• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Stupid Question: I recently saw a video wherein a Comanche did a barrel roll. I've never seen a helicopter do that before, so what other copters are capable of this? Is this something helicopter pilots practice, or was this just someone showing off? Pretty cool either way.

The kind of aerobatics that a helo can do is dependent alot on what kind of head is has. The limiting factor is the pilot, as you fvck up aerobatics in a helo and, well, you're a goner.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Naval helos are limited by NATOPS from doing that, at least the ones I know of. The biggest problem is that in helos with teetering heads i.e. "semi-rigid", taking negative g's can make the rotors come off. It's physically possible in others, but you'll almost certainly overstress components.

Also, think about the lifties involved. Go upside-down in a helo, and you have a big fan pulling you down to the ground.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, NATOPS limits aeorbatics in any helo. However, purely aerodynamically speaking, pretty much any helo is capable of aerobatics to some degree. Like you said, negative g's would cause an underslung head to depart, but flown with positive g the whole time then the helo could aerodynamically make it around a loop. That's not an issue on a fully articulated or rigid head. The only limiting factors really are pilot capability and the issue of overstressing components.

It's an interesting concept. In radio controlled model helos, you can get a helicopter to hover upside down, in addition to flying normally right side up. Granted, the power-to-weight ratios of those model helos is redonkulous, but it demonstrates that a rotary-wing aircraft can in fact do aerobatics.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, but the models can pull negative pitch. I think that is the distinction, otherwise , they wouldn't generate the lift required going the other direction. In most helos even with the collective bottomed, the pitch and lift is still positive.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, hovering upside down is the extreme example, but with a conventionally rigged model helo (no negative pitch) you can still do aerobatics. It at least proves the aerodynamic principles of being able to the different maneuvers.

Flugelman

Contributor

Phrogdriver,
Here's the real thing for your Avatar...:)

Saw it at the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, OR. Not a very good picture because of all the clutter in the background but you get the idea.

Attachments

• OneManHelo1.jpg
    OneManHelo1.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 112

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Back in the early 1980s, the NADEP at Pensacola used to loop CH-53s coming out of rework all the time. Saw it a lot when I was at VT-10 in 1983. In fact, everyone would look at the NADEP flight schedule to see when they were doing the test flights just to watch it as it was amazing to watch. I think they looped a few AH-1s there too but I'm not positive on that one.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Back in the early 1980s, the NADEP at Pensacola used to loop CH-53s coming out of rework all the time. Saw it a lot when I was at VT-10 in 1983. In fact, everyone would look at the NADEP flight schedule to see when they were doing the test flights just to watch it as it was amazing to watch. I think they looped a few AH-1s there too but I'm not positive on that one.

Looping a helo on what I would presume was an FCF isn't the brightest idea I've ever heard of. Were you there to see the loop or to remove yourself from eligibility as a member of the mishap board? :eek:

MasterBates

Brit Lynx's can loop and do it.. Between being on BALTOPS and seeing the Crazy Russians (and flying with them) and seeing what the Lynx can do first hand, the 60 paled in comparison.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

I'm not so sure about that. We only admit to one U.S. -53 having been looped (by a USMC test pilot shortly after the first few came off the line). It never flew again and is now on a stick. SAC has a video of it looped in their lobby and will happily tell folks the whole story.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm not so sure about that. We only admit to one U.S. -53 having been looped (by a USMC test pilot shortly after the first few came off the line). It never flew again and is now on a stick. SAC has a video of it looped in their lobby and will happily tell folks the whole story.
I saw it done at Pensacola half a dozen times at least while I was in VT-10 in 1983. The instructors would even give the class a break if they knew it about it ahead of time.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Very interesting - I'll have to ask the SAC types what they know about it. The first one it was done on ended up with such severe structural issues they decided to strike it.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Dumb question

If you are landing on a carrier, are you using power for altitude and pitch for airspeed

Or do you just do whatever you need to do to stay on glideslope and speed and aoa

Status
Not open for further replies.