• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living on a Sailboat

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
First, what is the Puma? I think you've mentioned it before on another thread. All I can find when I look online is tanks and shoes.
Second, what about the other end of the boating spectrum? I think FLYTPAY mentioned a Catalina sailboat earlier on this thread. So maybe I start out with a sailboat so I don't have to shell out a few grand a year on fuel, and then if I really like the whole houseboat idea, I'll consider upgrading later.
http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Catalina-34-Tall-Rig/118094451
Here's one from '88, just under $50k. Diesel engine, too.

MasterBates

used%202009%20palomino%20puma%2031fkbs%2001.jpg

It's kinda famous. Search young padawan. There is much to learn.

phrogpilot73

It's kinda infamous.
Fixed it for you.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd invest in a good (diesel) truck that would last me a long time, and quality travel trailer. Live in that until I get married, and have a shit ton of money in the bank (or for drinking).

MasterBates

That camper has hosted everyone from drunken applicants who went raging at the O-Club (and are now winged aviators), to Admirals stopping by for a beer or two, to then-current and future Blue Angels.

The Puma saved me so much money, I bought a house on the beach while still paying alimony.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
First, what is the Puma? I think you've mentioned it before on another thread. All I can find when I look online is tanks and shoes.
Second, what about the other end of the boating spectrum? I think FLYTPAY mentioned a Catalina sailboat earlier on this thread. So maybe I start out with a sailboat so I don't have to shell out a few grand a year on fuel, and then if I really like the whole houseboat idea, I'll consider upgrading later.
http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Catalina-34-Tall-Rig/118094451
Here's one from '88, just under $50k. Diesel engine, too.

Do you know how to sail?

MasterBates

UNLESS you have a boating background, don't do the live aboard.. Not until you've been a non livaboard owner..

Gatordev probably knows more about living aboard a private vessel than the rest of us. I'd take his advice in this arena over all others.

I know that even as a fairly experienced power boat owner, having had (or parents had) a 19' or bigger boat for 30 of my 34 trips around the sun, I'd be leery of living on a boat. Especially with deploying. Your head would spin at what 9+ months of "deferred maintenance" on a boat in salt water looks like.. Especially if your cathodic protection shits out 1 month in.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Do you know how to sail?

I've never lived/worked on a power boat, so take this with a grain of salt, but this is a very valid question. If you're not sure what the hell the different liney things do, then figuring out what is broken/has issues is even tougher. Have guys done it before? Sure. But while worrying about the FRS/qualifying/deployment workups/etc, trying to figure out why that one halyard is not moving or why anchor chain locker keeps growing water/mold may not be on your list of priorities.

UNLESS you have a boating background, don't do the live aboard.. Not until you've been a non livaboard owner..

I know that even as a fairly experienced power boat owner, having had (or parents had) a 19' or bigger boat for 30 of my 34 trips around the sun, I'd be leery of living on a boat. Especially with deploying. Your head would spin at what 9+ months of "deferred maintenance" on a boat in salt water looks like.. Especially if your cathodic protection shits out 1 month in.

Not a bad place to start. Going full-on live-aboard with no real boating experience will be a wake-up, and adding the "deferred maintenance" into the picture with underways has the potential to complicate things. You may also have to add parts to a boat in order to survive a longer period away (it's amazing how many boats have no real valve system in place).

Not to dribble in your Cheerios...like I said, guys have made it work in the past, but if you're interested, I'd start learning about boats now to get familiar with them so it's not an "all-in" endeavor when you arrive to start the FRS. Oh, and also, don't forget you might get Lemoore or OKC as a duty station. Then boat owning adds a whole other layer of complexity.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
No, but there are classes at NS Norfolk Sailing Center if I do decide to go this way:
http://www.cnic.navy.mil/NorfolkSta/FleetAndFamilyReadiness/ThingsToDo/Recreation/Marinas/index.htm

Live in an apartment with your bros. Take those classes (I used to teach them) and rent those boats. Take that Catalina 310 (a crummy performing weekend cruiser, but people like it because it is easy) out around the Chesapeake bay and figure out if you like the idea of living in something slightly bigger than a tent. Spend the rest of your time at work, or chasing skirt.

Seriously- those courses were designed for mil folks to learn to sail and have some fun with it.

What's the old saying? If it flies, floats or fucks your better off renting?

Unless I was cruising the islands for a couple years I wouldn't live aboard a boat. Seriously dude, it was pretty effing cold here in Va Beach last week, and in the summer it gets hotter than hades with little or no breeze. You're going to want to be in a house outside of the sailing/boat season.

MasterBates

When I was living in the Puma, there was a guy living aboard a boat at NAS Kingsville.

So you can do the Lemoore or OKC thing.. But campers tend to be 5 star hotels vice Motel 6 on any boat an average JO can afford.
Marine heads tend to be much smaller than the equivalent camper, never mind the actual living space.