground. Just thought I'd ask on here first. In high school I told myself I'd either fly or nothing. Now I'm a bit more mature and have decided I want to serve one way or another -- and now I'm actually thinking about how I can be most useful.

Truth be told, I never really considered myself gung-ho enough to be Marine material before and am fully aware that every Marine is a rifleman/infantryman first, and whatever their specialty is, comes second. I'm getting closer though day-by-day to trying to live up to that challenge, and will definitely scope out the other forum. Either way I'm getting the PRK, but am just curious about the timeline for ground. Thanks

s'good

Hey everyone

I was wondering if anyone happened to know how the process would work for cross commissioning from USAF to USMC. I am considering flying for the USMC and have been reading up on this ASTB. My problem is that I am a freshman at the Air Force Academy and don't know the process. I only know that we had 15 cadets graduate and became Marines last year, otherwise I don't know enough to ask the right questions.

ANY feedback will be thoroughly appreciated.

thanks

Kan Do!

Hello AW,

I am currently applying for an OCC air contract. I was wondering if anyone remotely in the know has an idea about how many air contracts might be available come OCC 205? I guess nobody knows anything exact, but I am hoping the number of slots will be close to what was available for OCC 202. I searched for this information first, but didn't find anything comparing 205 and 202 specifically.

rhorton1

OCC-205 Air Contracts

From what my OSO told me, they will likely not be upping the number of flight contracts as compared to OCC-202, as the USMC is full up on pilots. I wasn't told what the overall number of air contracts would be (don't think even the Marine Corps knows that just yet), but heard that my OSO (San Diego) would likely be sending 3 air contracts to OCS. Also, I was told that in order to be competitive, you need a stellar PFT (285 range) because there are going to be so many OCC-Air applicants. That being said..... I'm off to the track to work on my run time! Good Luck!

Kan Do!

Good to hear there might be at least be a few OCC-Air contracts for your district. I'm hoping there will be a few slots available in my district too.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey everyone

I was wondering if anyone happened to know how the process would work for cross commissioning from USAF to USMC. I am considering flying for the USMC and have been reading up on this ASTB. My problem is that I am a freshman at the Air Force Academy and don't know the process. I only know that we had 15 cadets graduate and became Marines last year, otherwise I don't know enough to ask the right questions.

ANY feedback will be thoroughly appreciated.

thanks

Being that it's not rare, I would probably ask your company officer, or whatever they call it at USAFA. I'd probably wait until your sophomore year, just because you're so new you probably don't have much of a handle on anything yet. After all, if things were really solid in your mind, you would've realized your desire to be a Marine sooner and would be at USNA or Marine-Option NROTC now, instead.

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
I'm currently on PTAD orders working with an Officer Selection Officer. I've been working with a Captain, Staff Sergeant and Gunnery Sergeant for the past 4.5 months so needless to say I've come to know the system pretty well. If you have plans on becoming a Marine Corps Officer, and an Aviator at that..there is no need for you to talk to an enlisted recruiter that is going to tell you that you SHOULD go to boot camp. Thats ridiculous in every sense of the word. If this recruiter doesn't refer you to an Officer Selection Officer (OSO) then he's not doing his job. The only form of basic training that you need to be concerned with is Officer Candidate School. And the beauty of attending OCS is that there is no obligation for college students who are not totally sure on what they want in their future. The Marine Corps only wants Officers that want to lead Marines, not someone who was feeling particulary motivated one week and is now bound by a contract to serve. As far as PLC goes, I would immensely recommend that you take advantage of it as soon as possible. I have seen way too many cases where a college graduate comes into my office and says that they wish they had started the process while they were still enrolled in school. And being college graduates, they are now only eligible for Officer Candidates Course (OCC), thus making the process of being selected for OCS much more harder and competitive. Take advantage of the PLC program because your chances of being selected by the board are extraordinarily higher than if you are OCC. Also, the Marine Corps will guarantee, yes GUARANTEE an air contract granted that you pass the Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB) and meet all the physical requirements. This guarantees you a seat in flight school. Rememeber, at any point throughout this process you can drop on request (DOR). I would not by any means recommmend it, but you can do it because once again....the Marine Corps does not want individuals who are bound to be there simply because a contract tell s them that they have to be there. Even while at OCS, you can DOR after the fourth week of training. You can literally say, "Ok, this really isn't for me, I'd rather be doing something else."

Simply stated, you NEED to get in contact with an Officer Selection Officer (OSO). They will not steer you wrong. If you really want to be a Marine Corps Pilot, then they will take a vested interest in you and help you get where you need to be. I'd be happy to answer any more questions you may have about the PLC program or the process that goes along with being selected for OCS. Best of luck to you.

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
When applying for PLC, does your OSO have a big influece on either you get accepted or not?

Yes, they do. Swanee is right, the OSO is not going to submit your application knowing that the chances of you getting selected are slim. With that being said, each OSO has a ranking system that he uses to rank all of his or her candidates. If there is a candidate who is a PT stud, excels in the classroom and is a charismatic leader, then that candidate is going to be ranked number one, and the selection board is going to take that into consideration when they are reviewing your application. The board is basically relying on the word of the OSO that the particular candidate is going to successfully induct into and complete OCS training.

b0pric01

pilot
Also, even after you complete your OCS training, your OSO can still keep you from commissioning. Although, I believe this is pretty rare, I have heard of a few cases and I believe someone I know may have a pretty big surprise coming to him soon. Just don't get nasty after training and you should be good to go.

GS-W

AH-1 W
Yes, they do. Swanee is right, the OSO is not going to submit your application knowing that the chances of you getting selected are slim. With that being said, each OSO has a ranking system that he uses to rank all of his or her candidates. If there is a candidate who is a PT stud, excels in the classroom and is a charismatic leader, then that candidate is going to be ranked number one, and the selection board is going to take that into consideration when they are reviewing your application. The board is basically relying on the word of the OSO that the particular candidate is going to successfully induct into and complete OCS training.

Wow didn't know this! Good thing my OSO is a cool guy!

GS-W

AH-1 W
So I was just selected today for an air contract... Now what?

Now before OCS I need to do my flight physical, and what else?

I was researching, and saw something about qualifying with the FBI, is this going to be another process i have to complete, or are they hopefully going to do this on their own ha, or am I just mis reading all together?

Any other hurdles I should be aware of prior to OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.