• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

long X-Country flights

beau

The wind is your friend....or your enemy. Usually, the jet stream will help you going east and hurt your going west. I did a x-country from Meridian to SD and back....going out I was fighting a 70 knot head wind and was only getting about 400 mile legs. Coming back I got to 41,000 and a 100 knot tailwind....did a 650 mile leg from Yuma to Lubbock with enough fuel for 2 approaches....then from there to Meridian at 670 miles..with fuel to spare. Needless to say always, always check winds at altitude before you strap in and always plan a divert short of your intended destination.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
None during Primary, probably lots during Jet advanced, although you will always be in a formation with at least one instructor. I believe there is an Airnav solo in prop and helo advanced, done with another student and as an out/in.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's an Airnav "solo" in HTs, you're just w/ another student. A jet thread, I know, but let's be realistic.

gte544j

There's one solo x-c in Jet advanced, but right now you can only go to full military fields, and can only do one leg each way. Lots of opportunities for dual x-c though.

mts4602

There were 3 T-34s at the Air National Guard base in Louisville today as I drove by...I wonder if it was anybody from here?

FLY_USMC

pilot
Atually there's 2 solo X/C's in Advanced, if you count AN-13 which is essentially a solo X/C, you just don't stay the night. Pretty much anywhere that's within one bag of gas and approach or two is fair game. AN-18 is the true solo X/C, except in TRW-1 you can only go to P-Cola, Jacksonville, MEI, Jackson, and maybe one other, unlike 6 months ago where you could frigain go anywhere you wanted essentially. Whoever made up this approved airfield list, ie the NFO at CNATRA, isn't gettting my vote come election time.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The solo AN-18 has looooong been only to a navy field for the overnight, VT-9 style. I know VT-9 lets you have the jet for the weekend, whereas VT-7 makes you come home.

Firebert

Not a good Commando name
pilot
Went to Jax from Meridian on my AN-18...stayed the weekend...VT-9 was good sh!t

Also made it from Meridian to Brunswick with one stop...about 12-1300 miles total (@FL410). Had enough gas for 2 PAR's @ Brunswick.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
The solo AN-18 has looooong been only to a navy field for the overnight, VT-9 style. I know VT-9 lets you have the jet for the weekend, whereas VT-7 makes you come home.

actually that happened to my class and the one just before us. it went away because the command didn't trust us, and there was always that "rule" that said we couldn't. I asked. No rule anywhere on the books, so a buddy and I were the first to get the go ahead for wherever we wanted. Granted, it WAS NAS JAx.

The overnight thing happened right after my AN-18. Lenny and PJ took jets to Pensacola for the weekend. Bastards.

FLY_USMC

pilot

No way? Are you sure? I can give you names of guys that are winging right now that all went to Charleston for their AN-18. And then shortly after they started this "only 5 destinations" are approved bs.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
When Jake was around, and Special was the Instrument stan guy, there was rumor of this "five places" crap. I asked the question and no one found it on paper anywhere. Special brought it to my attention that that 5 places thing is bullshit.

McGhee Tyson, Jackson, Pensacola, Birmingham(?), those are part of the "5" right?

My flight had to be in and out, no RON. Then a week later two guys take 2 jets to Pcola for the weekend.

I'm pretty sure since I was there. (April 2006-ish)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When Jake was around, and Special was the Instrument stan guy, there was rumor of this "five places" crap. I asked the question and no one found it on paper anywhere. Special brought it to my attention that that 5 places thing is bullshit.

McGhee Tyson, Jackson, Pensacola, Birmingham(?), those are part of the "5" right?

My flight had to be in and out, no RON. Then a week later two guys take 2 jets to Pcola for the weekend.

I'm pretty sure since I was there. (April 2006-ish)
Will confirm w/Squid . . . I was there at the same time and the weekend thing popped up literally days after my out-in to KPNS. You guys who are there have better gouge on anything that might have changed since . . .

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Will confirm w/Squid . . . I was there at the same time and the weekend thing popped up literally days after my out-in to KPNS. You guys who are there have better gouge on anything that might have changed since . . .

I hate flying into and around Birmingham...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
We (vt9) were told that we can take the jet for the weekend to either jaxs, new orleans, pcola, or key for the solo xcountry. Key sounds pretty interesting....