• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
"Any dollar spent on a Tomcat is better spent on a Hornet!"

Still better than the CNAP who told the HC-3 (46 FRS) CO that he would trade our entire community for another F/A-18.

Further proof that the truth hurts.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Also, pitot static instruments are less laggy and usually better calibrated (larger scale) than your AoA indexer, so you'll be able to see the movements sooner and correct. So bottom line, airspeed is key to a good AoA approach. Leave it in your scan.

The easiest/earliest way to see the trending is usually the airspeed. Just flying the red green chevrons is a pretty reactionary way to do it, where you're basically always behind.

I really hate to rain on your ..." L=0.5*rho*(V^2)*S*(CL) .... CL=f(AoA); more explicitly, CL~2*Pi*AoA + k " .... parade, but:

Do you have time for a question?? How many carrier landings did you say you have ... ???

Since you don't have the foggiest idea how to fly/land aboard USS BOAT using AOA or anything else ... your suggestions make one wonder what all those fools who thought that you could do it w/ "meatball, line-up, angle-of-attack" were thinking all those years, anyway ....

Here -- I have a suggestion for you that will help you in your quest for Navy Wings:

Why don't you STFU and quit trying to "instruct" things you don't have a clue about ... Mr. 1390 ??? You know the ol' drill; eyes & ears OPEN, mouth SHUT re: how to fly in the Navy ??

Or better yet -- when/if you ever get to CQ -- make certain that when you "brief" your CQ class and the LSO's on the proper way to fly the ball in the pattern and at the BOAT -- you tell 'em that the AOA is superfluous and to watch the A/S so you won't be making any "reactionary" corrections on the ball.

You'll really impress one & all --- it will be very jolly. :)

Good grief. Sometimes ... I really, really weep for the future of Naval Aviation ...

91331841es5.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really hate to rain on your ..." L=0.5*rho*(V^2)*S*(CL) .... CL=f(AoA); more explicitly, CL~2*Pi*AoA + k " .... parade, but:

Do you have time for a question?? How many carrier landings did you say you have ... ???

Since you don't have the foggiest idea how to fly/land aboard USS BOAT using AOA or anything else ... your suggestions make one wonder what all those fools who thought that you could do it w/ "meatball, line-up, angle-of-attack" were thinking all those years, anyway ....

Here -- I have a suggestion for you that will help you in your quest for Navy Wings:

Why don't you STFU and quit trying to "instruct" things you don't have a clue about ... Mr. 1390 ??? You know the ol' drill; eyes & ears OPEN, mouth SHUT re: how to fly in the Navy ??

Or better yet -- when/if you ever get to CQ -- make certain that when you "brief" your CQ class and the LSO's on the proper way to fly the ball in the pattern and at the BOAT -- you tell 'em that the AOA is superfluous and to watch the A/S so you won't be making any "reactionary" corrections on the ball.

You'll really impress one & all --- it will be very jolly. :)

Good grief. Sometimes ... I really, really weep for the future of Naval Aviation ...

91331841es5.jpg

Do you always have to sugarcoat your posts? Tell 'em like it is!!! ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
A4s: Since it appears he's a "Prop Addict" and P-3 bound....he will never "know" the joy you describe. What a shame. Tailhook Navy is REALLY missing out on the "professor".

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s: Since it appears he's a "Prop Addict" and P-3 bound....he will never "know" the joy you describe....

Yeah ... got that; which is even more to the point re: his AOA flight instructions & technique. But it ain't "over" 'til it's over, is it ??? You never know what the future holds....

In any case, the following still applies to many/most STUDs until you call "
MODEX #, ABEAM, Final-Final" at the field on your last TRACOM hop ... :)

stfufz0.gif

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"[The superior man] acts before he speaks, and afterwards speaks according to his actions." (Confucius)

It's far, far better to have tried to do and to have done, than to talk about how it's done, but never actually do. (Catmando)

Concur with A4s…..STFU until you do, actually do something.

PS – Stupid questions are welcome here, and answered. Novice pontificating is not.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Why is it that ATC's on the carrier are enlisted, but NFO's in E2s do something similar as officers? What do they do that is so different? Does a hand-off happen between the Carrier ATCs and the E2 NFOs? At what point? I hear the new class of carrier isn't going to have a super structure and depend on E-2s totally for ATCing.

sorry for the drunk ramble incoherent post, but the boys are in town and I'm getting married on Friday!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why is it that ATC's on the carrier are enlisted, but NFO's in E2s do something similar as officers? What do they do that is so different? Does a hand-off happen between the Carrier ATCs and the E2 NFOs? At what point? I hear the new class of carrier isn't going to have a super structure and depend on E-2s totally for ATCing.

sorry for the drunk ramble incoherent post, but the boys are in town and I'm getting married on Friday!

The guys in the E-2 tube aren't generally performing ATC functions. Depending on the type of mission, they're usually doing AIC for the air to air fight, not vectoring guys around for an approach. As for part two to your question, doesn't sound like it's based in reality. The E-2 is never airborne during all flight ops and if you're suggesting that the presence or absence of a superstructure (island, if that's what you mean) is going to somehow eliminate the CVN's ability to employ some kind of air surveillance radar, well, that's also just silly. Where did you hear such nonsense?

Brett

Brett

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Very wrong. As Brett mentioned, what we do in the Hummer isn't ATC. ATC is about procedural control; we do command-and-control, specializing in AIC. In other words, helping the good guys put weapons on targets. We do have a limited capability for ATC-type functions, i.e., the HCA or Hummer-Controlled Approach, but that's for when CATCC is broken or the Boat's in EMCON. Other than that, the only procedural control we offer is giving guys "sugar steers" to their wingmen, tanker, etc.

Whoever gave you that bit of wisdom about the Ford class has been reading too many shitty war novels. Note big boxy thing on the starboard side below.

775px-CVN-78_Artist_Image.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....We do have a limited capability for ATC-type functions, i.e., the HCA or Hummer-Controlled Approach, but that's for when CATCC is broken or the Boat's in EMCON....

We tried that a couple of times @ night for "practice EMCON" in the '70's on one of my ships. :eek:

Guys were looking for any and all excuses to get out of THOSE recoveries. Talk about a shit-storm behind the ship. :D

It was about as much use (then) as practicing bleeding ... :)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
\The E-2 is never airborne during all flight ops and if you're suggesting that the presence or absence of a superstructure (island, if that's what you mean) is going to somehow eliminate the CVN's ability to employ some kind of air surveillance radar, well, that's also just silly. Where did you hear such nonsense?

Brett

Brett

Uncle Fester said:
Whoever gave you that bit of wisdom about the Ford class has been reading too many shitty war novels. Note big boxy thing on the starboard side below.

Kinda what I figured. Some new guy engineer type that I went to high school with years ago was telling me this stuff (and more) about the new CVNs last night. Seeing as how he is employed as an engineer at the ship yard in Newport News and I'm neither in the Navy nor employed by NGNN I kept the mouth shut- even though the BS meter was registering.

Thanks for the info on the E-2 NFOs. I have a few sailing buddies who do that (1/2 of them in the RAG), but they really don't talk about their job. Somehow they would rather talk sailing when I'm around.:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Some new guy engineer type that I went to high school with years ago was telling me this stuff (and more) .....
Ahhhh ... there's your first mistake. Listening to engineers ... :)

In over 40 years in Aviation and the NAVY ... I've never consistently come across as many guys -- engineers -- who were so smart on theory and yet knew so little about reality ...

... and I was "almost" one ... :D

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Reminds me of a quote I saw posted on the wall somewhere...

"Sometimes you have to shoot the engineers and start production"

Status
Not open for further replies.