• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Manhattan aviation accident...

MasterBates

Was he upgrading? Getting an area fam?

Once I got my ticket, I NEVER flew with a CFI other than upgrades, biannuals, and rental check outs.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just for the record...he had his PPL...he was continuing to fly with his instructor.
Speculation & guesswork:

..... that has all the marks of a guy who probably SHOULD NOT have gotten his ticket. It goes back to my original point of how money can buy .... anything. What NYC/NJ flight instructor is going to say "NO" to a NYY baseball pitcher .... ???

You don't NEED to fly with your Instructor after your License ... unless there's another reason .... ???

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Speculation & guesswork:

..... that has all the marks of a guy who probably SHOULD NOT have gotten his ticket. It goes back to my original point of how money can buy .... anything. What NYC/NJ flight instructor is going to say "NO" to a NYY baseball pitcher .... ???

You don't NEED to fly with your Instructor after your License ... unless there's another reason .... ???

Perhaps it was the new plane he just bought. A4s I don't normally disagree with you but I think you have the wrong attitude about this situation. Say he hasn't flown in awhile because of the baseball season, would you want him to just go and fly by himself? He was smart enough to know he needed to take an instructor along so it isn't like he was intentionally being unsafe. I guess we'll see what happened when the accident report comes out.

S.O.B.

pilot
Perhaps it was the new plane he just bought. A4s I don't normally disagree with you but I think you have the wrong attitude about this situation. Say he hasn't flown in awhile because of the baseball season, would you want him to just go and fly by himself? He was smart enough to know he needed to take an instructor along so it isn't like he was intentionally being unsafe. I guess we'll see what happened when the accident report comes out.

He was required to have an instructor with him.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyway, I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it probably isn't such a hot idea.

@HD:

My comment was originally not directed at you, but now that I reread your post, I understand your point. Probably not the best place to do Class B training (if that's even what they were doing...all supposition on our part).

The morale of the story: Don't suck at Aviation.

I agree and as such, was 50% of the point of my post.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
He was required to have an instructor with him.

Why is that? Everything I've read said he got his license last year. And the CFI is from Cali, owned a flight school out there according to the latest article on Foxnews.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Boob tube is reporting that he had the instructor because he was moving the plane from NY to CA and wanted someone with experience to be with him. Just the latest .02.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Cirrus is a pretty advanced ASEL... does it have a data recorder? I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PPL training in Class B airspace is piss poor headwork.

I did all of my IFS training in/around the Class B and constantly changing ADIZ around Washington, DC. At first, it was a helmet fire of the highest order, but it basically forced me to not be totally retarded on the radio. In the end, I think it was more beneficial if for no other reason than the comm exposure. Come to think of it, since then I've only flown through Class B airspace once.

nugget81

pilot
PPL training in Class B airspace is piss poor headwork.
I disagree. Private Pilots are authorized to enter Class B airspace, but how are they supposed to know how to operate in that airspace (or even the VFR corridor) unless they've received training in it?

gatordev said:
Probably not the best place to do Class B training (if that's even what they were doing...all supposition on our part).
The fact that this particular airspace is New York's airspace is irrelevant. If you're going to do Class B transition or corridor training, why wouldn't you use the nearest airspace? Wouldn't that be the airspace most likely used by a resident of New York/New Jersey?

Fly Navy said:
The Cirrus is a pretty advanced ASEL... does it have a data recorder? I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
No actual data recorder on board, however it does have an AHRS and dual-GPS avionics package that may have some short-term memory storage (not designed for accident investigation purposes, however.)

Cirrus Website said:
Training
Question: How does Cirrus transition pilots to fly a glass cockpit?
Answer: Each customer is required to complete transition training in their new Cirrus after the delivery process. The primary provider of the transition flight training is UND Aerospace (my school).
I surmise that this may have been a Cirrus factory training flight. According to the FAA's aircraft registry, Lidle purchased the airplane around July/August. Given the baseball season, he likely would not have had time to conduct the transition training until just after the Yankees were knocked out of the playoffs. Of course, all of this is purely speculation from a CFII with SR20 experience (but I am by no means an expert).
Also, one of my roommates provided flight instruction for the Cirrus transition course and often flew cross-country flights (like MN-TX) to meet time requirements and such, so the NY-CA flight sounds feasible to help meet these purposes, if this was the case.

SemperApollo

From the path the newspapers drew, it looks like they were in the VFR corridor below the class B. Stay below 1100 feet in most places over the Hudson and East River and you technically don't have to talk to anyone.