• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Maj Sam "SWACQ" Griffith

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I only knew him from the forum, and even from that, I know we've lost a great guy. I'm sorry to hear it.

phrogpilot73

This is seriously a punch in the gut for me. I apologize if it appears as though I'm drunk posting, because I am. Wasn't planning on drinking tonight, but shit happens.

SWACQ was still on active duty when I went through TACP school. He taught me how to be a FAC. I was the Battalion AirO when my Battalion was the host battalion for an EWTGLANT TACP shoot post deployment. SWACQ found me, wanting debrief items from our deployment.

I left active duty and found myself in a civilian job that I loved - working alongside SWACQ (now a reservist with 4th ANGLICO, and a FSR for StauderTech). My desk faced SWACQ's. He lent me his RV for the 4th of July Weekend. We worked closely together on getting his Marines jump qualed (My squadron sent two planes - me included - to Vero Beach, then sent another two planes to AP Hill when we didn't get it done in FL). We had a beer tasting in my office (that included MB). His son told him that he thought I needed a new callsign, because "Stinky" was mean. MB, SWACQ and I did a secretive beer tasting in the office one day (I told my department head about it today, and he's going to arrange for a memorial beer tasting with the department sometime next week).

I've been to his house. I've met his wife, dog, and his two awesome sons. His sons gave me a fairly detailed tour of the RV before we borrowed it. Fuck, I miss you brother...

According to the Virginian Pilot:

"His memorial is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Vineyard Community Church, 4444 Expressway Drive in Virginia Beach. In lieu of flowers, donations may be given in his name to the USO, his church or the sender's favorite charity."

If I get a chance to talk to Casey (his wife, not MB), I'll ask about us doing a scholarship rather than generic donations (for the record, he would read AW to his wife while sitting in bed on his phone). Just not now. More beer. Fuck, I miss you brother...

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Shitty news! I did some training with JTACs from the 4th ANGLICO in August of 09 in Pinecastle Range. Anyone know if he was involved?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always had a smile and a beer ready for you on the porch of Sig Tau.

phrogpilot73

For those that are in the area and know him, a wake is scheduled for 6-10 PM on Sunday at the Crowne Plaza on Bonney Road in VA Beach. Everyone is invited - His sister said it's going to be a celebration, and to bring photos and stories. Memorial service is scheduled for Monday at 11 AM at the Vineyard Community Church, also in VA Beach.

His family is in Dover, receiving the remains. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

EWTGLANT N8 is working to figure out how to set up a scholarship fund.

phrogpilot73

Someone found this gem online... Ladies and Gentlemen, in 35 seconds - this video captures SWACQ. His love of mustangs, friends, and even more his family. Not to mention his infectious smile. Yup. Tilted one or two back in your honor again tonight. Wish you could have been with me and Retch at Taste today. Miss you brother...