• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M 16 and M4 Civilian Variants

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're going for a true M4 copy (14.5" step cut barrel), you need to fill out an ATF Form 1 and pay the $200 tax for it to be legal. With less than a 16" barrel it will be considered a Short Barreled Rifle/Title II weapon.

Unless you throw an aftermarket (longer) flash suppressor on it.
Which is why the major manufacturers weld their flash suppressors to the barrel. If it's removable, it doesn't count.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Isn't there some sort of pistol exemption from the whole SBR thing? I have no problem paying the $200 tax....but waiting 6 months to build my SBR is out of the question in my opinion. Anyways, isn't that why people have these short-barrells on gay looking stockless M4's and call them pistols? Hell, I'd just do that, then put a stock on it and keep it in redneckville where I grew up.......of course that would be illegal.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Isn't there some sort of pistol exemption from the whole SBR thing?

Fly I know you know this but for the AR newbies on this forum the ATF absolutely does not play around with this sort of thing. This reply is mostly meant for them. I used to shoot with a guy who had is rifle "double" in front of the wrong crowd and it ended up costing him a fortune to prove in court that he didn't illegally modify it to shoot full auto. Right or wrong with the ATF the burden of proof is on you not them.

By ATF definition there is no pistol exemption for a SBR. You can own an AR pistol and not have to do the tax stamp thing. But for example, if the lower that you build the pistol with has ever been logged in to a FFL's books as a rifle, you must do the paperwork and pay for the stamp. That's why you see people selling "pistol lowers". They aren't any different than a rifle lower other than they have been "logged in" as a pistol. If you have an AR pistol (that will have a barrel shorter than 16" of course) in your house and an extra AR buttstock laying around, you damn well better have another AR nearby missing a buttstock.

I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means but I do know there are pretty strict guidlines that when not followed can earn you a no bull shit felony charge.

Rant over.....

FLY_USMC

pilot
Thanks for the info! I think I knew about 50% of that in a round about way, but not completely. I never had any interest in building an SBR until I watched "Heat" on TBS and realized I too could rob a bank...if only I could own an 11.5" M4 and a long trench coat. When I return from sunny Iraq, that will be my next project.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I hear you. I would love to have an 11.5" 6.8 SBR but in NC you have to get the county sheriff to sign the papers. It's a "may issue" not "will issue" as with CCW. Some counties will and some won't. Mecklenburg Counties won't.

You can establish a corporation or LLC and that entity can purchase a SBR etc without the signatures etc but I've never done it. Too lazy I guess.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Great Deal on AR-15 Receivers...

This is not my auction. I came cross this great deal on gunbroker and just had to share. The more evil black rifles we have in circulation, the happier I am.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125538920

PRE ORDER, $72 per receiver, $20 shipping, 3% charge for credit card orders, sales tax to FL residents only. Receivers ship in June. These are LRB lowers---a very high quality make.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Too good to be true? I'll take my chances at these prices.

And I JUST said yesterday that I won't buy any more guns. . .

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
If anyone's looking for AR lowers, I've just been notified I won a shipment. :D