• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
10k on a yo-yo
3k single cycle
1.5k double cycle

S-3 was a shitty tanker.. It was a stop gap measure..

Only 10K? That is what the anticipated V-22 tanker variant is supposed to carry. The Corps is planning to dis-establish several squadrons of Ospreys - which are obviously quite similar to the Navy’s new COD….

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
A carrier based tanker is a compromise by its nature, I think. Unless they figure out how to fold up a KC-10 then whatever the platform is going to have limited give, maybe not fast enough to keep up with the strike package, they have a special logistics tail, or-

The five-wet configured KF-18 doesn't have any of those problems but it uses up valuable traps and cycles, which is just a different kind of expensive.

KA-6 and KA-3 were similar concepts (make a support platform by adapting a strike platform to carry a lot more gas) and when they were out of airframe life then they went away.

Don't forget that Douglas invented the buddy store because the A-4 had such a small fuel capacity, and it used up so much of that getting off the deck and up into cruise. It was a really clever solution but it is also another form of compromise.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
With some reference to the conversation above I am reminded of the B-58 Hustler. Designed to serve as a “medium” bomber, it relied on a robust aerial refueling capacity to reach targets in the Soviet Union. The picture below shows the massive fuel tank that was dropped with the onboard H-bomb! I saw one at an air show as a kid and it seemed totally sleek and cool, but only lasted 10 years in service.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Only 10K? That is what the anticipated V-22 tanker variant is supposed to carry. The Corps is planning to dis-establish several squadrons of Ospreys - which are obviously quite similar to the Navy’s new COD….
Yup…. Those were rough planning numbers.. However my last trap was 21 years ago and some change so I could be wrong but I’m sure enough about those numbers that I would be all in if this were a poker game.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
With some reference to the conversation above I am reminded of the B-58 Hustler. Designed to serve as a “medium” bomber, it relied on a robust aerial refueling capacity to reach targets in the Soviet Union. The picture below shows the massive fuel tank that was dropped with the onboard H-bomb! I saw one at an air show as a kid and it seemed totally sleek and cool, but only lasted 10 years in service.

View attachment 33563

We were talking about the B-58 today and the movie Fail Safe. Too fast for the fighters of the period to catch. I believe it had 4 J-79’s ?

Some pictures of the B-58 from the trailer for Fail Safe.

jmcquate

Contributor

View attachment 33563
My neighbor growing up designed the nose gear for the B-58. It has a very complicated retraction and extension because of that massive drop tank.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
We were talking about the B-58 today and the movie Fail Safe. Too fast for the fighters of the period to catch. I believe it had 4 J-79’s ?

Some pictures of the B-58 from the trailer for Fail Safe.

I like how the pilot’s mission packet reads MOSCOW and the co-pilot looks at him like…”As in Idaho…that Moscow?”