• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Right. But they are not likely all in pieces. As I now have some experience with this. The best way to store usable parts on a donor aircraft is on the aircraft. You pull some number of parts for immediate inventory and leave the rest of the aircraft as is. Can't imagine investing time and money pulling off 72 engines, 288 landing gear, 14 flaps, etc and maintaining that inventory for years. On Ranger our Whale broke off it's refueling probe in the IO. They literally had to wait for one to be removed from a plane at Davis Monthan and shipped to the boat. They didn't even have a refueling probe cannibalized and sitting on the shelf somewhere.

edit: Just found the AMRAG inventory down in Tucson. Three GR.7 and 47 GR.9 parked at DM.
Sounds like what the Jawas do whenever they acquire new hardware.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Courtesy of 4 massive Pratt and Whitney R-4360 Wasp Majors, the Republic XF-12 was the fastest 4 engine piston airplane ever made. Designed as a high speed, high altitude recon aircraft, it’s competitor was the Hughes XF-11. Although both were overtaken by jet aircraft and not produced, it was certainly a beautiful machine.

1644613882222.jpeg
1644613946074.jpeg

1644613994685.jpeg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? The Rainbow? Brought to you by the distinguished company that gave us the entire Thunder series of aircraft from Thunderbolt thru Thunderchief to Thunderbolt again. They must have gone out of business over the shame.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Really? The Rainbow? Brought to you by the distinguished company that gave us the entire Thunder series of aircraft from Thunderbolt thru Thunderchief to Thunderbolt again. They must have gone out of business over the shame.
I get it, Rainbows bring sunshine. In the those days the sunshine was in the bellies of B-29s. Beware the rainbow

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it is time to see “what might have been” from Russia? I give you the SU-47.

6602D6EB-1378-47FB-BB10-7B52D113FF57.jpeg

Officially nicknamed Berkut (Russian for the “golden eagle”), the Su-47 was originally built as Russia's principal testbed for composite materials and sophisticated fly-by-wire control systems, as well as new airframe technologies. It featured thrust vectoring and was “interestingly” similar to Grumman’s X-29!

number9

Contributor
Maybe it is time to see “what might have been” from Russia? I give you the SU-47.

View attachment 34618

Officially nicknamed Berkut (Russian for the “golden eagle”), the Su-47 was originally built as Russia's principal testbed for composite materials and sophisticated fly-by-wire control systems, as well as new airframe technologies. It featured thrust vectoring and was “interestingly” similar to Grumman’s X-29!
1. See a Grumman X-29
2. Add a 2nd engine
3. Apply black paint
4. ?????
5. Profit

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
240 knots... and unoccupied, which suggests a higher-risk test. Envelope expansion gone wrong?

Joby appears to be one of the front-runners in the eVTOL space. They gave a solid brief on their product at SETP '21. Hopefully they'll recover, and continue with their program.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Once in competition for the army/navy attack helicopter business (1960’s) was the Piasecki 16H Pathfinder II and III. It could fly at forward speeds of up to 225 mph. It was highly maneuverable in forward speeds, flew sideways up to 35 mph, was flown backwards at 32 mph and numerous autorotative tests were made. The ringtail anti-torque system was as simple as it was advanced and offered good flight characteristics. In the end it lost out to the Cobra mostly because of initial production costs.

82E56D80-BBCD-4E57-96E7-57ADE89EEE86.jpeg
P.S. I should note that the company is worked to revive the idea using an H-60 married to a compound system like above to build the “Speedhawk.”