• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Make Money Flying Civilian on Weekends

NewGuy639

Hi everyone. I hope to join the Navy after college (Senior in high school now). I want to be a Navy Pilot and I was wondering if Navy pilots are authorized to fly civilian aircraft on the weekends when they are free. Can Navy Pilots get paid to fly people in their spare time using civilian aircraft? Thanks.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
What kind of airplanes are you talking about? Sure you can spend your own time doing something you like to do. Plenty of guys fly other airplanes on their time off. However, officers aren't allowed to have a second job. Plus, you won't want to work for the man on your own time- that stuff is precious enough as it is, why would you give it to someone else?

ben4prez

pilot
What kind of airplanes are you talking about? Sure you can spend your own time doing something you like to do. Plenty of guys fly other airplanes on their time off. However, officers aren't allowed to have a second job. Plus, you won't want to work for the man on your own time- that stuff is precious enough as it is, why would you give it to someone else?
Not entirely true - you can request and get authorization to have a second job from your command. My buddy is the founder of a bespoke sock company that he got authorization to run while also being on active duty.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi everyone. I hope to join the Navy after college (Senior in high school now). I want to be a Navy Pilot and I was wondering if Navy pilots are authorized to fly civilian aircraft on the weekends when they are free. Can Navy Pilots get paid to fly people in their spare time using civilian aircraft? Thanks.

If you are thinking of trying to be a commercial airline pilot while you are in the Navy you can dismiss that notion right away, it ain't going to happen. The only ways I think you might be able to get paid to fly folks on the weekend is if you owned a plane, worked for a really good buddy who owned a plane/charter company or maybe if were an instructor and did it as a side gig. But for all the guys I have flown with in the Navy I haven't known a single one that got paid to fly on the weekends.

Not entirely true - you can request and get authorization to have a second job from your command. My buddy is the founder of a bespoke sock company that he got authorization to run while also being on active duty.

Ummmm, what?!

Last edited:

ben4prez

pilot
Ummmm, what?!
Yea, he had this idea that he wanted to create super high quality, marino wool, American made socks. So he did a kickstarter, raised $50,000 and hopefully will be delivering them soon. He's incredibly entrepreneurial by nature (one of the most productive members of the CNO's Rapid Innovation Cell I've ever seen).

http://www.penancehall.com/

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Not entirely true - you can request and get authorization to have a second job from your command.
Random follow-up question: What about secondary sources of income? I authored a textbook from which I'll be receiving royalties. Do I need to get that cleared with the Navy?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I know several guys that fly part time as a CFI. Heck, the CFI that gave me my tailwheel endorsement was an active duty O-5 NFO.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Random follow-up question: What about secondary sources of income? I authored a textbook from which I'll be receiving royalties. Do I need to get that cleared with the Navy?
More than likely you'll be fine, but you'll probably want to get a Navy Lawyer to write you a letter stating that there is no conflict of interest.

exNavyOffRec

Yea, he had this idea that he wanted to create super high quality, marino wool, American made socks. So he did a kickstarter, raised $50,000 and hopefully will be delivering them soon. He's incredibly entrepreneurial by nature (one of the most productive members of the CNO's Rapid Innovation Cell I've ever seen).

http://www.penancehall.com/

When I see those socks I think of a woman dressed up in a school girl outfit