• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living on a Sailboat

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
UNLESS you have a boating background, don't do the live aboard.. Not until you've been a non livaboard owner..
Learn to sail dingys (Basics) it's alot like flying but on a vertical plane. Then mybe a J-24 to learn Kites. Then maybe someting you can take in the Inter-Coastal.
Not to dribble in your Cheerios...like I said, guys have made it work in the past, but if you're interested, I'd start learning about boats now to get familiar with them so it's not an "all-in" endeavor when you arrive to start the FRS. Oh, and also, don't forget you might get Lemoore or OKC as a duty station. Then boat owning adds a whole other layer of complexity.

So essentially, what you guys are all saying is that I really should be taking....baby steps? :D

But yeah, you guys are right, this was all a lot to take in, I should start working my way up to it instead of just trying to jump right in. Maybe start small, if I have some free time when I get to Pensacola and wait for API to start, etc.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
A family member of a friend lives on a boat. All I know is I thought "that seems like a simple, badass, cheap way to live." Then I found out the amount he paid cor yearly fees and upkeep could get you a mansion instead of a 30' boat and I said f that.

MasterBates

Back in 2007 when I needed a cheap living situation ASAP, my uncle offered me his 32 foot boat CHEAP ($1, he was getting divorced too).
While not a house boat, it was livable..

The cost analysis was that it was CHEAPER to buy the Puma for $24k or so, than get the 32 footer from FL (I was in Corpus) and either sail it or have it trailered over to NGP with the increased slip prices vs RV spot, and maintenance.

Of course, "I live on my boat" does sound better than "I live in a RV" with most women.

exNavyOffRec

I know that even as a fairly experienced power boat owner, having had (or parents had) a 19' or bigger boat for 30 of my 34 trips around the sun, I'd be leery of living on a boat. Especially with deploying. Your head would spin at what 9+ months of "deferred maintenance" on a boat in salt water looks like.. Especially if your cathodic protection shits out 1 month in.

Concur, I have seen many boats that have sat for months, doesn't look good, you don't want to keep a boat in water unattended for months on end, boats are a place where you spend lots of money, you could spend you money somewhere else, here are some examples: women, alcohol, women, alcohol, and more women.

How is my use of comma's?

WEGL12

VT-28
3999676_20120618061316_1_LARGE.jpg

Is this one better? http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Bayliner-Explorer-32/133334631
Only problem is that it's been in freshwater only, but I understand there's measures I can take to prep it for saltwater use. But one problem at a time.

I would strongly advise staying away from Bayliner. Maybe the older ones are a little better but they are known to be cheaply made especially the hull design. I have heard some horror stories about them and I wouldn't cross a 100 foot pond in a 50 foot Bayliner.

Also if you plan to live anywhere near the ocean or gulf you need to get a deep v hull. A houseboat isn't made for anything except flat calm weather.

WEGL12

VT-28
A little off topic, but what is the general opinion on owning a boat near the end of flight school/first sea tour? I am a big offshore fishing guy and want to buy a 25-30 foot center console type boat. It will be on a trailer so there will be no issues with a marina and moving from one location to another. Main reason I am asking is I don't want to buy a boat and only have a handful of days a year where I have time to use it. It's a ways in the future but this thread got me thinking about it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A little off topic, but what is the general opinion on owning a boat near the end of flight school/first sea tour? I am a big offshore fishing guy and want to buy a 25-30 foot center console type boat. It will be on a trailer so there will be no issues with a marina and moving from one location to another. Main reason I am asking is I don't want to buy a boat and only have a handful of days a year where I have time to use it. It's a ways in the future but this thread got me thinking about it.

I know a lot of guys that owned boats in flight school and beyond. If that's your hobby, then why not? It aint mine, and I don't have the money to dump into that pit, but it is fun for the rest of us that don't have boats. Barring orders to Japan or Tinker, there is a pretty good chance you will have somewhere to take it on weekends or whatever. Even Meridian had a lake.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I know a lot of guys that owned boats in flight school and beyond. If that's your hobby, then why not? It aint mine, and I don't have the money to dump into that pit, but it is fun for the rest of us that don't have boats. Barring orders to Japan or Tinker, there is a pretty good chance you will have somewhere to take it on weekends or whatever. Even Meridian had a lake.
Plenty of dudes own boats. Several in my squadron own offshore CC boats and get after it on weekends. What's better than owning a boat? Having good friends who own a boat.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's better than owning a boat? Having good friends who own a boat.

There's more truth to that then you know. When I first moved to Pensacola for instructor duty, I so badly wanted to buy a boat. My wife convinced me not to buy a boat but make friends with squadron mates that has boats and offer to pay for gas & lunch for outings. I tell you that was one of the best decisions because not only did I dive and fish as much as I wanted, I got off cheap.

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
That's good advice...I've been bugging my wife for a boat. She said I can get one toy only; there's a red 1988 Porsche 911 that I want, a suzuki sv 650, or a hydra sports dc202....

decisions, decisions.

1988_911_Carrera.JPG

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's good advice...I've been bugging my wife for a boat. She said I can get one toy only; there's a red 1988 Porsche 911 that I want, a suzuki sv 650, or a hydra sports dc202....

decisions, decisions.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

decisions, decisions.

1988_911_Carrera.JPG
With that 911 you would be a minny hinge bad chad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
He's always dropping hints whenever brumos gets a nice late 80s 911 in. I have to remind him I didn't marry an anesthesiologist. Also, I'm not a fucking day walker.