• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The inane rules and regs of small-boat wardrooms is true, though. On my shoe cruise, we were doing a lot of boardings of possible narcotrafficantes, so anywhere between 3-8 hours out on the RHIB for me and my boat crew. If we missed chow, tough shit. And it's also correct that it's usually the suppo's fault. I couldn't even get him to leave out some PB&J's..."that's just making more work for my FSAs". Ass.

Did all of the JO working toward their qual rotate through that job, or were you the dedicated "boarding officer?"

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did all of the JO working toward their qual rotate through that job, or were you the dedicated "boarding officer?"

Supposed to have done... the captain preferred having a "primary" BoatO with a few others as reliefs.

As Floyd said: "Fuck you, beeotch!"

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
More like different species... Like Galapagos, Gentoo, and Adelie are all birds; nonetheless, like all the other Penguin species, they have wings but can't fly... ;)

Sorry my 2 anchored amigos, too easy!

I know some stick monkey that isn't getting his banana.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is the difference between an NFO, RIO, or WSO? Are the two latter just sub categories of an NFO?

RIO's, WSO's, TACCO's, ECMO's and SEVAL's are (or were ;)) all NFO's, they are just the aircraft specific designations/names for NFO's.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
To expound upon the banana-less monkey's statemets, RIOs and WSOs (as well as ECMOs) are all NFOs. It just depends on the aircraft. Prowler NFOs are referred to as ECMOs (electronic countermeasures officer) and Hornet/Super Hornet NFOs are WSOs. RIOs went away with the retiring of the Tomcats.

-Flash beat me to it

Speaking of which, Flash, what is a SEVAL?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
1. Do Helo and Harrier guys get graded by an LSO?
1a. What is their form of an LSO called if different?
2. If so, how do they do they grade on LHDs and small boats?
3. When you guys refer to a "small deck" are you referring to small boats like destroyers, or are you referring to LHAs and LHDs?

Pags

N/A
pilot
3. When you guys refer to a "small deck" are you referring to small boats like destroyers, or are you referring to LHAs and LHDs?

For helos...no, other than the HAC pointing out that you're not on centerline. There's no greenie board for helos (at least not in HSC).

Small boy would be a single spot, air capable ship...like a FFG, DDG, or CG.

LHAs and LHDs are called Gators.

phrogpilot73

1. Helo guys - no.
1a. Helo guys have an LSE (Landing Signal Enlisted). No grades, just gives us mainly advisory signals. Only mandatory ones they give us are waveoff and hold.
2. No grades. Just alot of smack talk in the cockpit/cabin.
3. Small decks are DDGs, FFGs, CGs, LSDs, and LPDs (one or two spots for helos). LHAs and LHDs are called big decks, or big deck amphibs.

EDIT - Gators fits for LHAs, LHDs, LSDs, and LPDs as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.