• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Flying Dorito. Would you Naval Aviator-types want to fly that???
Why not? In an alternate past, I could have selected VA Whidbey and logged time on the VR-1355 in a freaking stealth triangle. That could have been cool.

Maybe someone would have thought I was a UFO . . .

HuggyU2

None
Why not? In an alternate past, I could have selected VA Whidbey and logged time on the VR-1355 in a freaking stealth triangle. That could have been cool.

I was being completely facetious.
If I was flying in the Navy, I’d want to fly it too.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Fun fact: the word facetious has all the vowels and they're in alphabetical order (makes it pretty easy to spell without spell check). Facetiously is the only word that has all the vowels, that is if you believe the letter y is a vowel (and Pluto is a planet, which of course it is, damnit).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Fun fact: the word facetious has all the vowels and they're in alphabetical order (makes it pretty easy to spell without spell check). Facetiously is the only word that has all the vowels, that is if you believe the letter y is a vowel (and Pluto is a planet, which of course it is, damnit).
The insights from Percocet, alcohol, and a healing broken elbow :)

Jim123

pilot
The insights from Percocet, alcohol, and a healing broken elbow :)
Ha! I wish... the meds were disappointing (i.e. zero side effects) and I chickened out of trying alcohol at the same time.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ha! I wish... the meds were disappointing (i.e. zero side effects) and I chickened out of trying alcohol at the same time.
I had to have surgery probably 11+ years ago now, and afterwards, the Navy docs gave me two prescriptions: the usual Motrin horse pills and some Vicodin-enhanced Tylenol.

I took one dose of the latter a couple of days into my convalescent leave, and it freaked me right the hell out. I was high as a kite for probably a day, and I think I drug-dialed my parents. Decided enough was enough of that crazy shit, flushed the rest, and stuck with Motrin from there on out.

Jim123

pilot
I had to have surgery probably 11+ years ago now, and afterwards, the Navy docs gave me two prescriptions: the usual Motrin horse pills and some Vicodin-enhanced Tylenol.

I took one dose of the latter a couple of days into my convalescent leave, and it freaked me right the hell out. I was high as a kite for probably a day, and I think I drug-dialed my parents. Decided enough was enough of that crazy shit, flushed the rest, and stuck with Motrin from there on out.
That just makes the fish get stoned instead, ha ha fish. Some of them probably even hallucinated about being mammals.

I suspect the medical establishment has dialed things back on the pain management pill train these days (too much bad press). I got the same thing you did, Vicodin by a different brand name (no Motrin though), but my experience was nothing at all like you described. I suppose they prescribe small or large pills, or how many mg per pill, based on your body weight and they just tell everybody "take 1 pill every 4-6 hours." Maybe several years ago a guy my size would have got the next strongest pill. Either way, all it did was take the edge off and that was enough to let me get restful sleep, as in normal dreams and no unusual, untoward, or regrettable telecommunications... heheh.

I couldn't tell you why one doc prescribes Vicodin and another gives you Percocet (which I did not get) or whatever else they look at to write a prescription.

That's pretty funny about calling your parents. :p

(If they are going lighter on pain med prescriptions these days then that is a very good thing, IMHO.)

johnboyA6E

None

i remember being in the A-6 rag, seeing a briefing on the A-12 and some O-6 was telling us Jg's how much he wished he could swap places with us. How we were going to get to fly the Avenger in a few years, yada yada yada....

then, my first squadron decomm'd after my first cruise, then my second squadron decomm'd after my second cruise, then pretty soon there was no more VA

HuggyU2

None
Has the Navy talked about having dedicated VA Super Hornet squadrons?
Or is that just a dumb idea all around?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has the Navy talked about having dedicated VA Super Hornet squadrons?
Or is that just a dumb idea all around?
The dumb idea all around was my Hornet pilot NOSC CO telling me with a straight face that there was no need for VAQ, because if VFA folks could learn mining, they could learn jamming. :rolleyes:

I’m sorry, who planned all your HARM shots again, Skipper?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
15 December 1944, a UC-64 Norseman crashed in the English Channel. There was speculation that it was caused by either icing or returning RAF Lancasters dropping their payload over the ocean after a failed bombing raid. This flight had a famed passenger, the famed Big Band leader, Major Glenn Miller.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
15 December 1944, a UC-64 Norseman crashed in the English Channel. There was speculation that it was caused by either icing or returning RAF Lancasters dropping their payload over the ocean after a failed bombing raid. This flight had a famed passenger, the famed Big Band leader, Major Glenn Miller.

View attachment 28495

View attachment 28496

View attachment 28498

View attachment 28497
It strikes me that in that time period everybody had the same idea for a utility airplane at the same time. The Howard DGA-15 looked close to the same aircraft and saw extensive service with the Navy as an instrument and radar trainer.