• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major Samuel "Skidkid" Leigh

Yankee Uniform Tango
Through my interactions with him via chat and PM, skidkid always came across as a true professional and a great person to boot. I never met him in "real life," but this hits home.

RIP, sir. I wish we all got to see Odin's face when you knocked on Valhalla's gate with your Snake's Hellfire.
beeri.gif

1rotorhead

pilot
I had no idea Finkle is Skid Kid. I first met Finkle a year ago as my squadron was preparing for a det to his base in Atlanta. As the Ops O, I spoke with him on numerous occasions prior to arrival and found him to be a true professional with a great attitude. Once we go to Atlanta, he and his squadron welcomed us as fellow aviators and bent over backward to help us out. He took the time to teach my wardroom about USMC aviation and tactics. We also did some mixed section work with him and his squadron mates. Overall, the det went great and he was a key part. He was just a great guy and true professional. An excellent example of what a Marine Aviator should be. We even left a bottle of 18 yr scotch for him, his favorite. This saddens me and my squaron to know he is gone. Cheers Finkle, you will be missed.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Small navy...sadly a bit smaller now - but a better place for his service, mentorship, and courage.

RIP friend.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
"A letter of Reprimand is better than no mail at all" - a favorite quote from his profile.

Unfortunally, it was my posts that needed modded that caused the interaction...but his wit and personality will be missed. Semper Fi and RIP brother.

MataMorosCreo

pilot
I had no idea Finkle is Skid Kid. I first met Finkle a year ago as my squadron was preparing for a det to his base in Atlanta. As the Ops O, I spoke with him on numerous occasions prior to arrival and found him to be a true professional with a great attitude. Once we go to Atlanta, he and his squadron welcomed us as fellow aviators and bent over backward to help us out. He took the time to teach my wardroom about USMC aviation and tactics. We also did some mixed section work with him and his squadron mates. Overall, the det went great and he was a key part. He was just a great guy and true professional. An excellent example of what a Marine Aviator should be. We even left a bottle of 18 yr scotch for him, his favorite. This saddens me and my squaron to know he is gone. Cheers Finkle, you will be missed.

As one of the junior guys on this det, I was struck by Finkle's enthusiasm for wanting to teach Navy guys about Marine tactics. I noticed that everyone's attention always turned to him when he was in the room and he always seemed to have a bit of knowledge to drop on the crowd. He was also quick with a joke, which made the whole experience even more memorable. He will surely be missed. Finkle, hopefully we can grab another beer in the next life. Cheers.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Last week was a tough one to be in skids.

I didn't know Skidkid except here on AW

I didn't know the other skid crews except by other associations

They have all reached out and touched the face of God

Bless them all

V/R
Bug

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I just want to pass on my sincere condolences to Skid's family. To learn of the loss of an AW, in the midst of an already humbling week in military aviation was tough.

Though I never had the pleasure of meeting Skid in person, I was lucky enough to engage in conversation with him on AW over the past few years and I'm sure I'm a better Officer, and person for it.

Today we are here to say "Friend, the watch stands relieved. Relieved by those you have led, guided, and trained. You stand relieved. We have the watch."

Rest In Peace, Sir.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I am saddened to hear of another fellow Aviator making the ultimate sacrifice.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Rest In Peace Major, you will be missed around these here parts.

I also don't want to forget the eight other souls who made the sacrifice as well.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
This has been a bad week for naval aviation. May they all rest in peace.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Like many others, I cannot say I knew Major Leigh.

SkidKid was one of the first people to reach out to me in PM on this board, offering advice on getting through Maine winters as I went off to college. I can remember a couple instances where he would ask me how damn long I'd been on this board, and then instruct me to hurry through school, get off chat, and go to OCS already.

His humor, encouragement, style, as confirmed by what I've read above, are deeply appreciated, and will be remembered.

Godspeed.