What Bubblehead said is all true, although for my relatively short time in the VTU I would add a slightly different perspective:These comments are for the VTU in general: choose your own adventure. Going to the VTU has decreased my stress level to 0 when it comes to civilian / Reserve balance.
- In the IRR-VTU you are exactly the same as SELRES in terms of CAC card, etc., etc., you are just in a non-pay status and cannot be mobilized (unless, of course POTUS authorizes mobilizing the IRR)
- You continue to earn points which is what matters for retirement
- Extreme flexibility
- No worry about involuntary mobilization
- At least for NIFR ratings (AG, IS, IT, CT, 1815, 1825, 1835) we are managed in terms of mobilizations on a national mob list. So you always know where you are on the "list." Scroll down to the Mobilization Readiness List (CAC enabled; select email certificate)
- One weekend a month; no annual AT requirement. Yes, you still get a good year
- You still have to maintain GMT/Medical/Dental
- You can go on ADT, ADSW, and can volunteer for a mobilization if you want
- I have an E6 who is on ADSW to Bahrain
- If you live in an area where there are other commands, you can go ADDU there to do stuff
- An O4 in my VTU is now ADDU to the same SELRES unit from which he came when he dropped his VTU request
- Many people who are HYT - and who want to be SELRES - are in the VTU, however, the HYT rules have changed as of late due to demand for certain Enlisted rates
I thought drill weekends as SELRES were a slog, and then in the VTU it was suddenly a slog during which I wasn’t getting paid four days worth of pay. You still miss kid’s soccer games, or have to get up early after a social Friday night...but you’re not getting paid.
For your particular situation, I’d add the following:
-think about staying SELRES until you make O-4; I’ve heard different things on promotion in the VTU. You’re working and getting fitreps, so I’ve heard “you’re just as competitive!” And I’ve also heard a douchey O6 say “why would we promote somebody who’s not interested in getting paid?” (???)
-If you go VTU, have a plan and sell it to the CO. When I left the VTU, I was work remote, weekdays at the NOSC, and flex drill, which made it much more tolerable. Talk to Bubblehead since he seems to have it dialed in.
-Some SELRES units are better for recharging your batteries than others, if you’re coming up on new orders. Just ask around or PM me.