• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M 16 and M4 Civilian Variants

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Alright I am currently playing in the Sand and want to add to my "Military Weapon Collection" (currently 1903 Springfield, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine) Dad has an M14 and I want to work on the newer weapons.

I want to get a M-16 and an M4 in their civilian variants before the new administration. Any Suggestions on brands would be sincerely appreciated since time and bandwidth are something I don't really have alot of time to do proper research. Plus the fun police are in abundance here!

utak

I ordered an LWRC M6, 5.56mm, in 14.7 inch barrel . . . coming in a few weeks. I'm getting it with the regular M-16A2 type carrying handle and a set of Paul Howe's CSAT combat sights. Gas piston system, cold hammer forged barrel. Simply can't go wrong with LWRC.

m6_10_14_16.jpg

Bring on the zombies.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I want to get a M-16 and an M4 in their civilian variants before the new administration.

Well, work quickly. :D Not really, suspect we have a year before they throw in another "Assault Weapon" ban (unless of course Flash writes in to support).

I went with a Bushmaster M4 in 5.56 and while I've not shot it much it's worked well and came with a case and one 30 round magazine for $800 last summer. Suspect they're a little more right now.

AR.jpg

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Build your own.

This cost me $800 about a year and a half ago. I'm sure it would be more now, but overall you get more bang for your buck if you build your own.

IMG_0800.jpg

I convinced my wife I need an M1A (M-14), so that is my next project.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS. No problems with them so far. My buddy got a Bushmaster also (we both have the same one Pugs pictured) and he had a problem with it not ejecting the shells properly. Turns out a little $1.00 piece was f'd up. Quick fix and his works great.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prices are up; I paid $1100 for a Sabre M4gery a couple months ago. They're selling out FAST though. I tried to order some PMAGs online and they're backordered to a fare-thee-well. President-Elect Obama is the best gun salesman on Earth.

Bevo16

pilot
I got a Rock River Arms M-4 for Christmas. From myself to myself. I have not fired it yet, I'll let you know when I get back from the range.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Stag offers a few varients. I have a Model 2T and I'm awaiting a couple of Off List Lowers (OLL) from other manufacturers to build an additional AR15 and an AR10 in 308 cal.

I kind of hate to jump on the bandwagon now but I delayed this far too long already. Eric Holder and President Barak are truly special people. If they don't go after the guns- they'll go after the ammo.

Let me paraphrase Thomas Jefferson:

When the government fears it's people= It's called liberty.

When the people fear the government= It's called tyranny.

Unarmed? -You WILL go with the governmental flow and you will LIKE IT!

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I own Bushmasters and RRA's and have owned Colts. Stick to the top 5-6 manufactures and you probably can't go wrong as long as you are talking 5.56 weapons.

Now all you got to do is find one in stock somewhere.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I own an Armalite AR-15 and love it, started life as an M16A4 SPR and has turned into a sort of SASS variant only 5.56. I'll build an M4 when I get back from the sandbox.

GroundPounder

I own Bushmasters and RRA's and have owned Colts. Stick to the top 5-6 manufactures and you probably can't go wrong as long as you are talking 5.56 weapons.

Now all you got to do is find one in stock somewhere.

What he said. I have a Colt, DPMS, and a Smith & Wesson, and they are all pretty much the same. The Colt belongs to my employer, the other two I paid for, prices are going through the roof. If I had to guess, it will get better and prices will return to 3 Nov 08 levels in the next 6 months or so, as I think that the administration may be a little preoccupied with the economy to spend a lot of time on the new gun ban. However, they will get around to it, and who knows what prices will be at that point.

Zissou has said that he thinks that after the first of the year guns and ammo will be in greater supply, and I'd tend to give what he says a great deal of weight.

utak

Has anybody here tried to replicate a Mk 12 rifle? I saw pictures of them floating around and they look pretty neat. Anyone in the know about them?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If you're going for a true M4 copy (14.5" step cut barrel), you need to fill out an ATF Form 1 and pay the $200 tax for it to be legal. With less than a 16" barrel it will be considered a Short Barreled Rifle/Title II weapon.

Unless you throw an aftermarket (longer) flash suppressor on it.