• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

long X-Country flights

USNMark

How do these work during flight school? Is there a minimum or maximum distance they want you to fly? Just curious. It'd be fun to fly to March ARB and let my family watch

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Three factors...

1) You get three legs out and back so...three full bags of gas will get you just so far.
2) Instructor tolerance...in other words Fargo ND may be just the same flight time as Las Vegas but good luck getting an instructor to want to go with you.
3) Your butt's tolerance to having a T-34 strapped onto it for 8 hours or so in a 24 hour period.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
No wind? Right around 500 miles with reserve seems right. At max blast probably more like 400-475. SOP requires us to maintain 180# reserve...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm lurking...but, since this is in the Jet Training thread, you think he was looking for the T-45 answer?

USNMark

If thats true and judging by his profile, wouldn't you say the "candidate" is getting a little ahead of himself?...

I'd say the candidate is curious nonetheless. I'm a pilot right now (which means JACK S*** in a Naval Aviation forum, I know), but the fact remains that I'm familiar with the X-country regulations as they pertain to private pilots, I was merely curious to know what the Navy's x-country flights are like. Thank you by the way for the info everyone.

eye_malfunction

How do these work during flight school? Is there a minimum or maximum distance they want you to fly? Just curious. It'd be fun to fly to March ARB and let my family watch

I live in Riverside too. That would be nice to fly into March ARB for the family to see. As far as I know the only jets that fly out of there are those 3 or 4 CA ANG F-16s that are always there. They never really fly much to begin with. I've only seen one "jet" trainer fly from there (T-38). Who knows though.

FLY_USMC

pilot
If you climb into RVSM territory and don't have to buck an enormous headwind, you'll get 550 miles on one bag-o-gas in the T-45. That doesn't leave much gas for bouncing or approaches, so it better be VFR. I've done Salina, KS----->Meridian, MS non-stop so do the math.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
El Centro to El Paso to Houston to Meridian was definitely doable with some gas to spare. You'll be burning 1100-1200 pph at max range. You'll max thie thing out @2+00 with one approach and the controllers giving you favorable vectors. Going east is much easier than west, for sure.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd say the candidate is curious nonetheless. I'm a pilot right now (which means JACK S*** in a Naval Aviation forum, I know), but the fact remains that I'm familiar with the X-country regulations as they pertain to private pilots, I was merely curious to know what the Navy's x-country flights are like. Thank you by the way for the info everyone.

You can usually plan to go where you want, as long as it gets the X. I flew to PT Mugu in the T-2C years ago to meet the family. I assume thats what you're looking for. However, you will have to reach that milestone first. BTW, I'm from that area, grew up in La Verne. My mom and sister now live in Rancho and Corona. Place has grown up since my young days in the 70's.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
X-Cs in VT/HT are determined by:

1 Where you want to go.
2 Where instructors want to go.
3 How long you can keep the jet.
4 Where OPS & SOP will let you go.
5 How many X's OPS will let you get on the X-C
6 How far a full bag of gas will get you

...at least thats how it works in TW-6... (from a student perspective)