• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I wonder how fast you rotate on takeoff in that... 1° per second for fifteen seconds or something?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
That’s awesome it flew. I’d really like to see their flutter analysis though and testing.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So, is it two pilots in the left fuselage and two co-pilots in the right?;)

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Was looking at some of the paintings on www.artbywayne.net and an unusual airplane caught my eye. Turned out to be the Vought XF5U - the "Flying Flapjack". Very interesting design with a projected speed of 477 knots at 28,000 ft but with the ability to fly quite slow, it was overtaken by jets. The propellers had a flapping design similar to helicopter main rotors and the position of the propeller blades at the tips counteracted the induced drag. Perhaps some of the test pilots here want to contribute some thoughts.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone have thoughts on this: Celera 500L. A 22 to 1 glide ratio, pusher prop and diesel engine? The performance - claimed - is remarkable.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Anyone have thoughts on this: Celera 500L. A 22 to 1 glide ratio, pusher prop and diesel engine? The performance - claimed - is remarkable.

View attachment 28470

View attachment 28471
I’m going to give it a down but only because I don’t fly to get places, I fly to see things.

Jim123

pilot
The big question is whether the powerplant can deliver the necessary power at 50-60,000 feet and do it with reasonable fuel efficiency.

The airframe looks right enough to deliver that impressive L:D. They're advertising it as a safety thing (of course) but I think it's even more important because that efficiency will allow the airplane to get up really high.

There's also an article about it in the Technicalities column in this month's Flying magazine, but unless you're a paid subscriber then you'll have to wait another month or two before it's released to the free version of the website.

Pags

N/A
pilot

View attachment 28470

View attachment 28471
Looks like somebody brushed up the plans for an XP-56 for the 21st century.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

View attachment 28470

View attachment 28471
On a couple of aviation websites, this aircraft is being referred to as the flying butt plug.

The manufacturer is claiming there will be an electric engine version too. So vibrating...

Jim123

pilot
Electric razor 9 times out of 10.

CxR1.gif