• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
10k on a yo-yo
3k single cycle
1.5k double cycle

S-3 was a shitty tanker.. It was a stop gap measure..
I haven't tanked off an S-3 for about 14 years, but I thought I remembered the single and double cycle numbers being a bit more. Those are sub-Rhino numbers. Was there some sort of equipment they may have taken out in later years to raise the fuel on board? Also, I'm not confident enough about my memory of the numbers to call your poker bet!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Another trick of the Wright Brothers’ Flyer was the ability to fly backwards, or at least according to the state of Ohio.

Ohio toiled 15 months on license plate, missed backwards plane​

1641335702415.jpeg

It's an oversight North Carolina could not help but exploit.

“Y’all leave Ohio alone,” tweeted the Department of Transportation in North Carolina, where the Wrights first achieved powered flight at Kitty Hawk in 1903. “They wouldn’t know. They weren’t there.”

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Another trick of the Wright Brothers’ Flyer was the ability to fly backwards, or at least according to the state of Ohio.

Ohio toiled 15 months on license plate, missed backwards plane​

View attachment 34311

It's an oversight North Carolina could not help but exploit.

“Y’all leave Ohio alone,” tweeted the Department of Transportation in North Carolina, where the Wrights first achieved powered flight at Kitty Hawk in 1903. “They wouldn’t know. They weren’t there.”
See the excellent commentary here…

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I missed this from a few months ago but the Navy purchased an RAF E-3D AWACS to be a bounce bird for the E-6 fleet. The RAF retired their E-3 fleet last year after neglecting it for a while, they were flying just 2 or 3 of the original 7 planes by the time were retired, and they are selling them off now and buying three E-7 Wedgetails to replace them. The purchase makes pretty good sense, the RAF E-3's and E-6's along with the French E-3F's were all part of the last batch of 707's off the production line in the late 80's and early 90's. I know VQ-7 had a pair of 737's as trainers but I think those were retired a while ago.

1643220196074.png

This isn't the first time the Navy has bought used Brit birds, the Blue Angels' new 'Fat Albert' is a former RAF C-130J and we bought the entire Harrier GR.7/9 fleet when they were retired.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I missed this from a few months ago but the Navy purchased an RAF E-3D AWACS to be a bounce bird for the E-6 fleet. The RAF retired their E-3 fleet last year after neglecting it for a while, they were flying just 2 or 3 of the original 7 planes by the time were retired, and they are selling them off now and buying three E-7 Wedgetails to replace them. The purchase makes pretty good sense, the RAF E-3's and E-6's along with the French E-3F's were all part of the last batch of 707's off the production line in the late 80's and early 90's. I know VQ-7 had a pair of 737's as trainers but I think those were retired a while ago.

View attachment 34423

This isn't the first time the Navy has bought used Brit birds, the Blue Angels' new 'Fat Albert' is a former RAF C-130J and we bought the entire Harrier GR.7/9 fleet when they were retired.
Seventy two Harriers?! Where do they keep them?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In pieces? They were bought for parts, don't know where they parked them.
Right. But they are not likely all in pieces. As I now have some experience with this. The best way to store usable parts on a donor aircraft is on the aircraft. You pull some number of parts for immediate inventory and leave the rest of the aircraft as is. Can't imagine investing time and money pulling off 72 engines, 288 landing gear, 14 flaps, etc and maintaining that inventory for years. On Ranger our Whale broke off it's refueling probe in the IO. They literally had to wait for one to be removed from a plane at Davis Monthan and shipped to the boat. They didn't even have a refueling probe cannibalized and sitting on the shelf somewhere.

edit: Just found the AMRAG inventory down in Tucson. Three GR.7 and 47 GR.9 parked at DM.