• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Make Money Flying Civilian on Weekends

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
How are they "bespoke" socks? Bespoke would be someone measuring my foot and making a sock specifically tailored for me. Picking which stripes I want and which of three sizes I need is not "bespoke". /ridiculous threadjack

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
Hi everyone. I hope to join the Navy after college (Senior in high school now). I want to be a Navy Pilot and I was wondering if Navy pilots are authorized to fly civilian aircraft on the weekends when they are free. Can Navy Pilots get paid to fly people in their spare time using civilian aircraft? Thanks.

Hahaha. Yes, if you are fine with being a terminal O-3. If you want a chance at making O-4 you need to spend one day per weekend as valet to your front office.

Sorry, too soon for terminal O-3 jokes?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How are they "bespoke" socks? Bespoke would be someone measuring my foot and making a sock specifically tailored for me. Picking which stripes I want and which of three sizes I need is not "bespoke". /ridiculous threadjack
Was going to mention this. A bespoke suit is a little more than just picking out colors.
Maybe the "bespoke" part is only available on their cruise sock line?
Knew someone was going to go there. Surprised it took that long.

jcj

The CFII who did my instrument rating was a USAF pilot on AD doing her initial C-130 training (I'm in Little Rock). It was a little unusual in that she had her CFI/CFII and other ratings, taught & flew charter before getting picked up for an ANG C-130 pilot slot. She was an exceptionally competent pilot and great teacher. But the situation is definitely the exception rather than the norm.

DOD physicians, who are of course offices (Army, USAF, USN) can sometimes moonlight for $$ in the civilian world if they're properly licensed in their state, qualified & there is opportunity. I think it's the same for nurses. They have to have command approval, they have to sign off a bunch of stuff acknowledging that their military duties take precedence over civilian work (even on short or no notice) and they have to have malpractice insurance.

So yes it's possible to work on the outside while you're an officer if you are professionally qualified, if you have your command's permission and if work is available. But it's a hassle, and there's no guarantee except military duty always comes first - even if it's a short notice or no notice change that is a bad deal for your .civ job. Seems like it would be really hard to do in flight training, if possible at at all.

NewGuy639

Thanks for all of the great information! I don't want to fly for the airlines on my spare time, I don't think I could do that and also be an effective officer. I was thinking more of Cessna 172's and similar small aircraft. Kind of freelance stuff for fun every so often. I just wanted to know if I could get paid too.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Or like this clown who probably can't get a weekend job to save his life now. Landed this right next to my house.
:rolleyes:

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As many other AW members could testify, I certainly can't claim to never have hosed anything up in my aviation career. But thank God that I have thus far always done two things: landed at the correct airport, and landed with my gear down!

But for the grace of God go I.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The controller said he was cleared to land,but meant that the runway was unobstructed?... WTF? I get that the guy was way in the wrong, but the controller's testimony is batsh##.

It may be a case of the prosecutor making it clear to the judge and/or jury that while the controller cleared him to land that did not mean he was actually authorized to land at the field, that and the reporter probably didn't understand the context. While an aviator knows what 'cleared to land' means a layperson may not understand that doesn't necessarily mean someone is authorized to land at th field, I imagine the prosecutor may have realized that and thus broke it down for the non-flyers in the courtroom.

I wonder how much longer he is CO of the IDC region.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It may be a case of the prosecutor making it clear to the judge and/or jury that while the controller cleared him to land that did not mean he was actually authorized to land at the field, that and the reporter probably didn't understand the context.
Not unusual. Had a jet from my air wing making a parts run to NUW once when I was SDO. Couple hours after it launched, our MMCPO came running up in full freakout mode that the jet wasn't cleared to land. Huh? Finally got him to describe what he was talking about, and it was a PPR issue.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not unusual. Had a jet from my air wing making a parts run to NUW once when I was SDO. Couple hours after it launched, our MMCPO came running up in full freakout mode that the jet wasn't cleared to land. Huh? Finally got him to describe what he was talking about, and it was a PPR issue.

Pretty big difference between a military plane and a civilian one not having authorization to land at a military field.