• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

phrogpilot73

Hal pilot has the authority to do many things, while commanding respect along the way...The bottom line is (as stupid as it may be) cutting my hair to that degree would be a type of sacrifice for me and telling me to "rethink" my aspirations isn't for him to say, especially based upon one response. You can't make stabbing comments at people and except them to sit there quietly and say "thank you sir, may I have another?" (well at least until I get to OCS, I'm sure I will be doing that all the time) But for now, I'm still a civilian, with an opinion and I might as well get it out of my system.
I think that the point HAL was trying to make was that if you view cutting your hair as a sacrifice, you may not really know what you're getting into. That doesn't even remotely come even within the same zip code as close to some of the sacrifices you will have to make as a commissioned officer. A wiser response would be to ask him why he wanted you to rethink your aspirations, because the statement that the loss of personal identity/cutting your hair is a sacrifice tends to point out that you may not REALLY know what you're getting into. And, for what it's worth - not many of us did.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
In the grand scheme of life, yes haircuts are not a sacrifice. But, in my life, right now it is some sort of a sacrifice. There is a thing called personal identity and in an ideal world full of wise, humble people placing any sense of self on appearance wouldn't exist...We all care about how we look to some degree...
About my username, of course it's spelt wrong, that's part of the fun..The only thing is says is that I don't take myself too seriously. I can't wait to learn how things are "around here".

Well gee, no shit! I think the folks who sketched out the syllabus of events at OCS on a paper napkin thought about personal identity before they started building the school. I think maybe part of the idea is to remove personal identity during the indoc phase along with the various other things they do to create uniformity.

That was just my impression when I was there. I could be wrong......

eyzondapryz

I expect it and dread it, but oh well, what needs to be done will be done...My hair will grow back, but if I NPQ for pilot somewhere along the way in OCS, going back into the civilian world with my new fabulous haircut would to say the least...suck. This is where my biggest concern is derived from. If I can re-designate, fine, I'll do that but going back to where I'm at now with such a drastic haircut would scare even my closest friends:0

k_smittay

Does this mean she cannot keep her Gucci, Paris Hilton, bug eye sunglasses either during OCS?

Step, freeze, I think not.

phrogpilot73

I expect it and dread it, but oh well, what needs to be done will be done...My hair will grow back, but if I NPQ for pilot somewhere along the way in OCS, going back into the civilian world with my new fabulous haircut would to say the least...suck. This is where my biggest concern is derived from. If I can re-designate, fine, I'll do that but going back to where I'm at now with such a drastic haircut would scare even my closest friends:0
Forget how to spell Dorothy, problem solved!

k_smittay

Get over it. It is what it is. Don't like it? Don't join. Done.

eyzondapryz

Just to clarify for all you women feasting on my apparent "prissiness", so what I'm bummed to cut my hair to an aghastly short length. I just found out today about the realities of the situation, shock and surprise are not uncommon reactions..Don't you worry about me, I'm sure you would never be able to guess who I was in OCS based on who you think I am here...Oh yeah, I love my gucci sunglasses by the way.

eyzondapryz

Just to clarify for all you women feasting on my apparent "prissiness", so what I'm bummed to cut my hair to an aghastly short length. I just found out today about the realities of the situation, shock and surprise are not uncommon reactions..Don't you worry about me, I'm sure you would never be able to guess who I was in OCS based on who you think I am here...Oh yeah, I love my gucci sunglasses by the way.

sanders

I did not have to worry about the whole haircut thing since I am a guy but I was certainly worried about seemingly trivial things before attending OCS, just as eyzondapryz is. Not going to lie, if I was a girl I would probably be a little worried about the hair thing too. I don't think anybody here can truthfully say they did not worry about something that others might consider trivial or immature.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor

Stop.... digging. Seriously.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None

Where to begin?!? For the record, I like my hair really short and would shave it if my wife wouldn't stop touching me when I did...

1. I never agreed to the explanation for why men had to get haircuts. The MOI always said it's so we can maintain hygiene in field, keep it from getting caught in machinery, keep ourselves low maintenance etc...

Then... they allow the females to grow their hair down to the middle of their backs. I got really nasty looks when I called them on that, "...so what about their safety and keeping snatch hazards away from machinery, hygiene, and low maintenance? Hmmmm?"

It's a double standard. It's BS. For the record, I don't mind women having short, long, mid-length hair... just don't feed me that line of rationale. Just tell us that the standard for men are that standard because that's the way the military likes it.

2. The fact that you are even thinking about this conveys that your eyes are not on the prize, but suggests that you're more concerned and centered around your vanity. When I was in your shoes getting my head shaved like a Buddhist monk wasn't even on my mind... I was worried about being competitive in the O-course, getting low times on the mile swim, getting 100%s on my exams, etc. Not how stupid I looked in too tight khakis, ugly PT gear, etc... I was in heaven and living the dream just being there and having the chance to live my young life's dream.

Just saying what's being conveyed in your posts...

eyzondapryz

My eyes are definitely on the prize, but with concerns as well. Which I'm sure everyone has about something..Yeah I will be the first to admit I'm vain about my hair, something that will change shortly..About being concerned in other aspects of OCS, I definitely am, but for me deep down I know I can achieve anything I put my mind to...I will fall, but I will also get up. I will be bummed about cutting my hair but I will also find some kind of peace in it....eventually. It's crazy how such a topic has created such a swarm of hornets...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I had posted this earlier then removed it thinking it was a bit harsh. But now....

bitchgoawaybv6.jpg