• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Manhattan aviation accident...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many of the news reports indicate that he got out a mayday call, so it probably wasn't CFIT.

Brett

Another guy with too much money ... too much time on his hands ....

Come on now, lets be rational. Who knows what happens... just like you said, they could have made a serious mistake, I doubt they set out on with the intention to fly into a building.

Money and time doesn't qualify you.

Maybe he was just better at baseball than he was at flying. If he was working on his license then he must have had some type of interest in flying, regardless if he was rich or not; Not just to fool around and be stupid.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A news article says that all Cirrus aircraft are equipped with an airframe parachute. Never heard of that.

Cirrus has equipped their aircraft with a recovery parachute system from the beginning. Not new technology.

However, pulling the handle on this system pretty much gaurentees you'll crunch the aircraft in the ensueing landing. You stop having control with the parachute - you survive butthe airplave doesn't. And we are talking $200k plus airplane!

Looks like these guys were sightseeing down the VFR corridor down the East River (underneath the Class B) and quite literally were't watching where they were going. Tragic.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
crashgrafiklarge.jpg

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
So, travelling northbound and crashes into the northern side of the building. Interesting predicament.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Come on now, lets be rational. Who knows what happens... just like you said, they could have made a serious mistake, I doubt they set out on with the intention to fly into a building......
Rational?? Hopefully, I am. Intentionally fly into the building??? No, of course not .... who said anything "irrational" like that ??? Why would they???

My comment was based on years and years of seeing big boys with big boy's toys ... and all too often the mixture results in tragedy. Money and desire do not equal "being qualified" ... and that fact is frequently brought home with tragic results ...

Example: one of my acquaintances is a mechanic with a national, professional race team. In a previous life, he was a Blues maintainer -- an aircraft mechanic on the team. He's told me on more than one occasion when comparing professional racing to aviation .... "these boys (race car drivers) and their toys ... and they THINK they know what speed is ..... " :)

I know some names --- you know some of them ---and whether it's cars, airplanes, boats, whatever .... the end result all too often is a result of too much money (will buy anything) and too much time on one's hands (time to pursue those unrealized expectations).

Hope my "irrationality" is a little more coherent, now. If not ... kill me. :)

Whalebite

A tragedy ... and it always is , to be sure ... but:

Without knowing anything ... the signs are there: Another guy with too much money ... too much time on his hands ....

The mountains of Western Washington are scattered with them ... doctors, dentists, lawers, internet millionaires ... "smart guys" ... "rich guys" ... the Islands of the Hawaiian Chain are scattered with them ....

Flying is serious business ... only the qualified should apply ....

Money and time doesn't qualify you.

Apparently he was with an instructor. Having money and time is a requisite to become proficient in an aircraft (unless mil training). No one starts out a qualified professional, no one is born an aviator, therefore no one should apply because no one is qualified? ;) Everyone has to learn, and I cant think of a more responsible, professional way to continue to learn to fly after getting your PPL, than to continue to fly with an instructor.

Hope my "irrationality" is a little more coherent, now. If not ... kill me.

Haha, nice taking the converse of the rationale I made. I understand, its just a sad incident to see again...I guess we can say the same for the Kenndey's incident then? (sp?)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
JFK Jr. was a classic example of what A4s was talking about. He has enough money to buy more plane than he can handle, and morts himself (and his passengers) doing something he had no business doing, namely flying low over water at night under VFR with marginal VMC/IMC weather. All that with a couple hundred (like 200?) hours and no cloud card. UNSAT for headwork.

About this latest crash, does anybody else think that the area they were "training" in is just a bit "sporty" for some guy working on his PPL? I'm not a CFI, but have been a RAG IP and wouldn't want to try any basic training in that kind of airspace, if for no other reason that the risk of getting violated. Any CFIs weigh in on this?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
About this latest crash, does anybody else think that the area they were "training" in is just a bit "sporty" for some guy working on his PPL? I'm not a CFI, but have been a RAG IP and wouldn't want to try any basic training in that kind of airspace, if for no other reason that the risk of getting violated. Any CFIs weigh in on this?

PPL training in Class B airspace is piss poor headwork.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
. As long as you don't suck, it's good training.

That's the problem. Students suck. That's why they have instructors to keep them from killing themselves. That includes all of us when we were students. You have to learn somehow.

Now, a CFI should be able to control his student and monitor everything else around him, but his bucket will fill faster with more outside distractions (ATC, traffic, buildings, etc.).

Anyway, I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it probably isn't such a hot idea.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Disagree. I grew up flying in TPA's class B. As long as you don't suck.....

See ... there's the catch. You can't "suck". The same could be said for Class A, C, D, E, ..... and XYZ airspace as well.

The morale of the story: Don't suck at Aviation. Many are "called" (many erroneously) ... few are chosen .... :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
this latest crash, does anybody else think that the area they were "training" in is just a bit "sporty" for some guy working on his PPL?

Just for the record...he had his PPL...he was continuing to fly with his instructor.