• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Make Money Flying Civilian on Weekends

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty big difference between a military plane and a civilian one not having authorization to land at a military field.
Truth. I'm just saying "clearance to land" means something specific to us. Not non-aviators, even the ones who've been around jets for 30 years. This guy had a PPR anyway, it was just a comms issue with base ops that had already been fixed by the other squadron's SDO by the time I figured out what the hell the Master Chief was talking about.

jmcquate

Contributor
As many other AW members could testify, I certainly can't claim to never have hosed anything up in my aviation career. But thank God that I have thus far always done two things: landed at the correct airport, and landed with my gear down!

But for the grace of God go I.
A certain, to remain un-named NA/Astronaut made a landing at Ellington Field in a T-38 in belly skid mode when I was at JSC...........oh the carnage to that beautiful little white jet. It can happen to the best of them.

ryan1234

It was a little unusual in that she had her CFI/CFII and other ratings, taught & flew charter before getting picked up for an ANG C-130 pilot slot. She was an exceptionally competent pilot and great teacher. But the situation is definitely the exception rather than the norm.

That's actually fairly common amongst the Guard. They're usually hired based on having a job/career that meshes well with the part time ANG life-style. In the AF, it's not uncommon for Pilots/WSOs to have a CFI and do part time instructing - not so much for a side revenue, but because they enjoy doing it.

Being a CFI is one thing, but taking corporate trips is a little tougher... because of currency, recurrent training, etc. Most companies aren't going to pay for that if your schedule has no flex... maybe during breaks in training, but that won't hold up forever.