• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

March 2010 Boards

drevo454

1st timer, will go as many times as necessary...

23/M
SNA/NFO/SWO
5/6/5/49
Eastern Michigan University: Aviation Flight Technology, 3.29
Instrument rated private pilot (almost Commercial)...255 hours
LORs: 3 previous employers (outstanding reviews), flight instructor, O-6 ret. USAF F-16 pilot
Outstanding Motivational Statement

Senior member of the Civil Air Patrol (joined last year). AFROTC cadet (would much rather fly navy!). Hold a Michigan CPL (concealed pistol license).

The bomb at shining shoes...

Ready for OCS...

mbraesicke

Ranger
I can say with a fair amount of confidence that the whole person concept isn't just a feel good thing, however, you do need to be able to show that you have an aptitude to learn. And the only thing we have on the application that would suggest that is a high GPA or high ASTB scores, if you cant show either of those than you cant show that you have an aptitude to learn. Also, I'm willing to bet you wont find many naval aviators who don't meet at least some points of the whole person concept as well as aptitude. Considering the amount of money the Navy is putting into its SNA's I think its ridiculous to think selections could only be based on the black and white. Like NAVYBM2 said, the retention rates would blow up in the boards face.

My recruiter mentioned that when selections get tight they start by weeding out people with character flaws (past drug use, arrests, etc) first. Officer first, aviator second. BUT I have noticed a ton of people posting here whose recruiter's words of wisdom conflict with another recruiter's, so really everything you read (including my post) is just the result of nobody but the review board knowing whats going to happen. We are left to make our own guesses on the matter and stress about it for the month(s) leading up to the board.

Haymaker

Pro Rec SNA
SNA Only
22/M
9/9/8/59

Southeastern Oklahoma State Univ. - B.S. Aviation Science (Professional Pilot)
GPA - 3.25
Commercial, Instrument, CFII, Multi in progress - 275TT

4 LOR's - 2 ret. Air Force and one from schools Chief Flight Instructor

Extras - Flight Team, Alpha Eta Rho (Aviation Fraternity), Captain of High School football team (Don't know if it helps since it's HS but it can't hurt I suppose), ground and air instructor for junior flight team members and some volunteer activities.

Good luck everyone. Looks like it's going to be a tough board.​

marmy9876

28/m
SWO/SUP
ASTB 58
University of South Carolina (B) History Major- 3.0 GPA

Some extracurriculars - soccer coach, intramurals, volunteering, etc.
3 LOR's - Navy 0-8, 2 0-9s

Cons - DUI 7 years ago, Average/Low GPA, Weak Major
Pros - Great LORs (can't do much better than those ranks)
- Passed MEPS
- High ranking officers showing great interest in my application kit to selection board.

A little panicky about these March boards....lots and applicants with great stats. Good luck to everyone.
Hope to see some of you this summer if we are selected!

Tc85roadracer

Serious question here. I have seen several people with Astb scores in the 8's and 9's. What did you use for studying? SAT prep? ACT prep? ARCO and Peterson astb preps?

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Serious question here. I have seen several people with Astb scores in the 8's and 9's. What did you use for studying? SAT prep? ACT prep? ARCO and Peterson astb preps?
I used all three(SAT,ACT and ARCO) my scores were not very high(5,6,5, 52), but then again I only looked at them for two days before the exam! It is all about how much time you put in it I guess. Also, as far as I understand high scores on the ASTB DOES NOT = acceptance!

Good Luck

Shakeszilla

I used the Arco guide, and the gouge packet my recruiter sent me, though that was pretty dated. Also, because I only took a few math courses in college I scheduled a few appointments with a math tutor to help me get back up to speed. that was probably the biggest help because I had to re-learn long-division and he showed me a few ways to quickly rule out some of the wrong answers on the math sections. I studied for about 3 or 4 weeks for it and got a 7,8,8, 57.

JSC87

I studied the arco book and the gouge as well. The best advice I can give is to take a lot of timed practice tests. Time is your enemy on these tests and the only way to get used to doing problems and answering questions quickly under stress is to practice. It also shows you your weaknesses. My aviation knowledge, reading, and spatial scores were all solid. My math and especially my nautical sections were weaker. Based on that i knew what to study and really focus on. I did a timed practice test every day for 3 or 4 days prior to testing and got an 8/8/8/63. I finished every section with time to spare and don't think that would have happened if I did'nt practice on the clock. Best of luck to you!

N9148Q

Contributor
Tc85 I did the same as JSC87. practice with timed tests. Be sure to read the question and know what it is asking. When I took the test it was in the tiny room just big enough for me and a computer and a little window where the Chief could look in on me. I did ok but could have done better if I didnt rush through it. The kid after me seemed to get a little worked up about it and didnt do so well. So remember this is not that hard of a "test" and the key is to READ the question carefuly and be relaxed. Best of luck

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I used the Barron's book, which was so-so, but the Marine Gouge packet was probably the most helpful for me. I also used a GMAT guide for the Math parts. As far as the aviation sections, though, I didn't need to study much because I'm already an FAA pilot. I got a 63 8/9/9, and as I said, I attibute the 9s entirely to being a pilot already. Practicing with timed tests was the most helpful for the OAR section after I had studied up on everything.

flyman3456

Goshawk
Usually the 15th. Last board met on January 26th and results were out Feb 4th. Give about 7 business days for the results. You could probably expect results between March 23 and April 5.