• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuggyU2

None
Popeye means your in the soup, e.g. IMC, and therefore can't clear visually for traffic.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Tally means you can see a target (enemy aircraft, target on ground, traffic, etc). "Visual" means you can see your wingman or a friendly. So technically, you could be "Tally, blind"

To me, "Tally, looking" is really saying that you see something bad and are looking for your lost wingman.

Nose

pilot
Popeye means your in the soup, e.g. IMC, and therefore can't clear visually for traffic.

Also used at the ship:

From CV NATOPS:

4.12.2.3 Case III Departure Voice Reports.

These reports will vary with weather, state of training,
EMCON condition, and the type of operation. The following
reports are commonly used:
1. Airborne
2. Passing 2,500 feet
3. Arcing
4. Established outbound (on assigned radial)
5. Popeye, with altitude (see Note)
6. On top, with altitude
7. Kilo.

Note
When in IMC, Popeye will be a mandatory
report for departing aircraft passing FL 180
(or assigned departure altitude if lower) if
not on top.

Kilo means "Proceeding on Mission"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tally means you can see a target (enemy aircraft, target on ground, traffic, etc). "Visual" means you can see your wingman or a friendly. So technically, you could be "Tally, blind"

To me, "Tally, looking" is really saying that you see something bad and are looking for your lost wingman.

Speaking of Tallies*, guess we need to discuss difference between Bogies (no Joboy jokes, please!) and Bandits

*Legacy British version is "Tally-ho" ("Chap" ending is optional)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Unless I missed it amongst all the other Aviator "shorthand" ...

"Looking, looking .... NO JOY" :eek:

.... and of course, the command "Padlock" on something or other given to your wingy or backseater ..... :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of Tallies*, guess we need to discuss difference between Bogies (no Joboy jokes, please!) and Bandits

*Legacy British version is "Tally-ho" ("Chap" ending is optional)

Bogey = ID unknown
Bandit = Bag guy, but not Hostile (i.e., you can't shoot him)
Hostile = Bad guy. Kill him.

The precise definitions of "Bogey vs. Bandit vs. Hostile" for AIC ROE purposes still changes regularly. Usually when the AF dudes at Nellis declare "we're doing it this way now, so everyone else should too, 'cuz we're Joint". "Bandit" as a declaration seemed to be dying out, but I'm not sure on the classification level of the reasons, so I'll leave it at that.

There's a great but obscure Monty Python sketch where a bunch of RAF fighter pilots suddenly can't understand each other's banter.
Pilot 1: "Tallyho, chaps! Jerry cabbage crates over the briney! Pop in your stringbags and get the bacon delivered!"
Pilot 2 (to Pilot 3): "Did you understand that?"
Pilot 3: "Didn't get a word of it."

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tally is a bad guy, visual is your wingy.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Stupid question: why is the Navy so reluctant (my impression) to allow NFO's to transition to pilot?

Kind of screws up career advancement/fitrep windows..

I've heard "angels" stateside, too --- just not as often.

Usually when dealing with a former mil controller or in a high mil area.. Heard it on Jax Center bunch... And occasionally with Socal.. But Tally is still fairly common.. I recently used it with Boston and the rogered back w/a copy tally on the traffic.. With all this RVSM there seem to be a lot more traffic calls.. What is up with you people carriers flying in the middle of the night/morning... Only are shcedules are suppose to suck...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stupid question: why is the Navy so reluctant (my impression) to allow NFO's to transition to pilot?

