• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had ONE meal in the wardroom of a DDG on my 2/c cruise. I was happy to eat on the regular messdeck after. At least there I knew what I was getting when I asked for them to put it on my tray. Not to mention I felt like a tool ordering my lunch from some poor Seaman that got stuck cranking instead of doing their real job. One more reason to avoid the Shoe-Life!

Yeah, as PSW mentions, aviators can still do that. It's not that big a deal after a while. At first, it's weird, but everyone knows it's the way it is and most don't take it personally. I always tried to be proactive w/ them, tried to be friendly, bussed my dishes when I could, and if an order was messed up, I'd politely let them know or walk up and switch it out. The true toolboxes were the guys that took it personally when an order was wrong or expected service that wasn't realistic during a busy meal and/or in "difficult" seas.

MasterBates

On the CGs I cruised on we had one long table, and 2 smaller ones. We tried to stick to the small ones if we could.

Waiting for the CO of the ship to join us (sometimes 30+ minutes after dinner "started") so we could eat, when we had to launch right after. Whole new meaning to chew & screw.

Then the pantry was locked when meals were not being served. If you were flying during mealtime, tough shit, go hungry at times. Other times they would give you pasta, peas and carrots to eat in the helo.

I'm not kidding.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Well if you go HSL you eat in the same Wardroom we do. So I guess you'll feel like a tool again.
If you go HSL, you'll hopefully recognize that the FSA serving your food wants nothing more than to finish his time mess-cranking so that he can FINALLY start learning the job he's getting paid to do.

If you go HSL, you'll also be one of only 4-6 people in the wardroom with the common sense to realize that that FSA is the last person to touch your food before you eat it.

If you go HSL, you'll get a nightly dinner show of watching people be a total douche-bag to that FSA who is the last person to touch their food. Then, as you finish your leisurely dinner as one of the only 4-6 people left in the wardroom, that FSA might tell you what he might have heard that somebody might do to the food of someone who is a total douchebag.

Good times.:D

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Other times they would give you pasta, peas and carrots to eat in the helo.

I'm not kidding.
Easily solved by taking the lead CS out to the helo and strapping them into the harness - never had anymore problems after that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Easily solved by taking the lead CS out to the helo and strapping them into the harness - never had anymore problems after that.

MB and I have talked about this before. Cluing the CS in can be helpful, but it doesn't solve the overall problem. The SUPPO is the one that needs to be set straight.

As for having to wait for the CO, I've never had that problem. 99% of my time was on FFGs, so it wasn't an option, but even on the two CGs I was on, if you were a watch stander or aircrew about to fly, you could eat early. But even if that wasn't a solution, why not just go down to the mess deck and eat down there? It's the same food and you get it when you need it.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it depends on the ship. We have all types of O's and civilians eat in WR 1 and 2. Also a jolly mix in 3, so I don't think a "dirty shirt" exists on our boat. I have never heard anyone request to join the mess on this ship. I'm glad too.

They do have a HOD's (head of department) dinner just about every night in WR3, so I guess it is fancier.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go directly to see Nose; do not pass Go or collect $200

Me and my friend were discussing this and I just wanted to get the real scoop. I know officers pay for chow, however where do you guys eat them ?

I heard somewhere that officers on the boat either eat in a more serious wardroom with the SWOs and other officers, and that aviators/nfos eat in a separete more laid back type wardroom. Maybe I am entirely misinformed, but where do you all eat?

Not so fast. This question rightfully belongs in the "Stupid Question" thread where it serves to enlighten others and you don't get chastised for asking it. Let it be so via miracle of mod powers.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Neither Big Boat I've cruised on thus far (JFK and Ike) had a dirty shirt/formal wardroom divide. The fancy wardroom with the china and cloth napkins and no food fights and such was reserved for DV feeds but otherwise not much used. I guess with the advent of SWOveralls for all hands, the shoes realized how stupid it was to make everyone change out of their working coveralls for the purpose of eating.

The inane rules and regs of small-boat wardrooms is true, though. On my shoe cruise, we were doing a lot of boardings of possible narcotrafficantes, so anywhere between 3-8 hours out on the RHIB for me and my boat crew. If we missed chow, tough shit. And it's also correct that it's usually the suppo's fault. I couldn't even get him to leave out some PB&J's..."that's just making more work for my FSAs". Ass.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The inane rules and regs of small-boat wardrooms is true, though. On my shoe cruise, we were doing a lot of boardings of possible narcotrafficantes, so anywhere between 3-8 hours out on the RHIB for me and my boat crew. If we missed chow, tough shit. And it's also correct that it's usually the suppo's fault. I couldn't even get him to leave out some PB&J's..."that's just making more work for my FSAs". Ass.

On top of all the other "wonderful" box lunches I've been given by small boys, I was given a bread sandwich. Just 2 slices of bread wrapped in cellophane. I wanted to punch that chop in the throat for that.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
On top of all the other "wonderful" box lunches I've been given by small boys, I was given a bread sandwich. Just 2 slices of bread wrapped in cellophane. I wanted to punch that chop in the throat for that.

Was there a bottle of water in that box as well? :D

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

From the CVN's, it's no better. I've gotten moldy sandwiches, heel sandwiches (bread sandwich made with the heels), the pea's and soup plate, frozen lunches >5 yrs old, chicken wings, empty drink boxes, empty capri suns, cookie wrappers, etc.

Problem is, we don't even look in them until airborne back to the beach. I blame the ATO for not taking care of the aircrew. I don't mind not eating even on the long hits, but my aircrew start the aircraft loading at least 2 hours before brief and don't stop until the plane has been put to bed after the flight. Some days that can be over 8 hours. They are the ones getting screwed by bad box lunches!

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Neither Big Boat I've cruised on thus far (JFK and Ike) had a dirty shirt/formal wardroom divide. The fancy wardroom with the china and cloth napkins and no food fights and such was reserved for DV feeds but otherwise not much used. I guess with the advent of SWOveralls for all hands, the shoes realized how stupid it was to make everyone change out of their working coveralls for the purpose of eating.

GW in 2002 had an informal divide, but I agree with Fester on JFK & IKE. ENT was just bad everywhere so we were all in it together...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Was there a bottle of water in that box as well? :D

I think there might have been some durka juice.

We also don't look at the box lunches until airborne....in this case there was a thought of going back and throwing them out in plane view of the boat, but at that point everyone just wanted to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.