• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Manhattan aviation accident...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sidesticks...very nice. Is a pretty advanced a/c for someone with 88 hours total. How many since he got his SEL. 30?

Or describe it in the promoting way the NY press does it "He had amassed over 80 hours of pilot in command time." ooooohhhh ahhhhhhh

Too much money, too much toy. :(

sr20_2.jpg

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
You're not kidding HD. VFR Corridors are nothing new or special. The way I understand it they're designed to alleviate the workload for controllers as well as pilots flying them. You better not show them the Helo routes that are charted through some of the large cities in the country, they'd probably freak out.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or describe it in the promoting way the NY press does it "He had amassed over 80 hours of pilot in command time." ooooohhhh ahhhhhhh

Sounds like a frigging FITREP bullet. They had this guy who had flown with him once on there claiming that he was a "fantastic pilot." First of all, what makes this journalist, non-aviator, qualified to comment on the guy's piloting skills? Second, nobody with 80 hours, or 300 for that matter, is a fantastic pilot. The media is so full of sh!t most of the time - it's really starting to piss me off.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The fact that this particular airspace is New York's airspace is irrelevant. If you're going to do Class B transition or corridor training, why wouldn't you use the nearest airspace? Wouldn't that be the airspace most likely used by a resident of New York/New Jersey?

Not necessarily. This is all based on stuff we're just pulling out of the air, since none of us really know what happened, but if you're not up to speed in the cockpit, going into or under a very busy Class B environment may not be the best place to start. Again, independent of what was actually going on in this case.

But what would I know about taking studs into a busy class B environment...

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
The media is so full of sh!t most of the time - it's really starting to piss me off.

Brett
It's just starting to piss you off now?
I stopped watching TV to better my health by lowering my blood pressure. :icon_rage
I digress. Hopefully, the accident wasn't the cause of recklessness.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're not kidding HD. VFR Corridors are nothing new or special. The way I understand it they're designed to alleviate the workload for controllers as well as pilots flying them. You better not show them the Helo routes that are charted through some of the large cities in the country, they'd probably freak out.

Yep, keep all the kids in the sandbox.

Fongabonga

pilot
Looks like the FAA is going to ban all low alt flights along the NYC waterways... so much for my hopes of a scenic cross country home. Typical knee jerk reaction.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
I was watching TV the other day and some sea hag was shocked that people could fly airplanes with only about 40 hrs of instruction. I belive she said somthing along the lines of how it was terrifying how people could fly these "missiles" around. In her humble opinion pilots should have about 500 hrs before they are licensed. Then I felt somthing pop behind my eye.

Just another example of one person screwin things up for the rest of us.:icon_rage

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was watching TV the other day and some sea hag was shocked that people could fly airplanes with only about 40 hrs of instruction. I belive she said somthing along the lines of how it was terrifying how people could fly these "missiles" around. In her humble opinion pilots should have about 500 hrs before they are licensed. Then I felt somthing pop behind my eye.

Just another example of one person screwin things up for the rest of us.:icon_rage

They're the same people that want to ban guns when someone flips out. They're afraid of life.

It should horrify her how easy it is to get a DRIVING license.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
They're the same people that want to ban guns when someone flips out. They're afraid of life.

It should horrify her how easy it is to get a DRIVING license.
Ri-i-i-i-i-ght ... and which kills more?? Firearms .... airplanes .... or cars ???:)

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
At once or over a long period of time.

My guess is aviation in a death toll per incident.
Guns in a lethality of incidents.
And Cars for gross numbers and average incidents per year.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

As in guns have more fatal accidents/total number of accidents?? What do you mean here?

The other thing that no one else is talking about is incidents corrected for use. How many hours are flown between incidents vs. driven/accident etc... I know that commercial aviation has one of the lowest incidents/passenger mile that there is. I realize that GA is worse, but the GA/automotive comparison would be interesting. Anyone have any info?

Looks like the FAA is going to ban all low alt flights along the NYC waterways... so much for my hopes of a scenic cross country home. Typical knee jerk reaction.

I find this hard to believe. There are several heliports on Manhattan that would likely find themselves out of business. I smell a court battle if this is indeed the case...Not to mention the fact that all those high power traders downtown won't have any way to work...poor guys.:D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My guess is aviation in a death toll per incident.

That... doesn't change anything. Say 1 737 crashes a year. That's 150 people. Sure, they all died at the same time, but it doesn't match the THOUSANDS that die in car crashes each year.

Uh, what? It's more lethal to die from a gun shot than a car crash? I don't think I follow.

And Cars for gross numbers and average incidents per year.

Hugely so.