As a pilot contract that got sidelined at NAMI (excessive refraction error and need for NFOs) and couldn't get a waiver, I switched to NFO pipeline with intent to transition later (different eye standards once you are winged). As the time I could apply approached, I discovered that it would put me back into training command non-observed FITREP situation and result (due to my seniority) in me showing up as a Nugget pilot Dept Head (we had one on cruise and I saw how that went). By then, you want to be a Strike Lead instead of a wingman trying to work through section and division lead quals. I wasn't excited about being that guy. But, the program was shut down for awhile when I would have been elgible so it wasn't an option. When I got to Pentagon and worked with guys who were in on discussion as to revive and keep it going as an incentive. They wrestled with issue that sterling performance as an NFO didn't always translate to the front cockpit. I heard the "corporate" view that yield rate wasn't that impressive and even those who made it through the pipeline were either really good or mediocre (they kept tally of mishaps and near mishaps/FNAEBs of transition guys). And the money guys presented the business case that regardless of yield rate, it resulted in investment twice of funding to put someone through the training command pipeline and loss of their availability in a fleet seat while they were gone (several years). So it ends up being an incentive argument that gains traction when loss rates start creeping up (ie if you're going to lose someone anyway and you're losing even more pilots in those year groups, can you retain them by transitioning them to front seat?). Popular term for these type discussions today is Human Capital Strategy (includes bonus and payback tours, etc.).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy responses to problems might or might not have anything to do with what actually caused the problem...the important thing is to Do Something. The "no more FO to Pilot transitions" after that Tomcat mishap being one example.

Somebody could crash a computer system by spilling Sprite in the server, and I guarantee you the next day there'd be an ALNAV directing everybody to remove Sprite from the vending machines.

HuggyU2

None
Thanks for the answers, especially the career progression plan.
I've heard the Tomcat accident hurt the transition program, and I've always failed to see how they can blame one person's lack of good judgement to a need to kill a program that others may want to enter.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good advice in general. :D

Speaking of wings, I saw a Mah-reen API stud bombing around with a set of wings that looked kinda like NFO wings: two anchors, but with a compass rose in the middle vice the shield. I vaguely remember seeing a picture of them somewhere as "navigator" wings, but I thought they were a back-in-the-day deal, from when they distinguished between various flavors of NFO/Observer. Someone told me they were for Marine Herk navs. The stud in question had a rack of ribbons, including a Good Conduct, so he was obviously a prior and that would jibe with that, but it's the one and only time I've ever seen them. I just figgered they wore Aircrew wings. Anyone know what that's all about?

To resurrect this part of the thread, the wings are Marine Aerial Navigator wings. They are Navigators on the older C-130's (not J's) and they were enlisted, unless they became CWO's later in their career. We liked to point this out to all of the USAF 2Lt's that were going to just be Navigators for the rest of their career. ;)

There is a guy on the board who was on here at least a few months ago who had them, he was starting flgiht school over the summer I believe.

They were trained at Randolph and used the same sims and T-43's as the Navy and USAF stud's, but they had their own training program and schoolhouse (a nice new one when I was there in 1997). The former Commandant/CO of the school, a ret'd CWO4, was a civilian ground instructor at the USAF Nav school. He was a clestial nav instructor (the Marine training program was heavy on the cel nav if I remember correctly) and was a real character. After a few drinks he would challenge people at the O Club to a push up contest. With the introduction of the J's they shut down the schoolhouse and they will evetually die out.

They actually use the old Naval Aviation Observer (Navigator) Wings that were used by the Navy from 1945-47. Don't know the story behind why they chose those wings but with the history behind them it makes sense.

Wikipedia description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Aerial_Navigator_Badge

Wikipedia MATSG-22 history w/ Marine Navigator school history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Aircraft_Group_22#Marine_Aerial_Navigation_School_history

Wings of Gold article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3834/is_199810/ai_n8811300

MOS description: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl7371.htm

Original Navy wings on page 664: http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP20.PDF

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the answers, especially the career progression plan.
I've heard the Tomcat accident hurt the transition program, and I've always failed to see how they can blame one person's lack of good judgement to a need to kill a program that others may want to enter.

That was when they looked at the other close calls that resulted in FNAEBs (at least one guy I know departed his Tomcat on the departure out of Oceana doing routine systems checks with his flight lead and reverted back to being a good RIO). The good ones were really good (ie DJ Venlet who became a Test Pilot and is now a Vice Admiral), but there were enough scary ones to cause program to be reconsidered several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.