• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M-16 vs M-4 vs What?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MSSR... don't think I'm familiar. Got a pic? Or is it just an M-16 with optics?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever
Disregard the "smoke/flare launcher" in the pix ..... ;)

Mayday said:
Smoke/flare launcher my @$$. Looks about as close to a 203 is you can get. Can it do what it looks like it can do?

M148.jpg

Gee ... I don't know for sure (;) ) ... I'm gonna take a wild guess and say: Yes, it can ... but "they" are usually marketed as smoke/flare launcher" for U.S. retail consumption. If you say "what it is ... what it will be" in the open -- like a human being -- there is always the assorted cretin who will take offense. And THAT'S offensive to me .....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
MSSR... don't think I'm familiar. Got a pic? Or is it just an M-16 with optics?

mssr-3gen-1.jpg

The Philippine MSSR ??? - a.k.a ... "Marine Scout Sniper Rifle"

The MSSR was developed out of a need for a designated sniper rifle for the Landing Battalions of the Filipino Marines. They were operating on a limited budget (the Philippines -- what else is new, huh??) , and didn't have the expert gunsmiths to modify a M14 or any of the other standard rifles used for sniping. But they do have the experts who know how to work on M16's. They have been producing the M16A1 under license for several years, and all the troops are framiliar with the handling of the weapon. So they did the logical thing and built a sniper rifle on the M16A1 platform.
Their armorers took an existing M16A1 lower receiver and replace the upper with a DPMS match upper and Barrel. This includes a floating aluminum handguard tube and a Harris bi-pod is attached to that. They use a Tasco Armored 3-9x40mm scope, not really my first choice, in fact, not a very good choice in my opinion. But they did have a very limited budget to work with, so this is probably the one area they thought they could get away with cutting. They use a J&P match trigger that has been fine tuned. The rifles are tested and only get issued if they will shoot 1 MOA or better with M855 ammo.

Soooo ... in size, weight, ammo weight, tactical combat ranges, and user-friendliness, the M16A1 pattern "fits" the "Joes" a whole lot better than an M14-type rifle. These guys are quite good --- just go into the jungle with a Negrito Scout for a week and you will want one in your survival vest forever --- BELIEVE IT !!! There is no such thing as an "average" Filipino ... they are either the "best" or the "worst". I wish we could say the same --- the Phillipines --- what a great country and a fine people. I just wish they could "shake" the bureacratic legacy of graft and corruption passed down from Spanish colonial times. If they could --- THEY would be the "powerhouse" of Asia. HOOOOAH !!! (end of editorial ...)

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Fly -
When in doubt, "search." J/K

The MSSR is just a re-vamped M-16, with improved firing stability and, of course, the quintessential scope that makes it a sniper rifle.
mssr1.jpg

Here's the results of my google on the MSSR, which proved tougher than I thought:

Site I jacked the pick from, with good specs and info.

More stuff (script errors here)

For additional info look halfway down this page.

All I know is, it was a dam fine weapon by the look and feel, but I didn't get to see it get fired. Its owner - or should I say caretaker? - sure was enthusiastic about it. He claimed he could plink dimes with it @ 400 yds...

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
A4sForever said:
...They were operating on a limited budget (the Philippines -- what else is new, huh??)
More like "...the Marines on a limited budget - what else is new..."

Any time I gotta forfeit 35% perdiem so it gets made good use of by the command makes me proud to be a MArine! Do more with less, Oorah!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mayday said:
A4sForever said:
...They were operating on a limited budget (the Philippines -- what else is new, huh??)
More like "...the Marines on a limited budget - what else is new..."

Sure, agreed; the USMC is great and gets a lot done on what they comshaw out of the USN's bugetary dumpsters (exaggeration) ... BUT we're talking apples and mangos here: the USMC is living LARGE compared to the Phillipine Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force. Really living large ..... no comparison. Por ejemplo:

garet.gif
flag.gif

The ex-USS Garrett County now in service with the Philippine Navy as the BRP Kalinga-Apayao. This 4,080 ton LST 512-1152 amphibious ship and its sister vessels have been modified by the Philippine Navy to serve as mini-helicopter carriers, each with two(2) UH-1H helicopter gunships amidship. It is armed with six(6)Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft guns.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mayday said:
The MSSR is just a re-vamped M-16, with improved firing stability and, of course, the quintessential scope that makes it a sniper rifle.

A scope does not make a rifle a sniper rifle. A sniper on the trigger makes a rifle a sniper rifle.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
A scope does not make a rifle a sniper rifle. A sniper on the trigger makes a rifle a sniper rifle.

Concur, Fly ... and that applies to any long gun ever made. And these are not "a re-vamped M-16, with improved firing stability and, of course, the quintessential scope that makes it a sniper rifle" .... as a matter of fact, the scope is the weakest part of the system.

Check: SNIPER CENTRAL @ http://www.snipercentral.com/

Check it again ... (the Filipino) " armorers took an existing M16A1 lower receiver and replace(d) the upper with a DPMS match upper and Barrel. This includes a floating aluminum handguard tube and a Harris bi-pod is attached to that. They use a Tasco Armored 3-9x40mm scope, not really my first choice, in fact, not a very good choice in my opinion.......They use a J&P match trigger that has been fine tuned. The rifles are tested and only get issued if they will shoot 1 MOA --- or better --- with M855 ammo. "

Now ... hardly a "stock" M16. And show me the M16A1 that will shoot 1 MOA -- or "better" -- with M855 ammo with only the addition of a Tasco 3-9x40mm scope and bipod .... ?? Hmmmmm ??? I don't think so .....

Good discussion .... sure glad we did not succumb to a "Firearms Forum" on this website ..... ;)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wtf
they built a nice DPMS rifle and put a f-cking Tasco sight on it? did they just run out of money and say "f-ck it... we'll just grab a scope from wal-mart"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
wtf
they built a nice DPMS rifle and put a f-cking Tasco sight on it? did they just run out of money and say "f-ck it... we'll just grab a scope from wal-mart"

Probably not --- great innovators, the Filipinos ... you just gotta' understand the P.I. and the way things work over there. It's great --- I hope you get there sometime. See Rome & Die ... ??? Naaaaaaa ...... it's see Manila and Die.... :) The U.S. Navy is a lesser organization today for its lack of an ongoing Philippine/Subic/Olongapo connection .....

For example ... See what the Joe's can do with a standard issue USGI Willys JEEP:

Jeepney2-big.jpg

MABUHAY !!!

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Anyone know where I can get some cheap USGI 30rd AR-15 mags? I need teflon coated w/ green followers. Looking to spend 15 - 17 per mag.

Thanks

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
Anyone know where I can get some cheap USGI 30rd AR-15 mags? I need teflon coated w/ green followers. Looking to spend 15 - 17 per mag.

Thanks

www.ar15.com go to the Equipment Exchange.