• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some old-tyme colors (Orange) I have not personally seen other than an OIC that was Huey pilot with VC-6 in Antarctica before they decommed and he became an HSL guy.

That would be VXE-6, who wore orange for the obvious reason that it stood out in Antartica. We had a few former LC-130 guys in my squadron.

VXE6patch.jpg

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/navy/vxe-6.htm

VC-6 are the guys that fly UAV's.

vc-6.gif

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/navy/vc-6.htm

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's an entry to a service record that states the Sailor in question has been officially directed to do something. Lose weight, get their warfare pin, etc.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
PG-13 ICO Son of a Grunt

PG-13 ICO Son of a Grunt

You are hereby directed to refrain from further religious pontification or from attempting to direct adults on how to live their lives. Continuing these actions will result in disciplinary action to include temporary or permanent ban from this web site.

HAL Pilot
By direction

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
How did birds get back to a moving boat before reliable radio and satellite navigation?

What do birds use to get back to the boat now?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How did birds get back to a moving boat before reliable radio and satellite navigation?

These days one uses a PIM (Position of Intended Movement) - a lat/long given prior to launch that gives you a rough idea of where the boat will be. Then the TACAN should get you home. There are all kinds of procedures to follow if your NAVAIDS aren't working and you can't find mother on your own.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
Here is another stupid question:

How come NMCI won't allow me to use my Navy War College CDs in their computer?

Because that would make sense........and since when did anything that makes sense ever work on NMCI?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Birds? Sometimes Blackshoes refer to a carrier as a "Bird Farm", but thay also call surface to air missiles "birds". Carrier aviators do not refer to aircraft as birds. You weren't referring to homing pigeons perchance?

If you meant aircraft, plotting boards were used to keep track of headings, distance, time and expected location of ship (based on expected course after launch). By WWII, a relatively primative homing system was in use, but dead reakoning was always the back-up. During the Battle of Midway, aircraft from the Hornet were lost when they couldn't find their way back. The use of the expanding square search was a standard technique to locate a target or homeplate when either one wasn't where it was expected to be.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I always thought it was "The ship is moored," But that is four words. I also heard "Free beer on the pier!" TWICE, upon pulling into Australia. Courtesy of XXXX brewery. I give in though, what are the two best?

"LIBERTY CALL!" (Usually repeated for extra effect)

Status
Not open for further replies.