• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
15 December 1944, a UC-64 Norseman crashed in the English Channel. There was speculation that it was caused by either icing or returning RAF Lancasters dropping their payload over the ocean after a failed bombing raid. This flight had a famed passenger, the famed Big Band leader, Major Glenn Miller.

View attachment 28495

View attachment 28496

View attachment 28498

View attachment 28497

Turn-needle-and-ball-only probably made for some scary nights in English weather.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Turn-needle-and-ball-only probably made for some scary nights in English weather.
I think that was pretty standard for that era. I don't know the exact timeline not when attitude indicators came into use but, in general, it seems like they were rare in early war a/c and became more common in the "second generation" of WWII aircraft. For instance, P-40 had turn needle ball but the F4U, F6F, and P-51 had AIs and turn needle ball. So my guess is AIs came into use around 1940 and probably only on newer aircraft at first.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think that was pretty standard for that era. I don't know the exact timeline not when attitude indicators came into use but, in general, it seems like they were rare in early war a/c and became more common in the "second generation" of WWII aircraft. For instance, P-40 had turn needle ball but the F4U, F6F, and P-51 had AIs and turn needle ball. So my guess is AIs came into use around 1940 and probably only on newer aircraft at first.
The Gloster Gladiator had one (mid-late 1930s), probably something to do with it being from a country where it rains a lot:

Fairey Swordfish too (same era, both airplanes first flew in 1934). This was right about the time the Brits standardized their blind flying panels in a neat sixpack, but for whatever reason the Swordfish layout is a bit haphazard:

Scans credit: In the Cockpit: Flying the World's Great Aircraft ISBN 0856136271

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Are you just talking military? I thought they were still widely used for AG Spraying.
There was one not too far from me that was used for parajumping too- which was its original purpose, just not recreationally in the pursuit of amusement by evil capitalists.
?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, you are saying the Azeris no longer have them in their inventory, either.

That's presuming they used up all their bait. After their recent performance I wouldn't want to underestimate them and what they have.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
i remember being in the A-6 rag, seeing a briefing on the A-12 and some O-6 was telling us Jg's how much he wished he could swap places with us. How we were going to get to fly the Avenger in a few years, yada yada yada....

then, my first squadron decomm'd after my first cruise, then my second squadron decomm'd after my second cruise, then pretty soon there was no more VA

Ah, the story of the modern HSC pilot!