• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MAJOR IRR Policy Change...

These comments are for the VTU in general: choose your own adventure. Going to the VTU has decreased my stress level to 0 when it comes to civilian / Reserve balance.
  • In the IRR-VTU you are exactly the same as SELRES in terms of CAC card, etc., etc., you are just in a non-pay status and cannot be mobilized (unless, of course POTUS authorizes mobilizing the IRR)
  • You continue to earn points which is what matters for retirement
  • Extreme flexibility
  • No worry about involuntary mobilization
    • At least for NIFR ratings (AG, IS, IT, CT, 1815, 1825, 1835) we are managed in terms of mobilizations on a national mob list. So you always know where you are on the "list." Scroll down to the Mobilization Readiness List (CAC enabled; select email certificate)
  • One weekend a month; no annual AT requirement. Yes, you still get a good year
  • You still have to maintain GMT/Medical/Dental
  • You can go on ADT, ADSW, and can volunteer for a mobilization if you want
    • I have an E6 who is on ADSW to Bahrain
  • If you live in an area where there are other commands, you can go ADDU there to do stuff
    • An O4 in my VTU is now ADDU to the same SELRES unit from which he came when he dropped his VTU request
  • Many people who are HYT - and who want to be SELRES - are in the VTU, however, the HYT rules have changed as of late due to demand for certain Enlisted rates
What Bubblehead said is all true, although for my relatively short time in the VTU I would add a slightly different perspective:

I thought drill weekends as SELRES were a slog, and then in the VTU it was suddenly a slog during which I wasn’t getting paid four days worth of pay. You still miss kid’s soccer games, or have to get up early after a social Friday night...but you’re not getting paid.

For your particular situation, I’d add the following:
-think about staying SELRES until you make O-4; I’ve heard different things on promotion in the VTU. You’re working and getting fitreps, so I’ve heard “you’re just as competitive!” And I’ve also heard a douchey O6 say “why would we promote somebody who’s not interested in getting paid?” (???)
-If you go VTU, have a plan and sell it to the CO. When I left the VTU, I was work remote, weekdays at the NOSC, and flex drill, which made it much more tolerable. Talk to Bubblehead since he seems to have it dialed in.
-Some SELRES units are better for recharging your batteries than others, if you’re coming up on new orders. Just ask around or PM me.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What Bubblehead said is all true, although for my relatively short time in the VTU I would add a slightly different perspective:

I thought drill weekends as SELRES were a slog, and then in the VTU it was suddenly a slog during which I wasn’t getting paid four days worth of pay. You still miss kid’s soccer games, or have to get up early after a social Friday night...but you’re not getting paid.

-think about staying SELRES until you make O-4; I’ve heard different things on promotion in the VTU. You’re working and getting fitreps, so I’ve heard “you’re just as competitive!” And I’ve also heard a douchey O6 say “why would we promote somebody who’s not interested in getting paid?” (???)
-If you go VTU, have a plan and sell it to the CO. When I left the VTU, I was work remote, weekdays at the NOSC, and flex drill, which made it much more tolerable. Talk to Bubblehead since he seems to have it dialed in.
-Some SELRES units are better for recharging your batteries than others, if you’re coming up on new orders. Just ask around or PM me.
Thanks and concur.

At least with my current VTU CO, if I can't show up on the weekend due to a conflict, I reschedule the drill to take place during the week and am allowed to complete it at home by working on Navy crap (GMT, some type of training that I can document), etc.

Hit me up with any questions. Coincidentally enough, I will hit 28 years of commissioned service when I reach 62. Meaning, I can stay in the Reserve as an O4 until I am 62. If I made O5, I could do the same. Lots of options with no downside.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Dumb questions: Can you make O-5 in the IRR-VTU? If so, how do you make your packet stand out among peers who are SELRES? And, if you select for O-5 from the VTU, do you then have to compete for paid SELRES billets in APPLY or do you stay in the VTU?

bluemarlin04

Ok thanks. I am coming off active duty and joining the reserves. I have 15 years of service and just need to slog out the last 5. Unsure how to go about it.

Thanks and concur.

At least with my current VTU CO, if I can't show up on the weekend due to a conflict, I reschedule the drill to take place during the week and am allowed to complete it at home by working on Navy crap (GMT, some type of training that I can document), etc.

Hit me up with any questions. Coincidentally enough, I will hit 28 years of commissioned service when I reach 62. Meaning, I can stay in the Reserve as an O4 until I am 62. If I made O5, I could do the same. Lots of options with no downside.

I will send a PM

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Ok thanks. I am coming off active duty and joining the reserves. I have 15 years of service and just need to slog out the last 5. Unsure how to go about it.
15 years? Are you 2xFOS? Designator? You may want to look at affiliating with Reserve in another designator where there is a need. Specifically, a 18X5 designator.

You may have to first affiliate with the SELRES. Then, ride out your 2 year mob deferment after which point you could submit your request to go VTU for the remainder.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

15 years? Are you 2xFOS? Designator? You may want to look at affiliating with Reserve in another designator where there is a need. Specifically, a 18X5 designator.

You may have to first affiliate with the SELRES. Then, ride out your 2 year mob deferment after which point you could submit your request to go VTU for the remainder.
10 active, 5 reserve. I am not a 2x FOS. Prior enlisted who commissioned. I am an active duty 1830.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
10 active, 5 reserve. I am not a 2x FOS. Prior enlisted who commissioned. I am an active duty 1830.
Tracking thanks. If you are interested in making O4 I would consider dropping over to SELRES first and changing over to IP on your way to Reserve. You will make O4 as an IP. No doubt. INTEL O4 selection is sucking at the moment, even for people with multiple mobilizations. Last board was pretty bad.

INTEL selections....

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 13.34.33.jpg

...As compared to IP

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 13.35.06.jpg

Dumb questions: Can you make O-5 in the IRR-VTU? If so, how do you make your packet stand out among peers who are SELRES? And, if you select for O-5 from the VTU, do you then have to compete for paid SELRES billets in APPLY or do you stay in the VTU?
I had thought it was exactly the same, but I had one O-6 (who seemed like a blowhard) the philosophy of “you have to prove should promote a guy who’s obviously not interested in MOBing”. I’m not sure, but I think the inferior, SWO-version of this board had guys saying the same.

So, I added nothing to your question, but I am curious as well.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...prove should promote a guy who’s obviously not interested in MOBing.
There is more to the VTU than MOB avoidance. It is much more relaxed and much easier than SELRES. Some people just need a break from it all due to various circumstances.

A well written letter to the board could clear all of that up. So can participating and adding value while you are in the VTU.

There is more to the VTU than MOB avoidance. It is much more relaxed and much easier than SELRES. Some people just need a break from it all due to various circumstances.

A well written letter to the board could clear all of that up. So can participating and adding value while you are in the VTU.
Bubblehead, I agree with your comment about MOB avoidance, but I do believe that perception exists.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...but I do believe that perception exists.
Heck yeah it does, but I don't care. If people do not like the VTU then they can drop a note to the Chief of Naval Personnel.

Most of what I have encountered are whiners who seem bitter about the fact that they have been involuntarily mobilized, in some cases more than once, and view everyone else who has not done the same as inadequate. Then, there are others who want to go to the VTU but don't have the sack to make the transition. Then, there are others who are financially tied to the SELRES.

The Navy obviously felt the need to have a VTU cadre. You can't punish people for availing themselves of the process.